What happened to this site?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

DAC-1997
New Recruit
New Recruit

What happened to this site?

Post by DAC-1997 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:49 pm

There used to be line ups and results, predictions and reviews, just good conversation about the marching band world. Now...Nothing. What happened???

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What happened to this site?

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Maybe the posters are getting tired. I used to post a lot but I stopped teaching HS marching band 3 years ago. I have noticed the same thing, not much to read here anymore.

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Posting scores started to die away as SCSBOA especially started to post recaps regularly and quickly a bit ago.

Not sure about line ups....I still find those here, they are just usually on the events calendar instead of in the forums, but you are right I have noticed less of them over the last few years.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:45 pm

I think the situation has multiple causes. A big number one reason is social media. Facebook, Twitter and the others have taken all the air out of the room. The usage of ALL internet forums down.

All the circuits finally posting their results in a timely manner also cuts down on anticipation of finding out who scored what.

Everyone is getting busier and just don't have the time to post stuff.

What bothers me is how many abandoned websites and Facebook pages I find while searching for information.

And.... if you haven't checked our Events Calendar and Scores Page you are missing a lot of the information I post that doesn't go in the forum area of the website.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

JCabralBCHS
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by JCabralBCHS » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:10 pm

I am pretty sure most people are just looking on here as a guest without signing in , I currently share this account with a good friend of mine. I tried making an account several times in the past but the security code said it would be put in incorrectly even though it wasn't, Probably why no one tries to make an account

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Another possibility is there isn't anything to write about. Over the years most of the topics have been covered. Sometimes when the postings get interesting, the topic gets locked. Personally I used to check this forum almost every day. Now, maybe a couple time a month.

Humpal
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Humpal » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:50 am

Thank you DAC-1997 for encouraging me to post more often...

:<)

I will be encouraging my students as well,

cjh

tao707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tao707 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:11 am

I think also the problem is that a lot of the old posters have aged out and moved on from band and colorguard and not of new people have signed up here as it used to be

peapod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by peapod » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:36 pm

People used to offer opinions/reviews for events every season. I agree that the amount of information available elsewhere is likely the cause of fewer posts. The SCSBOA score recaps are great and the videos on YouTube are a great way to catch an entire band review, thanks in particular to Luis in SoCal.

However, I miss hearing the opinions of posters here. I know it's a lot of time and effort, but it's great to read the post-performance analyses. I am no expert - my husband was in band, I wasn't, although I've been going to events for years. Nevertheless, I've put my 2 cents in from time to time (hilarious when I do it before seeing the scores because my predictions are almost always wrong).

Am I the only one who is still interested in sticking my neck out?

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:23 pm

tao707 wrote:I think also the problem is that a lot of the old posters have aged out and moved on from band and colorguard and not of new people have signed up here as it used to be
Me, I moved 2,000 miles from California. And the marching band scene in Wisconsin is... not great. Still a lot of Big 10 style, band supports the football team mindset out here. Wisconsin's first ever marching band competition wasn't until 1985, and there are only about 10-12 competitions a year statewide.

I still try to follow the band worlds in several states, but don't have as much to add any more. I'll be heading to BOA Grand Nationals in two weeks, I'll try to write up a review to post here before the holidays.

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cardinal Regime » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:35 am

Hostrauser......don't forget your "march of the year" countdown.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:51 am

Cardinal Regime wrote:Hostrauser......don't forget your "march of the year" countdown.
Been a couple of years since I did that. Just don't have the time any more.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:07 am

Maybe you could count down 10 instead of 100.

Nate.Phung

Post by Nate.Phung » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:07 pm

I think it's just a new age, especially since the rise of Facebook happened during WoP forum's heyday in the late 2000's... I remember my high school days coming onto this forum and actually learning a significant amount about both the parade and field activities. Honestly, it's helped me so much now that I'm on "the other side." :D
Nate Phung
Director of Instrumental Music
Cajon High School
San Bernardino, CA

Jblopez16
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Jblopez16 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:18 pm

This site could be better than the SCSBOA Recaps page if everyone uploaded their recaps. The problem is that I don't have the time to manually type int he recaps after a comp. I wouldn't mind taking and uploading a picture though.
Joel Lopez M.M.
Instrumental Music Director,
Charter Oak High School
Covina, CA