CHAFFEY HIGH SCHOOL TOURNAMENT OF BANDS

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

sjyanik
New Recruit
New Recruit

CHAFFEY HIGH SCHOOL TOURNAMENT OF BANDS

Post by sjyanik » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:36 am

Just letting everyone know that Chaffey High School still has plenty of openings for our 47th annual Tournament of Bands, on November 8th, adjudicated by SCSBOA. Get that last qualifying score in! 47 years of experience-a 62 acre campus- we have plenty of experience and plenty of room for everyone! Just go to our website at www.chaffeyband.org, click on resourses to download your application. The dealine is October 24th. Hope to see all of you there! :D

-Steve Yanik
-Director of Bands
-Chaffey High School

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: CHAFFEY HIGH SCHOOL TOURNAMENT OF BANDS

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:44 pm

VORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at this show in 1970 as a 4 year old, watching then-PHS director Kandy Schoenholz lead my freshman bass trombone playing brother and the rest of "The Pride" through their paces. I have the old programs from back then, which of course, would be a VALUABLE addition to the Vore Book of Lore. Get...Vore's Book of Lore. Oh I kill me.

Jeeeeeeeeeeez...1970???

Some of the band parents nowadays weren't even born in 1970. :cry:

Is there a bridge nearby I can jump off of???? :whistle:

pnut
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pnut » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:VORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at this show in 1970 as a 4 year old, watching then-PHS director Kandy Schoenholz lead my freshman bass trombone playing brother and the rest of "The Pride" through their paces. I have the old programs from back then, which of course, would be a VALUABLE addition to the Vore Book of Lore. Get...Vore's Book of Lore. Oh I kill me.

Jeeeeeeeeeeez...1970???

Some of the Band Directors nowadays weren't even born in 1970...
Eric Samson
El Dorado HS

sjyanik
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by sjyanik » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:20 pm

I was actually born in 1970. This tournament has come a very long way! :wink:

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:57 pm

I was born in 1957 and marched at Chaffey in 1972 (which means Ryan was 6!!!!) *sigh*

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:57 pm

fieldshowqueen wrote:I was born in 1957 and marched at Chaffey in 1972 (which means Ryan was 6!!!!) *sigh*
Which means I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!! I went to Chaffey all four years...70-73!! Holy COW!!!!!!!!

And Samson...you and I are gonna have a little chat, aren't we? :blast: :shoot: :hmrd:

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:07 pm

Jeeeeeeeeeeez...1970???

I marched in the Chaffey HS Band Pageant in the fall of 1963 as the trumpet section leader of the Anaheim HS Band.

The top band at the event in 1963 was:

Pasadena HS - Benton Minor, Director

I was the drum major of the Anaheim HS Band in the fall of 1964 when we marched in the Chaffey HS Band Pageant. The band review was held in the morning and the field tournament at night. We were thrilled to win the Field Show Sweepstakes that evening.

The top three bands at event in 1964 were:

Anaheim HS - Don Wilcox, Director
Arcadia HS - Ron Hoar, Director
Grossmont HS - Jim Nichols, Director

And yes.... I HAVE THE PROGRAMS FROM THE 1960's!

Ryan, I need to borrow your programs for the book....

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:14 pm

vore wrote:
Jeeeeeeeeeeez...1970???
I marched in the Chaffey HS Band Pageant in the fall of 1963 as the trumpet section leader of the Anaheim HS Band.
The top band at the event in 1963 was:
Pasadena HS - Benton Minor, Director
I was the drum major of the Anaheim HS Band in the fall of 1964 when we marched in the Chaffey HS Band Pageant. The band review was held in the morning and the field tournament at night. We were thrilled to win the Field Show Sweepstakes that evening.
The top three bands at event in 1964 were:
And yes.... I HAVE THE PROGRAMS FROM THE 1960's!
Ryan, I need to borrow your programs for the book....
vore 8-)
OK ... Ryan was 5-6 years old when I marched Chaffey and I was 5-6 years old when vore marched Chaffey. I sense a pattern ... LOL
And ... personally I think The Book is more like the Volume of Books at this point. Chaffey will be in its 60th year when said Book is published at this rate.

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:35 am

fieldshowqueen wrote: And ... personally I think The Book is more like the Volume of Books at this point. Chaffey will be in its 60th year when said Book is published at this rate.
So you're an optimist.

I'm thinking 60th decade. :read:
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:38 am

fieldshowqueen wrote:And ... personally I think The Book is more like the Volume of Books at this point. Chaffey will be in its 60th year when said Book is published at this rate.
THE BOOK will make Stephen King's unabridged "The Stand" look like a newsletter. :cool:

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
fieldshowqueen wrote:And ... personally I think The Book is more like the Volume of Books at this point. Chaffey will be in its 60th year when said Book is published at this rate.
THE BOOK will make Stephen King's unabridged "The Stand" look like a newsletter. :cool:
More like a tri-fold brochure...

sjyanik
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by sjyanik » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:02 pm

It is so awesome to see so much history here! Hopefully that will encourage some more groups to come on out and join us on November 8th, to be a part of it! Oh for those of you that remember, Jim Downs is still our voice of the Tigers by the way!

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:50 pm

sjyanik wrote:It is so awesome to see so much history here! Hopefully that will encourage some more groups to come on out and join us on November 8th, to be a part of it! Oh for those of you that remember, Jim Downs is still our voice of the Tigers by the way!
My goodness... Jim is STILL there? He was annoncing the shows back in the 1980's. His daughter played trombone in my youth band way back then, along with several other Chaffey kids.

Hey Steve, poke your head in the band room some Monday night an say hi. I play in Jack's tuba section.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Camaro guy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Camaro guy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:56 pm

As long as we're all remembering the Chaffey Tournament, here's my 2 cents... The 1965 Chaffey Band Review was the first parade I ever marched in and my high school band had a very good day as we won the parade sweepstakes award. The trophy is STILL on display in the trophy cabinet in the band room. Marching on beautiful Euclid Ave was very impressive for a young high school sophomore (my high school was a 3 year school back then). The LAST time I marched the band review was in 1972 as a member of the Cal State Long Beach "Big Brown Music Machine". We were the guest band and marched the parade in the morning and the field show in the afternoon. Marching the parade was pretty tramatic for me because I was the right guide in the first rank and our director, Larry Curtis, marched right next to me and could hear every blessed note I played. We only had a day or two to learn the march (Big Red Machine by Bill Hill) and I only had it memorized up to the trio. I guess I did a pretty good "fake" job with the end of the march because I'm still alive to tell this story. Talk about PRESSURE!!!
Don't make things harder than they really are. Emphasis on the basics of musical performance will fix many problems.

Suhibandman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suhibandman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:16 am

That's so crazy...

-Don Wilcox gave a clinic to my high school band that I still remember vividly to this day...

-Ron Hoar was my concert band director up at the Wildwood Music Camp in Arrowhead (or Big Bear, wherever) for the two years I went.

-My first high school gig was taking over Jim Nichols' job at Southwest HS when he retired. He showed me some videotapes of his Grossmont band and some highlights from when he was there.

Small world after all...