Bob Ward has passed... an era is gone!

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bob Ward has passed... an era is gone!

Post by Bandmaster » Sat May 31, 2008 9:05 pm

I just got the word that Bob Ward, founder director of the Santa Ana Winds and long time Southern California Stanbury Uniform sales representative, has lost his battle wih cancer today. No details yet, more information will be released about any services to come. I have many fond memories of competing with Bob and thw SA Winds and he was a real gentlemen. He even came and spoke at the open house we had when I first started the Sound Machine back in 1984. That is real class, coming to help a competitor create a new band. He will be sorely missed!

Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster
LBJCB 1969-1982
The Sound Machine 1984-1999

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat May 31, 2008 9:13 pm

RIP Bob...and thanks for fitting me a SPECTACULAR drum major uniform for my senior year at Pasadena HS back in 1983 and being a great rep for Stanbury, the Youth Band activity, and music education.

shagadalex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by shagadalex » Sat May 31, 2008 10:12 pm

I received a voicemail from a friend a couple hours ago telling me he passed. Words cannot decribe how Mr. Ward will be missed. I marched with the band for four years and it was amazing how he brought so many people together and changed so many lives for ever. Rest in peace, Mr. Ward! You'll always be in our hearts.
Alex
Santiago High School Marching Cavaliers C/O 2004

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Bob Ward

Post by mightyhorn » Sat May 31, 2008 10:51 pm

Mr. Ward was indeed a true gentleman in every sense of the word. As a "newcomer" the So. CA. band scene, he made me feel right at home. He will be missed in more ways than be described in this forum.
God Speed Mr. Ward

mightyhorn

MarchingBandGuy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MarchingBandGuy » Sat May 31, 2008 11:19 pm

Mr. Ward truly was an important part of the So Cal Marching Scene. He was a great man and left a huge legacy behind. The Santa Ana Winds were pioneers on the street.

He will be missed!
-MarchingBandGuy-

Director
New Recruit
New Recruit

Bob Ward

Post by Director » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:10 am

A fine musician and a great man. I will remember him fondly.
Rest in peace my friend, you will be missed
God Bless America!

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Sad

Post by JCYS » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:01 am

Although I was never in the winds...I had many friends who were, and a couple who attended Santa Ana HS when Bob was there, and I got to know him through them (and through Stanbury). He was truly a gentleman, and just an all around great guy to know. I will miss seeing him at CBDA every year.

jcys

joninchina
New Recruit
New Recruit

A sad day...........

Post by joninchina » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:41 am

I consider myself fortunate to have known Bob for many years.....first as a competitor (when I was with Spirit of Sunnyvale) and later on as a friendly colleague. I never knew him real well, but over the course of time his dedication and commitment were things I REALLY respected. RIP Bob - and thank you so much for ALL the things you did for ALL of us in SoCal.
"There are no such things as problems, only challenges"

-Unknown

euphmastermike

Bob Ward

Post by euphmastermike » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:24 pm

I marched with the Santa Ana Winds from 1991 to 1995, first as a clarinet player and then as a euphonium player. I had been invited by another member of my high school band and went to check it out one day even though it was about a 60 mile drive on a Monday night through traffic. It was my first experience outside of my small high school band. I was blown away by the group and joined immediately. My parents thought I was crazy but when my father (a professional musician) drove me to the first practice as a member, he was impressed to. I spent 5 seasons with the band doing everything from the Hollywood Christmas Parade, Crystal Cathedral Memorial Day Service to the movie Coneheads and even a rootbeer commercial. Mr. Ward always pushed for excellence even when conditions were less than perfect. I ran into him several times in the last few years at the SCSBOA and CBDA conferences and he was still the same person, so devoted to the Winds and maintaining it's tradition and quality. Although I haven't seen him recently and did not have the opportunity to attend the Reunion last August, I will miss him
Mike Freed
Santa Ana Winds 1991-1995

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Some photos

Post by PGOK » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:31 pm

Here is the Santa Ana High School Marching Saints in the 1970 Rose Parade

This photo if from the Stanbury Uniform Catalog

And this is the Santa Ana Winds, just over a year old and preparing for our first tour.

Last edited by PGOK on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:53 pm

Is that 2nd pic on the steps of the old OC Courthouse? Looks sort of like it.

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

What I learned

Post by PGOK » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:08 pm

In my five years as a member of the Santa Ana Winds, I learned a lot from Robert L. Ward.

One of my most enduring lessons was about sportsmanship. Time after time, Mr. Ward (I'm 52, and still cannot conceive of calling him Bob) would tell us before an awards ceremony "Don't just cheer for yourself, cheer for everyone". I have a favorite story from a couple of years after I "aged out", that beautifully demonstrates how the lessons were learned by the band. There is a second part of the story in which another director probably did not teach that lesson, and was incapable of modeling it.

The band was involved in Summer field competition, part of that was standstill competition before the season began. At a standstill competition I attended all of the bands had played, and awards were being announced. The winds were in a group to my right and the other band was to my left. Second place-Santa Ana Winds, First place- the other band. Suddenly the Winds members started moving towards the other band, then hands were extended and EVERY Winds member found someone from the other band to congratulate.

A month or two later both bands were at a field competition, and the placings were reversed. Very soon after the awards I saw the director of the other band SCREAMING at some of the judges. He claimed they were only supposed to be in exhibition. Maybe they were, maybe not, but here's the kicker. If they had been in competition, they would have performed better. WHAT?!? It was at that moment I realized how lucky I had been and how much I had learned.

I have lost a friend and mentor. This is a sad day.

Dean McNair
Santa Ana Winds
1972-1977
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:09 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:Is that 2nd pic on the steps of the old OC Courthouse? Looks sort of like it.
Sure is. It was just a couple of blocks from the YMCA where we practiced.

— Groucho Marx

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Post by supermutant » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:04 pm

a sad day, but what a legacy. Professional, professional, professional
:(

patbutler

bob ward

Post by patbutler » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:47 pm

I have known Bob for over 16 years through Stanbury. There are probably not enough superlatives to describe the man. Although I have only seen pictures of the SA winds, He would tell stories of how his former students contribute to area youth in CA and to society in general. He would always have a twinkle in his eye and smile on his face. ( and a grey goose nearbuy) I know that he was a proud as a "director" could be for every student that went through the Winds.

Rest in Peace my friend

Pat Butler