What Makes a Band Truly Great

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

fidave
Rookie
Rookie

Re: What Makes a Band Truly Great

Post by fidave » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:05 pm

While I suspect Dennis to too humble to suggest a broader distribution of his "notes on a scorecard", I would make this required reading not only for incoming instrumental students but their parents as well. Too many parents have issues with these finer points, particularly with #12.

Great bands get "beat" by great bands and even lesser bands all the time. The trick is knowing how to respond when it does happen (both at that event and next week's event). Great bands don't "expect" to "win". But they do expect to perform well.
A Smith & Wesson Always Beats Four Aces

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:51 am

I've posted it on several other marching forums (with appropriate attribution), including IndianaMarching.com. I'm doing my part. 8-)

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

What Makes a Band Truly Great

Post by dr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:19 am

Well the season is now well underway and it's time for me to re-post this humble submission according to a few directors. Enjoy.

dr
Semper Musicus
800M miles/hour! It's the law!

Andy Julian
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Andy Julian » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:32 am

Thank you, dr! This is awesome. I'm including this in my weekly e-newsletter that goes out to my students, parents, and staff today. This will help us all keep focus going into the last few weeks of the season.