CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS FROM THE 70'S AND 80'S

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:50 pm

clarinetking wrote:Oh HECK yes I remember the Rock Falls Band. I even hosted one of the bands at my school in Santa Ana but can't remember which one that year. Rock Falls was a good band and yes....the Royal Cavaliers were HOT on the field that summer.
As a matter of fact--Ron Dettman, color guard guru who went on to Madison Scouts and helped the San Diego color guard scene, was a DM LONG ago for RC. And RC was scheduled in 1981 or 1982 to come out as a drum and bugle corps. I DISTINCTLY remember that because they were supposed to be at the Glover Stadium show that summer, but didn't make it. Instead, we had to put up with the Hollywood Knights. Yeah.

REMEMBER THAT?!?!?!?! HERALD G SOPRANOS!! TRUE STORY!!

Anyway...what was I saying?

corkie
Rookie
Rookie

another one...

Post by corkie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:43 pm

I started my pageantry career marching banner with The Music Man Band out of Huntington Beach 72-74. There were a bunch of Edison, Fountain Valley, & Golden West members in the band those years. I remember practicing at Bolsa Grande HS in Garden Grove.

You want stories... we banner types had so many marching "issues" that they (right now I am trying to remember who the heck "they" were) put little jingle bells on our left feet so we could hear if we were out of step. Uniforms were double knit polyester white tops with double knit polyester navy blue collars and double knit polyester navy blue pleated skirts. I think we wore navy blue Vans and white bobby socks too. We marched a LOT of parades- I don't remember if we ever did a field show. I do remember seeing the 1974 Kingsmen at a parade and thinking "how can they be any good without clarinets and flutes?". :D

Oh and I carried the space- the banner with no letter on it that went between "The" and "Music". Perfect, huh? Who knew... :wink:

Joined VK in November of 1974 and the rest, as they say (whoever "they" are) is history.

And Mike, you are old. :nenr:

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Re: another one...

Post by Chaporch » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:04 pm

corkie wrote: I do remember seeing the 1974 Kingsmen at a parade and thinking "how can they be any good without clarinets and flutes?". :D
. . . and you were right to think that! at that time all DC sounded like "fisher price bands" - thin, pinched, no tone and no pitch! DC has come so far since then in terms of actual musical sounds! Of course, the added tone colors and sophistication that woodwinds bring to the music are still missing :wink:

cgamy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cgamy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:47 pm

"You want stories... we banner types had so many marching "issues" that they (right now I am trying to remember who the heck "they" were) put little jingle bells on our left feet so we could hear if we were out of step. Uniforms were double knit polyester white tops with double knit polyester navy blue collars and double knit polyester navy blue pleated skirts. I think we wore navy blue Vans and white bobby socks too."

Awww Corkie...you were the queen of polyester! :yeah: I can just picture you traipsing, I mean marching down the street!

Amy

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

HEY RUSS

Post by LBRSR » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:02 am

I remember California Cavalry well. I was onlt in for a short period of time, but I remember marching in the Holtville parade, South Gate, even Cypress, when they used to have a parade. I recall the 3 brothers who were drummers in the band, Ron Becker who played baritone and I also remember your sister Cindy. I was in jr. hich and hich school with her. Those were fun days!!

Glenn

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:02 pm

Glenn,
We had a blast back in the day.....Ronnie Becker....he was SO strange....LOL

Cindy is in Omaha, just retired from the Air Force. Two kids and married to a Lt. Colonel.

Some of my fondest memories were from the California Cavalry. Holtville, Cypress, all of it. Good times.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

Egon
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Egon » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:44 am

Saxophone/clarinet player in the Torrance Area Youth Band from 1977 to 1983. I was just barely old enough to move up to the senior band right before our trip to Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta in 1980. We went head-to-head in parades and a field show competition against various high school bands, one drum corps, and the Whittier Cavaliers. I think we had about 80 members on that trip but the roster dropped off drastically afterwards. I recall some disagreement between members when people wanted to turn the band into a drum corps. Didn't matter to me. The quality and excellence found in that youth band was so much higher than my school bands I felt it was worthwhile and fun and stayed another 3 years after that.

When I went to the Long Beach State Band I met Mike Gaughan and had remembered he was the drum major of the Cavaliers for that Canada tour four years prior. Mike, you may not remember me but at Long Beach State I was the really tall and skinny saxophone player. Didn't we work together at Kinko's copies for awhile also?

I long since moved to Atlanta, Georgia and lost touch with everybody. When I ran into somebody recently here that had been a student of Trent Newton's, it sparked my interest enough to find this website and get caught up on things back in CA.

By the way, looks like I'll be seeing CSULB's drum major Paul Turner ('85 to '88?) at a party next week. He lives in Philadelphia and works for the Eagles football team. Paul played baritone in the Torrance Youth Band for a couple years.
Brian McKnight
Torrance High School Band, 1980-1984
Torrance Area Youth Band, 1977-1983
CSULB Big Brown Music Machine, 1984-1987
Atlanta CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps, 2000-2006, 2010

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

CSULB

Post by LBRSR » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:28 am

Egon wrote:Saxophone/clarinet player in the Torrance Area Youth Band from 1977 to 1983. I was just barely old enough to move up to the senior band right before our trip to Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta in 1980. We went head-to-head in parades and a field show competition against various high school bands, one drum corps, and the Whittier Cavaliers. I think we had about 80 members on that trip but the roster dropped off drastically afterwards. I recall some disagreement between members when people wanted to turn the band into a drum corps. Didn't matter to me. The quality and excellence found in that youth band was so much higher than my school bands I felt it was worthwhile and fun and stayed another 3 years after that.

When I went to the Long Beach State Band I met Mike Gaughan and had remembered he was the drum major of the Cavaliers for that Canada tour four years prior. Mike, you may not remember me but at Long Beach State I was the really tall and skinny saxophone player. Didn't we work together at Kinko's copies for awhile also?

I long since moved to Atlanta, Georgia and lost touch with everybody. When I ran into somebody recently here that had been a student of Trent Newton's, it sparked my interest enough to find this website and get caught up on things back in CA.

By the way, looks like I'll be seeing CSULB's drum major Paul Turner ('85 to '88?) at a party next week. He lives in Philadelphia and works for the Eagles football team. Paul played baritone in the Torrance Youth Band for a couple years.

I was in the Big Brown Music Machine for one semester in 1982, right before you were in. It was a lot of fun. Too bad they cut the football program.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:52 pm

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........PAUL TURNER.

My nemesis. Beat me out for DM of the Big Brown Music Machine. Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

AND NO!!! We're NOT brothers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1000 Charts
New Recruit
New Recruit

The years of youth band

Post by 1000 Charts » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:08 pm

I remember my experiences quite well from my Youth Band Days.

I was first introduced to the California Calvary in 1973 and marched for three years, until I joined the Anaheim Kingsmen in December of 1975.

The Campbell brothers were a great team along with Neil (I forgot his last name) as the staff. They practiced at the Cypress City Hall on many occasions and I lived right next door! We marched field shows and parades.

My Cousin, Daryl Spector was a cymbal player in the Royal Cavaliers. We got to see each other at most of the contests in 73-74. I also had a chance to see the Marching Rockets, were almost like a drum corps at the time.

Sid Viles was my JHS band director at the time and he encouraged me to join the California Calvary prior to my entrance into drum corps.

In 1977, I had the opportunity to write the opening drill for the Whittier Cavaliers. Sid was the director at the time and I was only 17 years old!
I also marched in the Kingsmen that summer.

In 1978, I worked and wrote drill for the Torrance Youth Band, before leaving on tour. In 1979 (I think that was the year?) I also got to write drill for the Commodores Youth Band. It may have only been the opener, if my member serves me right.

I also had a chance to work with Scott King in his Youth Band sometime in the 80's after I marched with the Blue Devils. I served as a Brass Instructor. I don't remember their name, but they were actually pretty decent at the time.

One other final Youth Band stint was working (For a short time) with the Sound Machine. I came a few times to help out the band with Dave S. and Ron B.

I believe the Youth Band Activity was a fantastic opportunity for me and it's too bad they don't exist like they use too.
Last edited by 1000 Charts on Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David G. Weinberg
Aliso Niguel High School
Director of Bands
==========================
"so let it be written, so let it be done"

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

Re: The years of youth band

Post by LBRSR » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:11 pm

1000 Charts wrote:I remember my experiences quite well from my Youth Band Days.

I was first introduced to the California Calvary in 1973 and marched for three years, until I joined the Anaheim Kingsmen in December of 1975.

The Campbell brothers were a great team along with Neil (I forgot his last name) as the staff. They practiced at the Cypress City Hall on many occasions and I lived right next door! We marched field shows and parades.

My Cousin, Daryl Spector was a cymbal player in the Royal Cavaliers. We got to see each other at most of the contests in 73-74. I also had a chance to see the Marching Rockets, were almost like a drum corps at the time.

Sid Viles was my JHS band director at the time and he encouraged me to join the California Calvary prior to my entrance into drum corps.

In 1977, I had the opportunity to write the opening drill for the Whittier Cavaliers. Sid was the director at the time and I was only 17 years old!
I also marched in the Kingsmen that summer.

In 1978, I worked and wrote drill for the Torrance Youth Band, before leaving on tour. In 1979 (I think that was the year?) I also got to write drill for the Commodores Youth Band. It may have only been the opener, if my member serves me right.

I also had a chance to work with Scott King in his Youth Band sometime in the 80's after I marched with the Blue Devils. I served as a Brass Instructor. I don't remember their name, but they were actually pretty decent at the time.

I believe the Youth Band Activity was a fantastic opportunity for me and it's too bad they don't exist like they use too.

By chance do you remember the 3 brothers who were drummers in California Cavalry? I remember one of them and his name was Brad (I believe). I played bass drum and my friend, at the time, Ron Becker, got me into the band.

