Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: HEY DAVE

Post by PGOK » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:06 pm

vore wrote:
Bandmaster wrote:James E. Son's Original Long Beach Junior Concert Band continued until the early 1960's.
I seem to remember seeing this band in my youth. Weren't their uniform colors something like black, gray, white, silver....?

vore 8-)
WHAT!

You're not sure? It's not in the book?!!

I don't think I can believe in anything anymore.

Sorry everyone, I have to be alone for awhile. :cry:
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

shib

Post by shib » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:24 pm

Although the history of the bands is somewhat complete, there are many of us who played for Jim Son who know that his was the Original and real Long Beach Junior Concert Band. Marvin was never a great musician but James E Son was. He was a sax man with Sousa.

The band however continued until the early 1970's, when Mr. Son's age became a problem in continuing. His library of music is still in existence.
Bill Shibley

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:12 am

shib wrote:Although the history of the bands is somewhat complete, there are many of us who played for Jim Son who know that his was the Original and real Long Beach Junior Concert Band. Marvin was never a great musician but James E Son was. He was a sax man with Sousa.
Well, being that Marvin was instrumental in the original organization of the band in 1952 and helped invite James E. Son to be the musical director, this point will always be debated. True, Marvin was never a great musician, but he also never claimed to be. But he is a great organizer, that's why his band still continues to this day.

I have never heard a definative answer on when Son's band disbanded. I joined Marvin's LBJCB in November 1969 and never saw or heard of Son's band during the whole time I was there. So I had always assumed it was gone by that time.

BTW, I have heard the story of how Son and Marvin parted ways, from Marvin's viewpoint. Someday I'd like to hearing it from Son's viewpoint and compare notes. :wink:
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

GuyW
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: another one...

Post by GuyW » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:31 pm

Chaporch wrote:
corkie wrote: I do remember seeing the 1974 Kingsmen at a parade and thinking "how can they be any good without clarinets and flutes?". :D
. . . and you were right to think that! at that time all DC sounded like "fisher price bands" - thin, pinched, no tone and no pitch! DC has come so far since then in terms of actual musical sounds! Of course, the added tone colors and sophistication that woodwinds bring to the music are still missing :wink:
Simply put - you don't know what you're talking about.

Anyone can go to the xkingsmen.com website and download the 1972 and 1974 Kingsmen fieldshow mpegs...
G-bugle Corps!
Anything else is just....marching band...

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Re: another one...

Post by Chaporch » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:47 pm

GuyW wrote:
Chaporch wrote:
corkie wrote: I do remember seeing the 1974 Kingsmen at a parade and thinking "how can they be any good without clarinets and flutes?". :D
. . . and you were right to think that! at that time all DC sounded like "fisher price bands" - thin, pinched, no tone and no pitch! DC has come so far since then in terms of actual musical sounds! Of course, the added tone colors and sophistication that woodwinds bring to the music are still missing :wink:
Simply put - you don't know what you're talking about.

Anyone can go to the xkingsmen.com website and download the 1972 and 1974 Kingsmen fieldshow mpegs...

I will reply more in a PM . . . but here's my "public" reply

My opinion of early 70's DC is based on my background and training. It is my opinion, you have a different one, and that is OK. I have no desire to listen early 70's DC, you apparently do. Cool, you have that right, go for it!

Modern DC is, honestly, in my opinion, MUCH more musical. And I love listening to it.

and didn't you get my sarcasm? :wink: :wink:

GuyW
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GuyW » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm

OK, Chaporch...peace pipe!

You're still welcome to attend any Kingsmen Alumni events...we even have differing opinions there...
G-bugle Corps!
Anything else is just....marching band...

kavang

Glendale Youth Band Shakos - part of our winter uniform

Post by kavang » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:24 am

Hi -
I just got sent a new link to this site - again :-) Saw your post about Glendale Youth Band. I played flute in Glendale Youth Band around 1969-1970. The wool uniforms with shako hats were our winter uniform. In the summer, we wore white shirts and black shorts, with black knee high socks and white marching shoes, I believe. I enjoyed wearing the high hat. In Burbank High school we also wore them. I remember using my busby (another name for them) to hold Halloween candy and marching at the Friday night game with candy sloshing around inside! I was also a member of Burbank Police Boys Band, Van Nuys Royal Cavaliers - loved field competition and playing piccolo for March Militare Francaise (spelling?), and CSU Northridge Matadors (the first year they allowed girls in the band - 1972). Thanks for sharing on this site and for all of my fine instructors over the years!!!! Still love DCI too!!!!
Ginger Kavan

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

HEY GINGER

Post by LBRSR » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:29 am

thanks for sharing the memories Ginger!!!!

Glenn

WARREN HICH SCHOOL BAND
DOWNEY YOUTH BAND
CALIFORNIA CAVALRY YOUTH BAND
SOUTH GATE YOUTH BAND
CSULB BIG BROWN MUSIC MACHINE
LBJCB

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Post by supermutant » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:47 am

I remember sitting in and rehearsing with Marvin Marker's band in 1967 and 68, unfortunately, we couldn't afford the fees to become a member. Interestingly, I don't remember what those fees were. Ah, the comfort of old age and a fading memory. 8-)

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

hey there..............

