FINAL 2005 ROSE PARADE BANDS & FLOATS

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:02 am

MonsoonTrumpetSectLeadr05 wrote:i heard that the SCV that was at the parade was compromised of alumni and cadets only....ne1 kno if this is tru or not? yea cuz i was sorta disappointed when i saw them....i really expected em 2 totally juss rock the streets, but anywayz...
Disappointed? MAN, tough audience! :lol:

The SCV Tournament of Roses Corps was made up of alumni, cadets, AND current members, to the best of my knowledge.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:06 am

MonsoonTrumpetSectLeadr05 wrote:i heard that the SCV that was at the parade was compromised of alumni and cadets only....ne1 kno if this is tru or not? yea cuz i was sorta disappointed when i saw them....i really expected em 2 totally juss rock the streets, but anywayz...
You must have been watching Channel 5 (KTLA), their coverage caught SCV right during a transition section of their music, the only quite section they played. From atop the media tower I saw them perform throught the entire TV area (both on Orangegrove and Colorado Blvds.) Trust me... they looked and sounded great.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

YES! Magnolia HS (Anaheim) Marched in 1983

Post by Mr Pageantry » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:35 am

and we have a photo of it.. John Hausey was Director at that time... There is no Westview HS in Orange County CAL... AND if there was such a school.. their band was not a competing band.... There is a wonderful WEST HS from Torrance CA and their Warrior Band marched several times under the Directorship of Jim Banim.

Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

InnocentBystander
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by InnocentBystander » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:02 pm

From the looks of it, El Dorado will be the first band from Orange County in 20 years! Wow, that's hard to fathom with all the great bands in the OC.

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

My feet still hurt....

Post by vore » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:33 pm

Yes, the Magnolia "Sentinel" Band & Color Guard of Anaheim, California did march in the 1983 Rose Parade, and my feet still hurt....

In the fall of 1982, the Magnolia Band had one its best competitive seasons. Sweepstakes at the Mt. Carmel Tournament, Azusa Tournament, El Modena Tournament, Arcadia Band Review, Long Beach All-Western Band Review and the Tournament of Champions!

I received a phone call at home from the Rose Parade Band Selection Committee the first week of December just three weeks prior to the parade!!! The Committee was "very impressed" by the Magnolia Band over the course of the previous two months and "wanted to add the Magnolia Band to the parade ASAP".

We put the Magnolia Band & Color Guard on Colorado Blvd. playing Stars and Stripes Forever as we had that entire fall season.

The weather was crystal clear blue and very cold. However, the reception from the crowd was tremendous. I received over one hundred letters from band directors all over the United States wanting to know "how did we get the sound we did from a high school band?" That was the beginning of my band clinics all over the western states... over 200 to date.

However, my feet still hurt!

John Hausey
Director of Bands
Magnolia HS
1976-1997
Last edited by vore on Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GuarDiva04 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:40 am

Is there any specific reason that NO northern california bands were chosen? Beside the fact the the Rose Parade representatives never showed at the Review they were supposed to attend?
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010

bari_benzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bari_benzo » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:53 am

The Selection Process
While the Parade reserves some of its coveted spots for international bands as well as the five repeating bands, the true challenge each year is to select the 15 bands from across the United States. The bands are selected approximately 14 months in advance, and in order to ensure that the entire country is represented, it is divided into 15 regions from which one band is selected to represent that area in the Rose Parade. The Tournament of Roses is not only looking to represent the entire country, it is in search of talented bands with big sound, which requires that each band has a minimum of 175 playing members.
Just thought folks would be interested in reading this :)
Eddie E.
rccband.org Web Administrator
Ramona (Riverside) High School c/o 1999
Suita City Wind Ensemble - Clarinet

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:23 pm

Is there any specific reason that NO northern california bands were chosen? Beside the fact the the Rose Parade representatives never showed at the Review they were supposed to attend?
I heard that since they didn't show up to foothill, they were at lincoln. also, all bands aren't listed yet, so maybe there's still hope for someone...

golfdaddy

2005 Rose Parade

Post by golfdaddy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:53 pm

Congratulations to the North Park Middle School Band for being named one of the bands to participate in the 2005 Rose Parade. This will be the bands 2nd appearance. The city of Pico Rivera is extremely proud to be represented by such a fine organization.

Way to go North Park!! :D :D

Click for the Whittier Daily News Article

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:30 pm

congratulations!! that's very exciting! :cheers:

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:22 am

Oh, ya. I am SOOOO proud of el dorado for making it for next year. It's our first time ever! and apparently it's the first time in 15 years that a school from our county has been chosen. VERY exciting! And someone out there asked if it was the black wigs. Eh, it could've been, but our guard didn't perform with the wigs on the street, so unless they saw our field show and invited us because of that...oh, well. It doesn't matter. We had a great season, so maybe that's why? :D
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

Vaddpopxsquirrel
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Vaddpopxsquirrel » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:47 pm

woohoo! we got into the rose parade!

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:36 pm

:SCREAMS: in random bursts of excitement. i am sooo excited!!!
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:14 pm

Congratulations El Dorado!
Yay for a stronger parade competetor in 6A due to rose parade (it really does toughen you up! Not that you're not good already)

Furthermore, I remember North Park when I was in Middle School, a great contender... but in the Rose Parade? I think they deserve the greatest congratulations of them all. You know how crazy it is for a high school band to march, let alone a middle school band?
No regrets

LTL'98
New Recruit
New Recruit

New addition to the 2005 Rose Bowl

Post by LTL'98 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:14 pm

I would like to congratulate the Benicia High Band on it's up coming second appearance in the prestigious 2005 Rose bowl parade. The BIG ones are always multiples of 5. Well done!
From an unbiased onlooker
:wink: