CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS FROM THE 70'S AND 80'S

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

creed61071

Rock Falls High School

Post by creed61071 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:26 pm

I was in the Rock Falls band from 1980 - 1984, I have an older brother that was in the band from 1969 - 1973. His name is John Stites. I was a rifle all 4 years including the winter guard. I marched with Cavaliers from 1982 - 1984.

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS FROM THE 70'S AND 80'S

Post by CrystalMage » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:55 pm

It's great to see this thread is still going!

I finally updated my website. I used Prism to compress/convert the video clips and I'm happier with the results. There's still a delay when trying to play them, but not too bad and some are fairly long clips.

So, if you're interested, my website is http://www.blackboxbuster.com and there's a "Youth Bands of Southern California" page.

On the bottom right part of that page, there's a link to the first clips page, which as excerpts of the Royal's 1979 field show. And on there, on that "clips" page, there's yet another link to a dedicated Los Cabarellos clips page - their 1979 field show and their 1980 shrine show.

For anyone interested in TAYB ( Torrance Area Youth Band ) clips, there's a dedicated set of pages starting from the "Youth Bands of Southern California page" and I compressed their clips as well.

Thanks

Michael
Michael Lopez
Torrance Area Youth Band 1971-1979
Los Caballeros Youth Band 1979 - 1981

Fillydog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fillydog » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:23 pm

CrystalMage wrote:It's great to see this thread is still going!

I finally updated my website. I used Prism to compress/convert the video clips and I'm happier with the results. There's still a delay when trying to play them, but not too bad and some are fairly long clips.

So, if you're interested, my website is http://www.blackboxbuster.com and there's a "Youth Bands of Southern California" page.

On the bottom right part of that page, there's a link to the first clips page, which as excerpts of the Royal's 1979 field show. And on there, on that "clips" page, there's yet another link to a dedicated Los Cabarellos clips page - their 1979 field show and their 1980 shrine show.

For anyone interested in TAYB ( Torrance Area Youth Band ) clips, there's a dedicated set of pages starting from the "Youth Bands of Southern California page" and I compressed their clips as well.

Thanks

Michael
Great. I was there helping with M&M for the Cabbies in I think it was 79 or 80. Also nice you have some LBJCB Shrine Show pics on your site. In the early 70's there was the Bellflower Youth Band that Lee Mitchell directed. Wish I had some pics of that one. We wore tall fur hats that were faded red(pink) and the old Lakewood youth band unis,etc. After that band I then later went to LBJCB since Lee Mitchell had left and the Bellflower basically fell apart.

Phil

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CrystalMage » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:02 am

Hey Phil,

Great to hear from you. Well, we worked together back in those days.

Bellflower Youth Band. I don't remember them off hand. Although, the name sounds famliar, like they used to march in the Downey Christmas parade in the early 70s, is that correct?

Wasn't there a Southgate Youth band as well? I also remember the San Fernando Valley Youth band, because they always played the can-can or something like that while the sousaphone players danced to it. Either that or I had funny trips on my asthma meds back then!

My parents took a lot of photos of parades, particularly in the early 70s, so hopefully, as my father finds more, I'll have more to scan.

Michael
Michael Lopez

Gonzofoto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gonzofoto » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:35 am

CrystalMage wrote: Wasn't there a Southgate Youth band as well?
Yes, there was a South Gate Youth Band. I saw them many times during the late 80s and early 90s in events such as the East Los Angeles Christmas Parade, the Downey Christmas Parade, the Hawthorne Community Parade, and other events. I posted a video taken from a taped broadcast here, and I apologize for the deterioration evident in the VHS tape. I don't know when they went inactive, but apparently it was in the late 90s.

Fillydog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fillydog » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:40 pm

CrystalMage wrote:Hey Phil,

Great to hear from you. Well, we worked together back in those days.

Bellflower Youth Band. I don't remember them off hand. Although, the name sounds famliar, like they used to march in the Downey Christmas parade in the early 70s, is that correct?

Wasn't there a Southgate Youth band as well? I also remember the San Fernando Valley Youth band, because they always played the can-can or something like that while the sousaphone players danced to it. Either that or I had funny trips on my asthma meds back then!

My parents took a lot of photos of parades, particularly in the early 70s, so hopefully, as my father finds more, I'll have more to scan.

Michael
Heh....cool. I also remember Monte's little sister at Magic Mountain, hahaha. :shock: heh.

Yep...there sure was a Southgate Youth band and they were pretty good too.

Bellflower was early 70's and Mitchell had brought in a ton of Centenniel Jr. High kids from Norwalk. When Mitchell left as he was about to take on the directorship of Excelsior high band in Norwalk, we had to do the Downey Christmas parade without him and with only 16 Bellflower members left.(remember, tall skinny pink fur hats....twas embarassing,heh) It was at that parade that Mark Juista, who was a Bellflower alumnus and had marched with his high school band(Bosco), dragged me over to see LBJCB march in with their powerful drum section. I was of course hooked from seeing that and the very next week got my grandmother to take me to my first practice. They were huge and had a ton of older players to look up too. Quite something to be part of with a 30 man trumpet section,etc. Was nice finally "winning" parades too for a change,etc. Learned a ton in LBJCB.

old french horn guy

Post by old french horn guy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:39 pm

hello all from phoenix oregon. the memories just keep coming in. the site with the pics from the parades and field show are awesome. now i need to find the pictures my dad took so i can share with you. it's mostly royal cavaliers, but hey, we are a special group now. thanks for the memories

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CrystalMage » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:49 am

Bellflower was early 70's and Mitchell had brought in a ton of Centenniel Jr. High kids from Norwalk. When Mitchell left as he was about to take on the directorship of Excelsior high band in Norwalk, we had to do the Downey Christmas parade without him and with only 16 Bellflower members left.(remember, tall skinny pink fur hats....twas embarassing,heh) It was at that parade that Mark Juista, who was a Bellflower alumnus and had marched with his high school band(Bosco), dragged me over to see LBJCB march in with their powerful drum section. I was of course hooked from seeing that and the very next week got my grandmother to take me to my first practice. They were huge and had a ton of older players to look up too. Quite something to be part of with a 30 man trumpet section,etc. Was nice finally "winning" parades too for a change,etc. Learned a ton in LBJCB.
It's great to hear your experience. I can imagine being awestruck with such a large band, as LBJCB always had quite a presense about them - I guess that's why they typically would be the last band in some parades, particularly the Santa Claus Xmas parade in Hollywood. And they were typically one band that we, when I was in TAYB ( Torrance Area Youth Band ), would compete with for the sweepstake's trophy at parades. We considered it a grand victory to with sweepstakes because of the quality of our competition, such as LBJCB. As well, the Royals, Whittier and one year, Rock Falls! And a bit later on, the Santa Anna Winds.

I started Torrance, basically following in my brother's foodsteps. He had joined just a few months before I did. His trumpet teacher, Norman Bailey, had been trying to get him to check it out, and when he finally did, he liked it and joined. I was anxious to join too, so I did in February of 1971. I was the youngest and smallest one there, so I can appreciate what you say about plenty of older kids to look up to, to learn from. I had a lot of problems with asthma back then, but somehow, I didn't when i was marching and playing with the band. It was a great activity for me that I could be fully engaged in.
Michael Lopez

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CrystalMage » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:02 am

hello all from phoenix oregon. the memories just keep coming in. the site with the pics from the parades and field show are awesome. now i need to find the pictures my dad took so i can share with you. it's mostly royal cavaliers, but hey, we are a special group now. thanks for the memories
that would be great to see those pictures. The Royals were definitely a fixture in the Youth Band circuit back then.

My computer crashed just after I updated my website, but I'll be able to download all the data onto a new computer once I get one - in the future LOL. If I do gather enough pics and what-not, I'd like to eventually expand it some youth bands have their own pages or threads of pages..