Post by LBRSR » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:55 am

We recently had our drummer reunion for LBJCB this past August 18th at Bolsa Chica Beach. We had 60-70 drummers play good ol CB syncopated drum cadences, in front of a very good crowd too. We had drummers from all the different eras, covering the 60's to current drummers. It was a blast. This was our fith year doing it and we will have it again next year, although we are seeking a different venue. Since parking is so bad at the beach, there were a lot of drummers who couldn't play, due to not finding a parking spot.

pamples

Burbank Police Band

Post by pamples » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:50 pm

It is fun to read about all the marching bands from the 70's, 80's. The Burbank Police band was started in in 50's! by two men - Ben Porter and Morgan White (my dad). In the early years, it was the Burbank Police Boy's Band - all boys - and was sponsored by the Burbank Police Dept - hence, the police uniforms. Morgan White was the drum major for years and then the marching director - the "tough guy" with the whistle and the kindest heart in the world. I grew up with the band - later became a banner carrier - and much later married the 1st chair sax player. It was a great time - great memories!

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: Burbank Police Band

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:03 pm

pamples wrote:It is fun to read about all the marching bands from the 70's, 80's. The Burbank Police band was started in in 50's! by two men - Ben Porter and Morgan White (my dad). In the early years, it was the Burbank Police Boy's Band - all boys - and was sponsored by the Burbank Police Dept - hence, the police uniforms. Morgan White was the drum major for years and then the marching director - the "tough guy" with the whistle and the kindest heart in the world. I grew up with the band - later became a banner carrier - and much later married the 1st chair sax player. It was a great time - great memories!
VERY cool for you to post. Don't know if I even said anything in this thread because I post sooooooooooooooooo much up here (to the chagrin of some!! LOL!!!), but my little connection if you will with the Burbank Police Band is I believe it morphed into the Burbank Lancers Youth Band, and I was the "Director of Visual" for them for their 1988 season. I'm fairly confident that the band never went away but just changed names and sponsors...am I correct? Anyone? Hello? Is this mic on??

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Burbank Police Band

Post by Chaporch » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:52 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote: Anyone? Hello? Is this mic on??
mic? you don't need no stinkin' mic! We all hear ya just fine. :D

cw

Demise and Grave Robbing of the Burbank Police Youth Band

Post by cw » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:07 am

Sadly, I know the story here. The BPYB, changed to more corps style outfits, then went through some period of transition where no one can tell me what happened, but I do know there was a great deal of upheval in the two Burbank High Schools whose veteran directors retired or moved on. The Lancers appeared and were run by Steve Piazza, who is now the Director of the LA Winds out of Pierce College, an extremely respected group that makes it's way to Chicago, or wherever, for those big time adult band fests, where they play hard music that no one wants to hear, or play.
Now it gets worse. The CITY OF BURBANK decided that instead of supporting its arts groups, the arts should "compete" for the funds. No one wanted this except for the Parks and Rec Dept. who wanted no responsibilies and the Lancers left for the Antelope Valley, taking with them all the percussion and sousaphones that dated back to the days of the Burbank Police Boys Band. I worked for the City at that time, and tried to get people riled up, but they just didn't care. One less thing to worry about.
Mr. Willet probably can fill in the blanks on this as I heard he was the one captaining the ship under the Pirate Flag.

?

thom
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Demise and Grave Robbing of the Burbank Police Youth Ban

Post by thom » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:04 am

cw wrote:Sadly, I know the story here. The BPYB, changed to more corps style outfits, then went through some period of transition where no one can tell me what happened, but I do know there was a great deal of upheval in the two Burbank High Schools whose veteran directors retired or moved on. The Lancers appeared and were run by Steve Piazza, who is now the Director of the LA Winds out of Pierce College, an extremely respected group that makes it's way to Chicago, or wherever, for those big time adult band fests, where they play hard music that no one wants to hear, or play.
Now it gets worse. The CITY OF BURBANK decided that instead of supporting its arts groups, the arts should "compete" for the funds. No one wanted this except for the Parks and Rec Dept. who wanted no responsibilies and the Lancers left for the Antelope Valley, taking with them all the percussion and sousaphones that dated back to the days of the Burbank Police Boys Band. I worked for the City at that time, and tried to get people riled up, but they just didn't care. One less thing to worry about.
Mr. Willet probably can fill in the blanks on this as I heard he was the one captaining the ship under the Pirate Flag.

?
Actually I had nothing to do with the Band leaving for Antelope Valley. I was working with Scarlet Regiment when that all happened.
I was there the last year that the Youth Band was in Burbank. As for the equipment, you would have to ask others about this, last I saw it was at the Starlight Theatre.

Interesting that your first post, you would name me. Why not leave your name next time.
Thom Willett

Brass Caption Head - SoCal Dream Drum and Bugle Corps