Majorettes

Topics covering the dance, drill team, pep squad and baton twirling scene

Moderator: Bandmaster

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Majorettes

Post by dmcoach » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:23 pm

Since there is some resurgence in the parade marching band scene, how long do you think it would take before we start seeing competitive majorettes in front of bands again?
I know there are some on the street, like Don Lugo HS last year and Terra Cotta MS this year, but I'm really wanting to see the competitiveness, abundance, and level that they had in the 80's.

GO MAJORETTES! :bow:
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Majorettes

Post by twinmomma » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:26 pm

I don't know if they'll come back like they were. I think a big part of the problem here on the west coast is a lack of instruction. I can only find local "parks and rec" instruction, but not competitive teams. Now, if I wanted my daughter to be a cheerleader, there's a team for that on every street corner.

I know Foothill in Santa Ana has had a few soloists in recent years with great acclaim, and I believe their current one is quite good.
~twinmomma

Batonmom

Post by Batonmom » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Competitive twirling exsists! There are many coaches and baton competitions in Southern and Northern California. There are State, Regional, National and World Champion twirlers that are actively teaching. Many of these coaches do reach out through Park and Rec programs and have competitive teams. Most, also, teach private lessons for solo twirlers. Southern Calif is mostly NBTA (National Baton Twirling Association) and Northern Calif is mostly USTA (United States Twirling Association) but many coaches have connections to both organizations. Contact the SCBBA (Southern California baton Boosters Associaion) and they can help direct any one interested in baton twirling!

The 8th Darling

Post by The 8th Darling » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:21 pm

NOTE TO MERCED MARCHING 100 BAND DIRECTOR!
BRING BACK THE 7 DARLINGS.
NOTE TO ATWATER HIGH SCHOOL MARCHING BAND DIRECTOR!
BRING BACK THE 6 FALCONETTES
NOTE TO DOS PALOS BRONCO BAND DIRECTOR!
BRING BACK THE 5 BRONCOETTES!

THESE BANDS HAD POWERHOUSE MAJORETTE TEAMS IN THE 60'S 70'S AND 80'S...... MERCED LASTED UNTIL THE 90'S!

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:24 pm

The UIL still has twirling competition in both the team and individual areas. It is primarily held in the regions that have Military Style Marching Bands as they are the Bands that most often have a Line of Twirlers that March with the Band. Look at Longview, Nacogdoches, and Lindale on You Tube and you can see them with a marching rank of twirlers.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq