World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:00 am
Posts: 2
Muzyx4me wrote:
tooweird wrote:
ummm dunno if she's been mentioned...well this isn't my expertise...but Danielle Battisti of Atwater HS swept every band review she's been to in nor cal as drum major...i think that's pretty legendary


I agree. She graduated in June so she won't be with Atwater. She was not only beat out military dm's, but mace too for two and a half years. But she wasn't just a great spinner, she was a fantastic leader. I've heard from judges and directors that she is the role model for other dm's. Diirectors wanted their dm wanna-be's to watch her and get tips. She was always ready to coach anyone.

If you met her, you'd think okay she's nice, but on the street...she commands it. If you didn't get to see her perform, you missed out on an experience. I think she went to college somewhere. I don't know if she's gonna do anything with the band.



I know my kids have learned alot from watching her. I have the aspiring dm's watch her so that they can model her style and smoothness. Wish I could get her to do a few clinics with my students.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:12 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:47 pm
Posts: 686
Location: Marianas Islands
Aside from Mike Kim being classified as a Legendary Drum Major, some other names that I would like to include would be....

Patrick Lacson - Bonita Vista High School
Phillip Samaniego - Bonita Vista High School
Calbert Imada - Castle Park High School
Andrew Lansford- Arcadia High School
Michael Turanitza - Loara High School

At one point in time, each of these Gentlemen offered me words of encouragement to excell in whatever it was that I wanted to do. :cheers:

_________________
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:04 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:22 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Hollister, CA
BandBuz wrote:
Muzyx4me wrote:
tooweird wrote:
ummm dunno if she's been mentioned...well this isn't my expertise...but Danielle Battisti of Atwater HS swept every band review she's been to in nor cal as drum major...i think that's pretty legendary


I agree. She graduated in June so she won't be with Atwater. She was not only beat out military dm's, but mace too for two and a half years. But she wasn't just a great spinner, she was a fantastic leader. I've heard from judges and directors that she is the role model for other dm's. Diirectors wanted their dm wanna-be's to watch her and get tips. She was always ready to coach anyone.

If you met her, you'd think okay she's nice, but on the street...she commands it. If you didn't get to see her perform, you missed out on an experience. I think she went to college somewhere. I don't know if she's gonna do anything with the band.




I know my kids have learned alot from watching her. I have the aspiring dm's watch her so that they can model her style and smoothness. Wish I could get her to do a few clinics with my students.


She is definetely the best military drum major that I've seen in Nor Cal. I've only been paying attention since 2003 though. :oops:

_________________
San Benito Scarlet Regiment
Trombone/Euphonium Section Leader/Student Director:2007-2009
Rifle Regiment-Sousa
The Elephant-Ord Hume arr. Zuniga
Simoraine-Barraclough arr. Zuniga
Boys of the Old Brigade-Chambers arr. Zuniga
Muhledorf-Broadbent arr. Zuniga


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:52 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:20 am
Posts: 293
Location: Sacramento, CA
I'm at work, and can't go through every post, but I've been through a bunch of them and don't see Susan Brown from Foothill (Santa Ana) mentioned. She graduated mid 80's and was a State Champion in Mace (I believe). A video of her even popped up on Youtube recently doing an L Pattern comp. As old as that video is I am STILL in awe of her skills. And as a person, she conducted herself with integrity and the band always did well.

_________________
~twinmomma


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:19 pm
Posts: 5
I am pretty sure a drum major is not all about spinning and scored. It is about what he or she can do for their band in terms of leadership, unity, and mutual respect for one another. I know spinning looks cool and is really fun but a drum major is a drum major because of what they can do for their band. Spinning should come in third on a list of priorities for drum majors right after being a good leade, and staying instep.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:53 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:10 pm
Posts: 119
thunderboy102 wrote:
I am pretty sure a drum major is not all about spinning and scored. It is about what he or she can do for their band in terms of leadership, unity, and mutual respect for one another. I know spinning looks cool and is really fun but a drum major is a drum major because of what they can do for their band. Spinning should come in third on a list of priorities for drum majors right after being a good leade, and staying instep.


You are correct Bret. Spinning skills and scoring are bi-products of a "legendary drum major".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:56 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 14
Quote:
Spinning skills and scoring are bi-products of a "legendary drum major".

INDEED it is true that a drum major must have a very well developed sense of leadership.
Great leaders also posses the ability to want to be great at everything and this gives them the edge to excel in their spinning.
In my own experience, I would follow a drum major if he was a great leader and at least a decent spinner, but if his spinning is not very adept I believe I would second guess his ability to commit to a goal, his goal: help himself in order to then be efficient in being helpful to others.
I think the great drum major is he who is equally good in leading his team and doing his job out in the street, since this reflects his ability to grow through commitment.
Would someone let me know if I share in their point of view and also maybe there's something that I'm not looking into, other things. I love learning new things that other people consider characteristic of a good leader.

_________________
Arturo Cesar Augusto Herrera Leon

Coach
International Drum Major Institute

Glendora High School:
Tartan Marching Band and Pageantry
Drum Major 2008-09


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:38 pm
Posts: 2
Does any one remember Conrad Lucero From Colton High.
He was amazing. He was around 73,74, 75,.
I understand his son Phillip Lucero Moore Middle school, Redlands, took first place at the Chino Band Review. He is amazing, the kid can spin.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:48 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:41 pm
Posts: 1568
Location: Upland, CA
treble clef wrote:
Does any one remember Conrad Lucero From Colton High.
He was amazing. He was around 73,74, 75,.
I understand his son Phillip Lucero Moore Middle school, Redlands, took first place at the Chino Band Review. He is amazing, the kid can spin.


