Section Leader Qualities

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

ThunderBandRocks
New Recruit
New Recruit

Section Leader Qualities

Post by ThunderBandRocks » Sun May 03, 2009 7:08 pm

I want to know what you guys and gals think a section leader should have.

I think a section leader should be able to play their instrument well and have good leadership skills.
"General Mitchell"(2008)-Alto Sax

KingMattIV
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Section Leader Qualities

Post by KingMattIV » Sun May 03, 2009 7:57 pm

All in all, I think that a good section leader needs to have three main qualities- proficiency on the instrument, respect of their peers, and the ablility to set a positive example for the rest of the section.

Needless to say, if an applicant for a leadership position can't play the instrument they are trying to teach, it would be nigh impossible for them to get anything done. That being said, a section leader does not have to be the best player in the section- only the one that can teach the instrument the best.

Secondly, if a no one within the section would actually listen to the section leader, there is no reason to put them in that position. The section would actually have to respect the leader for that leader to be effective.

Finally, a section leader/leader in general must have the ability to hold themself to a higher standard than others within the organization do. If they are not able to, the section would, and rightfully should question that leader's motivation. He or she should inspire people to practice and play better because they themselves are constantly striving to improve.

Hope that helps. :)
Mt. Carmel High School Marching Sundevils- 2004-2008
UC Los Angeles "The Solid Gold Sound"- 2008-2010
Alternative Percussion 2008-2010
Pacific Crest Drum and Bugle Corps 2009-2010
2009 DCI Trombone I and E Champion

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun May 03, 2009 8:10 pm

Great post!

Lets get as much fedback as we can, even if you arent a student leader. I'll post my thoughts after some others do!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

ThunderBandRocks
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ThunderBandRocks » Thu May 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Come on people, let's keep this going
"General Mitchell"(2008)-Alto Sax

KingMattIV
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KingMattIV » Fri May 08, 2009 12:46 pm

Heh, I would contribute more, but there are definently limited discussion points when you're the only one that responded. :lol:

How about we hear from some of the more *cough* experienced *cough* :nenr: members active in the forum. You guys have been around the activity for a lot longer than I have, and I'm sure that you have developed a sense of what you look for in a leader, whether that be a section leader or drum major.
Mt. Carmel High School Marching Sundevils- 2004-2008
UC Los Angeles "The Solid Gold Sound"- 2008-2010
Alternative Percussion 2008-2010
Pacific Crest Drum and Bugle Corps 2009-2010
2009 DCI Trombone I and E Champion

DMPwer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DMPwer » Sun May 17, 2009 10:18 pm

A section leader is of course the heart of the section they lead.

First, A section leader must be proficient at his or her instrument. Being that is key to teaching and guiding other members of the section on their instrument. For example, Flutes have a High G in a piece and the section leader notices some flutes can't hit it or can't finger it right, they should be the ones telling the player how to, or teaching them how to blow to reach that note. If a student has a problem with his or her instrument, they should (before going to the director) ask the section leader if he or she knows how to fix it (for example a loose screw). Usually they know how to. Section leaders should be the ones encouraging others to practice and also practice themselves.

Second, The section leader should be a good leader. What this means is whenever the band director has task set forth for a section (for example, flutes need to learn this piece in sectionals in a week) the section leader should be all over it. The Section leader should learn the piece and teach it to the rest of the section in sectionals. They should in a group, discuss the piece and what to watch for etc. They should also be willing to help players individually if they need be. If the section leader maintains a good character, poise, and attitude during band and outside of it, chances are their section will act the same. Sections look to their section leader in times of need.

Section leaders should be excellent leaders in the entire band as well. Setting up chairs, helping in band activities, helping pack the truck during marching season etc.. These are all qualities of people who should be leaders in the band. During Marching season, the Drum Major depends on section leaders to help keep their sections in order for marching. This is another vital quality of a section leader.

Third, Respect.
This has been mentioned before, but Respect is a key quality to being a section leader. If your section does not respect you, chances are your section leader title will be ignored and then there is no use.. A section leader should be known to be a responsible person with a set of manners as well. They should respect their section so they may get respect back. :)

Problem solver. A section leader should be the first one telling their section to be quiet or behave if any problem arises. This is a way of helping the director and or Drum Major. This could also pertain to Sight reading events. A section leader should also notify the section of a problem and how to solve it in a sight reading piece (If allowed). They should also be the first one to tell the director of any issues in a piece that pertains to the section or even the band in whole.

I could go on and on, but I'll let others post as well :)

Hope this helps.
Umayr Sufi
Granada H.S Asst. Drum Major 2008-2010
Drum Major Instructor
http://www.umayrsufi.com

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed May 20, 2009 6:19 pm

DMPwer...awesome awesome post.
DMPwer wrote:Section leaders should be the ones encouraging others to practice and also practice themselves.
I think the last sentance sums it all up right there. A section is made up of individuals, with each person counting on the everyone else to be able to hold their end up. Not everyone will have the same desire to want to put time in, but if the section leader can demonstrate good habits, that in turn will help inspire good habits to everyone else.

Its very difficult to ask a person to practice more if the section leader isn't putting any effort into it either! 8-)

Second, The section leader should be a good leader. What this means is whenever the band director has task set forth for a section (for example, flutes need to learn this piece in sectionals in a week) the section leader should be all over it. The Section leader should learn the piece and teach it to the rest of the section in sectionals. They should in a group, discuss the piece and what to watch for etc. They should also be willing to help players individually if they need be. If the section leader maintains a good character, poise, and attitude during band and outside of it, chances are their section will act the same. Sections look to their section leader in times of need.
I think your right in saying that in some ways a section leader should almost been an extension of the director. In many cases, some people look at section leaders as extensions of the Drum Majors or Field Captains.

The best of leaders will have something called "initiative". Directors LOVE hearing of and seeing this word in action from student leaders. Often, if a section leader can quickly identify something that needs to be done and gets it done before the director (or anyone else) says anything, then that section leader has demonstrated great initiaitive. Whether that be something on the field, in a sectional, dealing with a poor attitude, etc. Thats not to say you shouldn't involve anyone else (its often advantageous to work in pairs), but there are some things that can easily be taken care of!
Third, Respect.
This has been mentioned before, but Respect is a key quality to being a section leader. If your section does not respect you, chances are your section leader title will be ignored and then there is no use.. A section leader should be known to be a responsible person with a set of manners as well. They should respect their section so they may get respect back. :)

Hope this helps.
This is perhaps one of the most important things to realize. When I was involved with leadership as a student, I really did not do a good job of respecting my section. In fact, I believed that because I was the leader, that somehow granted me a higher status. The result was that not only did my section not respect what I did, but soon the rest of my peers didn't either. Now using proper attitudes and languages are very important to help building that respect, its often the way that we do things that really makes an impact. Don't be afraid to let your section expand their wings a little bit....assume they are good and responsible or that they have the capacity to be that way. They'll notice that your letting them be themselves while your still there as the person they can turn to!

Everyone ends up happy! 8-)
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Forkenhimer

Post by Forkenhimer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:29 pm

Everyone seems to be talking about respect for your section in order to get it back. One way it was described to me was that the section leader may be chosen to be the leader, but when it comes down to it, on the field, the section leader title is insignificant. Section leaders do not have a different color plume, they don't have a huge sign above there head that says "im the section leader", and they are not recognized by the audience as being anything more than someone in the band. It is important that every leader student leader realizes this, in my opinion.

:!:

The point I am trying to make is not that section leaders shouldn't have confidence, but rather that they should be less of a towering overfigure to there section, and more of an equal musician that has knowledge and help to offer.

STEVIE805
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by STEVIE805 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:05 am

In my opinion, the most important thing any student leader can do is to show a sense of pride in their band and section. Openly telling your section that you want to achieve something great and that you truly care about it, will help motivate others and give them the same feeling. It is important that the students realize that the band does not belong to the director or the staff. when in fact the band belongs to all the members; the people who put in the time, money and effort. Those are the people who make the biggest impact on how well a group can do. Granted a good staff is a tremendous asset, it is ultimately up to the students to make sure that their friends and band mates all take pride and care about how their band is portrayed to the community.

typicalkid
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by typicalkid » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:26 pm

I'm just saying..
In the end, it is the Section Leaders who wins the trophies. Without them, their sections/the band wouldn't be able succeed such standards.
Like my director told us, he expects us to learn the music by ourself, he should never at least show us how it is done. It is the section leaders who we should go up to and ask for help, not him. His job is to only build us to be a better band as a whole, so in other words, Section Leaders and the members of the band is what makes the band, the band. But without the director, the band wouldn't come to live. I'm sure all directors say this to their band as well.
Thank you for posting the advices above..
Band is not a matter of life and death... it's much more serious than that!
LPO Marching Band
Clarinet Section Leader 2009-2010
Drum Major Instructor
Drum Major 2010-2011
Marches: Muhledorf (2007) Basilisk (2008) Eagle, Globe and Anchor (2009)

MHSdrummajor2010

Post by MHSdrummajor2010 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:36 pm

i think there are two main things for a leader to go by just from experience.

The first is make everyone in the section better than you. Weather its marching or musician ship make them better by sharing all you know because then the whole section is marching and playing very very well. Plus this helps with keeping the leaders ego out of the way because they are concerned with their section not themselves.

The second is really cliche but true, be worthy to follow.
Mening set a good example in and out of band, and just well be someone people want to respect and follow because they trust that your the right person doing the right things.
Shaina Greensweight
Montclair High School

2007-2008 Percussion Capt.
2008-2010 Drum Major

lpobandgirl

Post by lpobandgirl » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:01 am

In my opinion. A great section leader must be able to not only motivate someone, but to also inspire others. Motivation is like a cup of coffee...anybody can motivate someone to do good for a competition or a marching season, but once the caffeine wears off, they will go back to the same person they were before. But if you truly inspire someone to take pride in what they do, then the band will become great as a whole. This, I believe, is what separates the good bands from the great bands. The good ones have leaders who motivate and the GREAT bands have leaders who inspire.
Samantha Powell
Las Plumas/Oroville HS
Drum Major '06-'08

"Once a Drum Major, always a Drum Major!"

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:49 pm

lpobandgirl wrote:In my opinion. A great section leader must be able to not only motivate someone, but to also inspire others. Motivation is like a cup of coffee...anybody can motivate someone to do good for a competition or a marching season, but once the caffeine wears off, they will go back to the same person they were before. But if you truly inspire someone to take pride in what they do, then the band will become great as a whole. This, I believe, is what separates the good bands from the great bands. The good ones have leaders who motivate and the GREAT bands have leaders who inspire.
Very good advice. Inspiration is very good. I also believe that you need to be able to teach what you know, because there is no point in knowing unless you can spread the knowledge.
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012

jyhk0fe

Post by  jyhk0fe » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:49 am

In order to get absolute leadership traits and qualities, it's highly suggested to equip yourself with proper knowledge. Click on http://skywritingservice.com/blog/how-t ... er-15-tips to learn more about this situation.