BOA St. George Regional 2011 line-up

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

BOA St. George Regional 2011 line-up

Post by airons0678 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:47 pm

This just in, and I think this is significant enough to post in the Marching Bands forums...

BOA St. George Regional line-up

7:30 TBA
7:45 Unitah, UT
8:00 Tooele, UT
8:15 Mountain View, ID
8:30 Stansburg, UT
8:45 West Valley, CA
9:00 Timpanogos, UT
9:15 Monarch, CO
9:30 Highland, ID

9:45 Break

10:00 Orem, UT
10:15 Covina, CA
10:30 Arbor View, NV
10:45 Sky View, UT
11:00 La Cueva, NM
11:15 J.M. Hanks, TX
11:30 Clovis, NM
11:45 Mayfield, NM

12:00 Break

12:45 Davis, UT
1:00 Corona del Sol, AZ
1:15 Lehi, UT
1:30 American Fork, UT
1:45 Grantsville, UT
2:00 Vista Murrieta, CA
2:15 Westlake, UT
2:30 Mountain Crest, UT

2:45 Break

3:00 Montezuma-Cortez, CO
3:15 Coronado, NV
3:30 Fountain Valley, CA
3:45 Foothill, NV
4:00 Upland, CA
4:15 Lone Peak, UT
4:30 Mead, WA
4:45 Clovis West, CA

Judging Panel:
Music:
Wayne Dillon
Don Hill
J.J. Pipitone
Ronnie Rios

Visual:
Lee Carlson
John Howell
Tim Ochran

-Alan

thomas9tran
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: BOA St. George Regional 2011 line-up

Post by thomas9tran » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:50 pm

This is going to be one interesting BOA competition with some pretty tough bands. Any idea on rankings for Prelims? :)
Sophomore in Fountain Valley High School
Baritone Member
Class of 2014
2010-Love and War
2011- Monolithic
2012-????
2013-????

"Rise to the ranks and become the best of the best. That's what a musician should be"

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Well, according to my chart, four schools have never competed at BOA before (Monarch, Mountain View, Stansbury, and Tooele)... and I can't find any scores for Stansbury anywhere.

Based on the most recent enrollment figures I can find in the federal DOE database, the classes should be pretty close to as follows...

CLASS A
Grantsville H.S., UT
Montezuma-Cortez H.S., CO

CLASS AA
Covina H.S., CA
Highland H.S., UT
Mead H.S., WA
Monarch H.S., CO
Orem H.S., UT
Stansbury H.S., UT
Tooele H.S., UT
Uintah H.S., UT

CLASS AAA
Clovis H.S., NM
Corona del Sol H.S., AZ
La Cueva H.S., NM
Lehi H.S., UT
Mountain Crest H.S., UT
Mountain View H.S., ID
Sky View H.S., UT
Timpanogos H.S., UT
West Valley H.S., CA
Westlake H.S., UT

CLASS AAAA
American Fork H.S., UT
Arbor View H.S., NV
Clovis West H.S., CA
Coronado H.S., NV
Davis H.S., UT
Foothill H.S., NV
Fountain Valley H.S., CA
J.M. Hanks H.S., TX
Lone Peak H.S., UT
Mayfield H.S., NM
Upland H.S., CA
Vista Murrieta H.S., CA

My best guess for Prelims results...

CLASS A
1st - Montezuma-Cortez H.S., CO
2nd - Grantsville H.S., UT

CLASS AA
1st - Mead H.S., WA
2nd - Orem H.S., UT
3rd - Tooele H.S., UT

CLASS AAA
1st - Clovis H.S., NM
2nd - Sky View H.S., UT
3rd - Mountain Crest H.S., UT

CLASS AAAA
1st - Clovis West H.S., CA
2nd - American Fork H.S., UT
3rd - Vista Murrieta H.S., CA

FINALIST BANDS
American Fork H.S., UT
Clovis H.S., NM
Clovis West H.S., CA
Davis H.S., UT
Fountain Valley H.S., CA
J.M. Hanks H.S., TX
Mayfield H.S., NM
Mead H.S., WA
Upland H.S., CA
Vista Murrieta H.S., CA

FINALS PREDICTION
85.05 Clovis West H.S., CA
84.10 Upland H.S., CA
84.00 American Fork H.S., UT
83.50 Vista Murrieta H.S., CA
80.95 Clovis H.S., NM
80.35 Mayfield H.S., NM
80.05 Fountain Valley H.S., CA
79.25 Mead H.S., WA
78.60 J.M. Hanks H.S., TX
77.80 Davis H.S., UT

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:00 am

Interesting predictions, Hostrauser.

My observations (I posted this in the Music for All forums): looks like the 2nd half of the day has more potential finalists (about 8) than the second half of the day (4 or 5). It will be a fun show, though, from top to bottom. It's too bad Bel Air is missing from the line-up, and I see on their website that they will either be at BOA San Antonio or "TOB." (I think they would have been a definite finalist here, but probably will not in San Antonio.) I think it will be a shootout between American Fork and Clovis West again, unless another band can steal the show. The judging panel is pretty sweet: Wayne Dillon, J.J. Pipitone and Lee Carlson are the first names to stick out in my mind.

My predictions in terms of finalist placement is quite different than yours, but I will refrain from sharing (being that I teach at one of the schools). I will say, though, that my list of finalists is near identical to yours except I would swap out J.M. Hanks for Sky View.

Anyone else?

-Alan
Last edited by airons0678 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:09 am

I think it is interesting that Kevin picks Upland to finish second in the finals but NOT make the top three in class during prelims.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:40 am

I had Sky View H.S., UT 11th in Prelims, last band out of Finals. They were a tough leave, and it would not surprise me AT ALL if they made Finals. In fact, there are four bands that didn't make "my cut" that wouldn't surprise me if they made Finals: Sky View (UT), Davis (UT), Mountain Crest (UT), and Foothill (NV). Mountain Crest has beaten American Fork in UMEA competitions a couple of times over the past few years, but the BOA judges have yet to warm up to them to the same degree.

I took my rankings and fed them into a random number generator to get a small deviation in scores. Upland was 4th overall in Prelims (by 0.1!) and 2nd in Finals. I think Clovis West, American Fork, Upland, and Vista Murrieta will be the Top 4, in any order, because all these bands should be tight. Clovis (NM), Mayfield, and Fountain Valley should be right behind them, and I wouldn't be shocked if one of them snuck into the Top 4 either.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:44 am

Not relevant to St. George, but relevant to BOA... check out the uniforms Father Ryan H.S., TN is wearing this year. :shock:
Attachments
Father Ryan H.S., TN.PNG
Father Ryan H.S., TN performing at 2011 BOA Regional in Jacksonville, AL
Father Ryan H.S., TN.PNG (358.06 KiB) Viewed 9403 times

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:26 am

Tron? I'm surprise they beat Kell, but since their genius director left Kell for Kennesaw Mountain this year it's not a shocker, per se. And I must say that Father Ryan has produced some great WGI groups.

I don't think Foothill or Hanks or Mountain Crest will be in finals at BOA St. George. I do think they will be strong bubble bands. (Arbor View, La Cueva and Corona del Sol are the only other bubble bands that come to mind, though I am thinking they will be more like top 15 or top 20.) It will be interesting! My hotel room is secured and my tickets are bought for the day. :)

Alan

geefunk1026
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by geefunk1026 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:04 pm

My most influential teacher is the band director at Sky View. This is his second year there, and I have quite a bit of confidence that they will be excellent. I'm bold enough to say that they will have no trouble getting in finals. (hopefully I didn't jinx anything now that I put my full confidence on the line).
Good luck to Mark and FV!

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:47 pm

geefunk1026 wrote:My most influential teacher is the band director at Sky View. This is his second year there, and I have quite a bit of confidence that they will be excellent. I'm bold enough to say that they will have no trouble getting in finals. (hopefully I didn't jinx anything now that I put my full confidence on the line).
Good luck to Mark and FV!
I agree wholeheartedly, Greg. I just saw a recent Youtube vid of Sky View and I am MORE impressed than I was a few weeks back. I think they are a lock for finals.

Now regarding J.M. Hanks...I may have jumped to conclusions...they appear to be making waves in the El Paso region, as they are ranked #3 on the eprocks "Power Rankings" (higher than Bel Air!). Of course, it's always a challenge to tell how El Paso bands are going to do at a BOA event. My experience is that they're usually overestimated, which is not ALWAYS the case, but...even every area of Texas BESIDES El Paso seems to look down on El Paso bands. (It's a whole new world out there.) I have been moderately impressed by bands like Americas...but for the most part, meh. We shall see. For now my bet is that Hanks won't get in, but if they prove me wrong then great.

Thank you for wishing us luck at FV. I know my brother is a big time WoP "lurker," so I'm sure he has read your post and has thanked you in his mind long before this post I'm writing now. :)

Alan

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:56 am

Aaah, I am excited for this. And note that 22 of of the 32 bands competing at this show will be competing at the UMEA sanctioned "Red Rocks" show the night before! (Same stadium.)

Let's hear it for the pageantry!

Alan

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:33 pm

I think the comments on Hanks are right on line. I do not rate them that high. However you might look for Clovis, NM to make some noise. They have won both the Tumbleweed Classic and the Zia Marching Festival this fall. Granted these are not BOA events, however last year they went to BOA Arlington and got there clock cleaned. I think they have learned from that event. They should make some noise in Utah.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:37 pm

JLGORMAN wrote:Granted these are not BOA events, however last year they went to BOA Arlington and got there clock cleaned. I think they have learned from that event. They should make some noise in Utah.
That was 2009. But yes, Clovis has been on a sharply upward trajectory ever since, and I think they're a lock for 5th-8th place.

Biola
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Biola » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Can't confirm any scores but i found out that at the UMEA Red Rocks competition American Fork took first place and Clovis West took second place

ralph92

Post by ralph92 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:48 pm

any idea what the top ten bands at Red Rock tonight 8-)