Were you in the Royals when they did the fieldshow in 1979?
Michael Lopez

Fillydog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fillydog » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:35 pm

CrystalMage wrote:It's great to hear your experience. I can imagine being awestruck with such a large band, as LBJCB always had quite a presense about them - I guess that's why they typically would be the last band in some parades, particularly the Santa Claus Xmas parade in Hollywood. And they were typically one band that we, when I was in TAYB ( Torrance Area Youth Band ), would compete with for the sweepstake's trophy at parades. We considered it a grand victory to with sweepstakes because of the quality of our competition, such as LBJCB. As well, the Royals, Whittier and one year, Rock Falls! And a bit later on, the Santa Anna Winds.
I don't remember Rock Falls but I remember the main reason LBJCB would be last band was they were the previous years' sweeps winner, hahahaha.... :twisted: :lol: Dunno if that also had anything to do with being last band in the Hollywood Christmas parade being that it wasn't competitive. There were often other bands much larger than LBJCB in that parade,etc.
CrystalMage wrote:I started Torrance, basically following in my brother's foodsteps. He had joined just a few months before I did. His trumpet teacher, Norman Bailey, had been trying to get him to check it out, and when he finally did, he liked it and joined. I was anxious to join too, so I did in February of 1971. I was the youngest and smallest one there, so I can appreciate what you say about plenty of older kids to look up to, to learn from. I had a lot of problems with asthma back then, but somehow, I didn't when i was marching and playing with the band. It was a great activity for me that I could be fully engaged in.
I so often wish the youth bands would/could come back. I'd love to send my trumpet students to a local youth band especially here in the Inland Empire. LBJCB was large but even better was that there were older CSULB students in the band to look up to also. They did more than just compete in parades tho. Many great concert/stand up performances in parks like for the "Starlight Serenades" in Recreation Park.(thousands would show for that) Movie premiers, Openings of Knott's Roaring 20's section and Disney's Space Mountain. TV show at Knott's with Frankie Avalon, a "Tribute to Ira Gershwin" with Liza Minelli at the LA Music Center, the Hawaii trip(before there was any Invitational), playing "Berlioz Requiem" with the Lakewood Philharmonia, Vegas every spring,.....all kinds of neat fun gigs. Marker obviously knew how to market the band and it greatly enhanced us kids' experience,etc. It was nice to feel like I was part of something big/great, more advanced than my high school band. :wink:
Last edited by Fillydog on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:06 pm

OK ... I was just on one of those Classmates forums and the subject of "that marching group that came to Loara in 1974/75 who had taps on their boots and who were only drums and brass and rifles and who completely trashed the newly painted and sanded gym floor ..." came up. I think this was the Black Knights ???!! Anyone remember this and can confirm? Mr. Marino? vore?

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:12 am

fieldshowqueen wrote:OK ... I was just on one of those Classmates forums and the subject of "that marching group that came to Loara in 1974/75 who had taps on their boots and who were only drums and brass and rifles and who completely trashed the newly painted and sanded gym floor ..." came up. I think this was the Black Knights ???!! Anyone remember this and can confirm? Mr. Marino? vore?
Well it was NOT a youth band! So why is this question in this thread?

I believe the "Geneseo Knights" Drum & Bugle Corps, from Illinois, came to California that summer and competed in DCI shows in SoCal. But there was no "Black Knights" drum corps in California during that time. The "Velvet Knights" would be the only other choice, but they were from here locally, so I doubt they would have needed housing at a local school, unless they used the gym just for a rehearsal?
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Fillydog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fillydog » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:09 am

Bandmaster wrote:
fieldshowqueen wrote:OK ... I was just on one of those Classmates forums and the subject of "that marching group that came to Loara in 1974/75 who had taps on their boots and who were only drums and brass and rifles and who completely trashed the newly painted and sanded gym floor ..." came up. I think this was the Black Knights ???!! Anyone remember this and can confirm? Mr. Marino? vore?
Well it was NOT a youth band! So why is this question in this thread?

I believe the "Geneseo Knights" Drum & Bugle Corps, from Illinois, came to California that summer and competed in DCI shows in SoCal. But there was no "Black Knights" drum corps in California during that time. The "Velvet Knights" would be the only other choice, but they were from here locally, so I doubt they would have needed housing at a local school, unless they used the gym just for a rehearsal?
I don't remember Geneseo coming out in 74-75, but I DO remember them coming out with Phantom in 81 tho. I knew one of their members whom I met at Whitewater on tour in 78 when I was with the AK.

If we're talking boots on a gym floor it also coulda been AK's guard? Altho I don't remember them with taps and such. That sounds kinda dangerous on a gym floor? Wouldn't that be tending to be a bit slippery?

Heh....but yer right. Now we're getting into "drumcorps", heh.

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CrystalMage » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:15 am

My view of LBJCB in the Santa Claus Lane parade is that they not only had a great presence with their uniforms, big sound, good sound, and large numbers, but also, they were consistent in generating that presence. So, they were reliable. If you needed a impressive, All-American band, LBJCB was as good of a bet as buying stock in IBM usually would be!

And I do know the parade officials for the Hollywood Santa Claus Lane parade had certain standards, such as being able to march at least a certain number of members. And I also figure, but I’m guessing, that LBJCB at some point in the past, established itself with the parade.

So, it makes sense to me why they would be invited to many events. You really couldn’t go wrong with having them at an event.

I remember that the Cabbies marched in that parade in 1979. And the reason we qualified was due to a membership drive that was geared, at least in my view, to have enough marching members to qualify. Even then, we marched an Odd-Even formation to give the appearance of a larger band.

In the Cabbies case, some of us would rather have forgone that parade and put higher standards on the new members skill on their instrument. We were getting cleaner during that past summer and were enthusiastic about that. But, in time, things worked themselves out – flaky folks didn’t like the work involved so they left, and those who enjoyed being there, improved, and it was fun having a lot of members who enjoyed the whole thing.

Yeah, Marvin Marker definitely had a flare for pageantry and he created the band to express that for sure. He found a niche and really made it work.
Michael Lopez

CrystalMage
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CrystalMage » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:16 am

I got a hint of what it might have been like with LBJCB by working with Monte Gmur. There were some times that we did some seemingly LBJCB-esque things. But Monte had a flare in his own right for sure. He brought a refreshing, out-of-the-box and experimental attitude to field shows and parades, in my view. It’s like he tapped into experiences he had with LBJCB and also from watching Drum and Bugle corps, and entwined them in ways that would work with the Los Caballeros theme and demeanor of its members.

So, part of what was refreshing was his open-mindedness to try new things or listen to ideas. I and a number of others came to the Los Caballeros, initially, just to sit-in with a different youth band. We were pretty much all of the section leaders from TAYB and had just quit after a growing disagreement about the direction that band should take came to a head. Initially, I said I was going to join the Royal Cavaliers, but first decided to go the a Cabbie practice, and the others, who left with me, decided to go too.

When we arrived at that practice, they were already in session. So, we waited at the door. But Monte stopped the song and asked us what did we want. And I asked if we could sit in. He said “yes”, and so we settled in. I did like playing their songs and was impressed with one, where Andrew Carney took a solo. It was a well arranged song and a good solo. So, it was obvious they were seeking good arrangements geared for the band.

After the rehearsal, Monte called all of us ex-TAYBers aside. He told us how he was flooded with calls from various TAYB Board members. Some said we were trouble makers, others said we were the cream of the crop – both extremes! But he said he figured the ones who said good things about us were right and the others, bitter. So, he invited us to join with enthusiasm and asked us what ideas we might have, and such. So, we joined. And I must say I’m glad I finished out my Youth Band days, aged-out with the Cabbies.

And to be fair, with the exception of certain events that occurred the last year or 6 months I was in TAYB out of 9 years, it was an outrageously great experience. And the difficult part of leaving TAYB was the other kids in the band, many of whom I grew up with per se – the average tenure in TAYB was 5 years, so most members were around for years. And pound-for-pound, TAYB had very skilled players.

But, Monte offered some new, exciting ideas and an enthusiasm for experimenting, so that was a lot of fun.
Michael Lopez