Egon
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Egon » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:40 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........PAUL TURNER.

Paul was DM at Torrance High for two years and stacked up a bunch of trophies for it at competition parades. I think he taught drum major camps also. I guess his resume was pretty long. Besides, there was just no way Marvin could resist Paul's Pee Wee Herman impersonation.
Brian McKnight
Torrance High School Band, 1980-1984
Torrance Area Youth Band, 1977-1983
CSULB Big Brown Music Machine, 1984-1987
Atlanta CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps, 2000-2006, 2010

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:14 pm

Egon wrote:
Ryan H. Turner wrote:Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........PAUL TURNER.

Paul was DM at Torrance High for two years and stacked up a bunch of trophies for it at competition parades. I think he taught drum major camps also. I guess his resume was pretty long. Besides, there was just no way Marvin could resist Paul's Pee Wee Herman impersonation.
Yeah. You got a point there. No one could quite do Pee Wee justice like Paul. And of course, I was straight off of tour with VK, so I thought my poop didn't stink at the time. Funny stuff...I sure was humbled.

And then I got a SECOND dose of humbling when Greg Woll took one look at my embouchure at our first lesson and he said "Ohhhhhhhh GOD, what have you done?!?!?!" And we "reshaped" things....hahahahaha.

I agree with Dave...I REALLY credit my time in youth band as laying a definite foundation for me. And just reading these posts (and especially Dave's...), the NAMES of the people involved whose paths have crossed mine are unbelievable, and we have a common "root" if you will.

Scott King--for crimeny sakes. WHAT A TALENT in the world of percussion AND guard. I worked with him at one of my early "marching gig" schools at University HS in Irvine. Richard King was the drill designer, I taught marching, Regina Naylor was guard instructor, Scott King was percussion, and Pete Fournier was the director. Who knew we both had a youth band heritage? We ended up working together again at FVHS for the "Waterworld" show as he was our special consultant that year, and of course, I announced many, many winter guard shows watching his many guards perform. OHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!! It just hit me. LITERALLY!!!! He designed a show one year that had what I can only describe as one of the MOST complicated and extensive and TALL backdrops ever in the history of winter guard. Well, at a show one fateful night, a part of that backdrop toppled over, and like a domino, started taking out other support props. And I, the announcer, was in the direct path of this BEHEMOTH falling--had to jump for my life!!! LOL!!!

Daryl Spectre--first met him when he was running Avatar Winter Guard and I met him through Dave. I ended up Vice President of Contests for the Winter Guard Assoc. of Southern California, and Daryl was a judge (TandP) and on the Board of Directors. Who woulda known!!??

Dave Weinberg--one of the TWO that ORIGINALLY gave me the spark to get into drill design. From the first day I met him at a VK rehearsal back in 1985, we've been friends and even at one time, roommates (I learned how to wash dishes back then!!!). Considering how my life crossed his life and how we've stayed friends now for well over 20 years--it amazes me. But who woulda thunk we had youth band roots?

I THINK IT'S FREAKIN AWESOME...so pardon me for getting up on Memory Lane again. :lol:

Husky Band Director
New Recruit
New Recruit

BBMM

Post by Husky Band Director » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:51 pm

So, egon, you're a tall sax player, eh? I know I spent way too many late nights at Kinko's copies and Pizzamania! As long as Fred and John were working, we were good to go. Hey, wasn't our manager's name Chickie?

That 1980 Canada trip was awesome! I got to conduct the show and play a solo on my brand new Chuck Mangione model flugelhorn! That stadium had the steepest seats I have ever seen. We had a great time, and hope you are doing well. Please tell Paul Turner that Ryan and I say hi.

[u]Mike Gaughan[/u]
Monte Vista HS 1978-79
La Serna HS 1979-1982
Whittier Cavaliers 1977-1983
Sacramento Freelancers 1982
Big Brown Music Machine 1983-86
Disneyland's Christmas Parade 1985-90, 92-98
Disney's Magic Kingdom Korps 1997-98

scoobiedoo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by scoobiedoo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:07 am

Ryan H. Turner wrote:
clarinetking wrote:Oh HECK yes I remember the Rock Falls Band. I even hosted one of the bands at my school in Santa Ana but can't remember which one that year. Rock Falls was a good band and yes....the Royal Cavaliers were HOT on the field that summer.
As a matter of fact--Ron Dettman, color guard guru who went on to Madison Scouts and helped the San Diego color guard scene, was a DM LONG ago for RC. And RC was scheduled in 1981 or 1982 to come out as a drum and bugle corps. I DISTINCTLY remember that because they were supposed to be at the Glover Stadium show that summer, but didn't make it. Instead, we had to put up with the Hollywood Knights. Yeah.

REMEMBER THAT?!?!?!?! HERALD G SOPRANOS!! TRUE STORY!!

Anyway...what was I saying?
I think RC DID come out as a drum & bugle corps in the early 80's. I saw them in a couple parades myself. No field show that I can remember tho. They were pretty small. 8-)