Yes, check my comments on page 2 of this thread. My roomate one year while I was at Cal Poly SLO was Conrad's brother. I watched Conrad at several band reviews back in the day. Its nice to see his son is doing well.

_________________
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:56 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:34 pm
Posts: 18
Hahah. I did not think of making an account for this website until recently since the Glendora drum major had asked me if I had one. So became curious and decided to make one.

In my eyes...who is like one of my best drum major friends, Arturo Herrera (the dm for Glendora this year) is considered pretty legendary. Not only is he an awesome spinner, but he is also a great person whom I have the greatest respect for.

I also tip my hat off to Andrew Park from Whitney. Not only did he do phenomenally last year, but he also did well recently at the La Palma Band Review.

As for going back to the days when I was just about the age of 9 until maybe 13. The Paguio brothers and Nillaga brothers were very good in addition to the Anderson brothers who were awesome spinners. Daneil Lutsch from Orange Glenn, Ben Jiang from Arcadia, and Liz Ballinger from El Dorado were some few fantastic military spinners. Though I have heard countless dm stories about him yet have never seen him spin, Ben Schroeder from Glendora was an amazing person who I met when he used to judge solo competions. I'm sure there is more but I just cannot think of them at the moment.

_________________
Joyce Marie David
Notre Dame High School (Sherman Oaks)
Irish Knight Band
Drum Major '08-'09
International Drum Major Institute (IDMI) Drum Major Instructor
World Drum Major Association (WDMA) Clinician/Instructor


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:18 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:46 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Orange, California
Joyce M David wrote:
Hahah. I did not think of making an account for this website until recently since the Glendora drum major had asked me if I had one. So became curious and decided to make one.

In my eyes...who is like one of my best drum major friends, Arturo Herrera (the dm for Glendora this year) is considered pretty legendary. Not only is he an awesome spinner, but he is also a great person whom I have the greatest respect for.

I also tip my hat off to Andrew Park from Whitney. Not only did he do phenomenally last year, but he also did well recently at the La Palma Band Review.

As for going back to the days when I was just about the age of 9 until maybe 13. The Paguio brothers and Nillaga brothers were very good in addition to the Anderson brothers who were awesome spinners. Daneil Lutsch from Orange Glenn, Ben Jiang from Arcadia, and Liz Ballinger from El Dorado were some few fantastic military spinners. Though I have heard countless dm stories about him yet have never seen him spin, Ben Schroeder from Glendora was an amazing person who I met when he used to judge solo competions. I'm sure there is more but I just cannot think of them at the moment.



Haha Liz Ballinger was my first drum major teacher! When i first became a drum major back in 6th grade...she was my first instructor. she was my drum major in a little youth band called the O.C.L.Y.B. (the orange county lutheran youth band). oh man, ive had some good memories with her. she was a fabulous drum major; yes she was very legendary. she taught me my first spins on the military baton. i love her shes a great girl.

_________________
So wheather you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:25 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:51 am
Posts: 472
Location: Garden Grove
ThePenguin wrote:
Joyce M David wrote:
Liz Ballinger from El Dorado were some few fantastic military spinners.



Haha Liz Ballinger was my first drum major teacher! When i first became a drum major back in 6th grade...she was my first instructor. she was my drum major in a little youth band called the O.C.L.Y.B. (the orange county lutheran youth band). oh man, ive had some good memories with her. she was a fabulous drum major; yes she was very legendary. she taught me my first spins on the military baton. i love her shes a great girl.


*Remembers watching Liz her first year, Imperial Death March playing in the background as she competed, seeing her doing a waist wrap for one of her routines* :yeah:

_________________
Bryan Stewart B. Millares
Drum Major Instructor
Too many to list


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:16 pm 
Offline
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:24 pm
Posts: 3142
Location: Brea, California
I don't know if I've said this on THIS thread before--and I've only been posting on WOP since before electricity was invented--but I know that in the world of great drum majors Ben Schroeder needs to be near the top of the list. I had the good fortune of being involved with the Glendora program while he was drum major, and that was ONE GOT IT TOGETHER dude. Not only a great drum major but just a great kid--although, he's no kid anymore I'm sure.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

_________________
Ryan H. Turner
http://vkdm8687.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:25 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:12 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Central Valley California
Have none of you ever heard of Chad Humpal? Humpal should be the most legendary. None only is he an awesome band director. Mr. Humpal was the first drum major in the state of california to score a perfect 100. That's right. Not only once, but multiple time. This is the one drum major that everyone should be looking up to.

Bret Skinner is also very good. This is his first year being drum major at BCHS and he got drum major sweepstakes at the Santa Cruz Band Review.

_________________
"General Mitchell"(2008)-Alto Sax


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Legendary Drum Majors
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:57 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:41 pm
Posts: 920
Location: Chicago, IL
ThunderBandRocks wrote:
Have none of you ever heard of Chad Humpal? Humpal should be the most legendary. None only is he an awesome band director. Mr. Humpal was the first drum major in the state of california to score a perfect 100. That's right. Not only once, but multiple time. This is the one drum major that everyone should be looking up to.

Most legendary, eh? I'm sure there's no bias in your statement, seeing as how you're associated with Buhach Colony HS and all. Well, I'm sure his spinning ability was great, but I think he's better known for his attitude than anything else.

_________________
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
  http://www.worldofpageantry.com Copyright © 1996 - 2006 Email:  admin@worldofpageantry.com  

Site design and maintenance by Dave Schaafsma at Dave's Web Dynamics