CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS FROM THE 70'S AND 80'S

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

OZZIE'S YOUTH BAND

Post by LBRSR » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:51 am

Does Ozzie's still exist as a marching band. They had stores?

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:32 pm

Ozzie's began as a musical instrument store in San Diego. It then became a chain. Today there is one store in Poway. The band existed from about 1948 on, for about 30-35 years to the best of my recollection. It was originally an all-boys band, like the Burbank band in police uniforms.

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:50 am

Bandmaster wrote:
Sure do! Who was the director when you were there? Dennis Wortham founded them in 1983, one year before I founded the Sound Machine. After Dennis left Mike Hipp became took over as director.
Hipp was the director when I started. The Grossi family kept the group running... God bless them.
Sean Jenkins, M.M.Ed.
Director of Music
Magnolia JHS
Chino, CA

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Burbank Police Band

Post by CrystalMage » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:03 am

Hey LoyalTuba-ist
Do you remember...

the Riverside Youth Band (they wore green and gold uniforms with tigers on them, if I remember correctly)

the Los Angeles Youth Band (they wore gold coats with red trousers and green trim--same as the Los Angeles city flag)

Ozzie's Youth Band (Ozzie's is now in Poway. But at one time they had several stores in the San Diego area. We didn't have one when I lived in Oceanside.)

the Burbank Police Band (all boys who wore police uniforms)
Thanks for mentioning the Burbank Police Band.. I have a picture of them in my website, but I thought they were the L.A.P.D youth band.. I had forgotten about Burbank! So, I'll change the title in my page in a few days.

There really were a lot of youth bands. I do remember Los Angeles Youth Band, now that you mention it. I don't remember the Ozzie's though. And Riverside, it sounds familiar but I can't place them.

there's a picture I have of a band in green and white. It looks like a Jr. band. But I only remember them from one parade in 71. I'll put their picture up later on and see if anyone recognizes them as a youth band.

Michael
Michael Lopez
Torrance Area Youth Band 1971-1979
Los Caballeros Youth Band 1979 - 1981

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

other youth bands

Post by LBRSR » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:49 am

When I did my first Huntington Beach parade with LBJCB, I remember seeing the Glendale Youth marching by, as we stood in the lineup formation. If I remember correctly, they had blue and white uniforms with the tall furry shakos. I also had them recorded on tape at a South Gate parade. Does anyone know how or why the tall furry shakos were eventually phased out, throughout the years, in lieu of the current style. I know very few H.S. bands still use them.

I also had a recording of the Huntington Park Youth Band. I remember they were the dancing youth band in western attire and I remember their drum section playing the cadence of Bell H.S. I also had a recording of Paramount Patriots Youth Band at a Bellflower parade, all 10 of them. LOL

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

The demise of the tall furry shako

Post by CrystalMage » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Hey LBRSR
Does anyone know how or why the tall furry shakos were eventually phased out, throughout the years, in lieu of the current style. I know very few H.S. bands still use them.
I do remember that near the end of my TAYB days, some of us thought it was time to move on to the cadet hats that many of the drum and bugle corps used. I know at least for me, I had a desire to be more corp-like, seeing things such as shakos as antiquated. Of course, now-a-days, Torrance's shakos were kind of unique.

There was talk of changing our name to the "Scarlet Swordsmen" back then..

I think San Fernando youth Band had shakos as well. I'm sure Los Angeles Youth Band did too.. Would be a good trivia question or questioins.. list the youth bands band then and have two choices to check off - shakos or shako-less LOL

Another hat that seemed rare were the police or officer type hats the Torrance Jr. Youth Band used.

I've never marched with the cadet style hat. I wonder if they were less prone to making one's head sweat as the shako. Or is a hat a hat in that regard. LOL

Michael
Michael Lopez

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

SHAKOS

Post by LBRSR » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:23 pm

I, myself, preferred the shakos over the cadet style hats. I wore the shakos in my H.S. band (Warren) and also in South Gate Youth Band. When I was in California Cavalry, it was F-Troop type hats, in Downey Youth it was Spanish style hats with little red balls hanging off the brim.

The youth bands I remember that wore the furry shakos was Reseda and Westchester Youth bands. Santa Ana Winds as well.

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

HEY MICHAEL

Post by LBRSR » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:27 pm

I just clicked on the link for your youth band site and I liked the recently added pics, but what happened to those black and white photos from the Shrine show. Are you inter changing the pics?

Glenn

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

HEY DAVE

Post by LBRSR » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:29 pm

I remember running into a web site of the SONS LBJCB, but it too, seems to have vanished. Can you tell us how Marvin got a hold or inherited the band. I do not remember how that transpired.

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Hey Glenn

Post by CrystalMage » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:38 pm

Does anyone know how or why the tall furry shakos were eventually phased out, throughout the years, in lieu of the current style. I know very few H.S. bands still use them.
I put the Shrine show on it's own separate page. Click on the picture of the Shrine program and it will take you to that page.

I figure that I'll add whatever pictures I can find to the first page and if I collect enough of individual bands, I can then create their own pages. Oh, the one that I listed as the LAPD Youth Band is really Burbank.

Have you seen the stuff I have for Torrance? It's on it's own separate chain of pages - since I was in it and orginally started out thinking of them.. you'd have to go to the home page..

I might put their link in the Youth Bands of So. Cal page like the rest of the bands, later.

Michael
Michael Lopez

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

MIKE

Post by LBRSR » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:47 pm

How do I get to the home page? For some reason I cannot find it.

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

homepage

Post by CrystalMage » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:52 pm

Glenn,

Oopss.. sorry. I don't have a link back up to it.. it's best just to go to

www.blackboxbuster.com and then you'll be at the home page.

I guess i should add one of them new-fangled "back" buttons. LOL

Michael
Michael Lopez

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

MIKE

Post by LBRSR » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:06 pm

Got it, very nice pics!! Keep up the great job.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HEY DAVE

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:05 pm

LBRSR wrote:I remember running into a web site of the SONS LBJCB, but it too, seems to have vanished. Can you tell us how Marvin got a hold or inherited the band. I do not remember how that transpired.
I posted this to the LBJCB yahoo group email list back on Nov. 11, 2004. This is my condensed version of the story, as told to me by Marvin 30 years ago.
The Long Beach Junior Concert Band was formed after a financial scandal occured in the old Long Beach Youth Band in 1952. Many of the older members quit out of disgust, but got bored. So they talked Marvin into organizing something. He made the arrangements for the basement rehearsal room at Wilson High School and he invited James E. Son, a former member of world famous John Phillip Sousa Band, to come down to rehearse the new band. They had about 40 kids the first rehearsal and Son enjoyed it, so he signed on to be the musical director while Marvin became the executive director. About 1955 or so there was a falling out between James Son and Marvin and the band closed down for a month or so. Finally Marvin called a rehearsal again and invitied Son to return as musical director, but he was a no show at the rehearsal. It was at that point Marvin became the full director of the band and stepped onto the podium. After seeing that the band was continuing without him, Son formed another band and called it the "Original Long Beach Junior Concert Band". The two bands competed against eachother on many occations. At the same time the old Long Beach Youth Band was still in existance, so for a while there were really THREE youth bands in Long Beach at the same time. The Long Beach Youth Band disbanded in the late 1950's and James E. Son's Original Long Beach Junior Concert Band continued until the early 1960's. As we all know, the real LBJCB continues to perform to this day.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: HEY DAVE

Post by vore » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:03 am

Bandmaster wrote:James E. Son's Original Long Beach Junior Concert Band continued until the early 1960's.
I seem to remember seeing this band in my youth. Weren't their uniform colors something like black, gray, white, silver....?

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."