CALIFORNIA MARCHING YOUTH BANDS FROM THE 70'S AND 80'S

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

bearboxer

Post by bearboxer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:36 am

This topic brings back fond memories of the late 70's for me when I auditioned for the Norwalk All-City Youth Band (Director: Lee Mitchell). After a second audition I marched 2 compltet seasons with this band. Had some AWESOME times while there. Remember marching the Fiest Bowl Parade and Field Show doing our theme to Star Wars (if memory recalls...;-) ). Marched many-a parades seeing all the other Youth Bands at local parades such as South Gate Christmas Parade, Downey Christmas, among others. At one point we were up to 150 (incl color guard and drill teams). That year we played Joyce's 71st Regiment for our competition march. I eventually moved on, but stayed in the high school bands.

One year I attended the Hollywood Christmas Parade where I saw the Santa Ana Winds. It was then, I decided, I had to become a member with them. That Monday night following "Hollywood" I went down and became a member for the next 1 1/2 years. While with them had some memorable experiences. Always giving Long Beach Junior Concert Band a "run-for-their-money" (so to speak). Had never won so many SWEEPSTAKES trophies in my life. I eventually moved away from the area. To this day I still read up on The Winds to see how things are going.

BOB WARD....you were an inspiration and enjoyed being under your leadership/directorship. KEEP ON DOING WHAT YOU DO. Your love for the activity is AWESOME!!!!!
Bill Hix

Former Member: Norwalk All-City Youth Band

and Santa Ana Winds

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:35 pm

Keeping in mind that some of these are invitational events, are any of the all city youth bands eligable to participate in any of the Band reviews for adjudication?

Kux

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:26 am

Kuxica wrote:Keeping in mind that some of these are invitational events, are any of the all city youth bands eligable to participate in any of the Band reviews for adjudication?
That depends on what judging association is judging the event. I know that SCSBOA had rules not allowing youth bands to compete head to head with high school bands many, many years ago. Other associations do allow all to compete for the sweepstakes awards. But they are still organized by classes, high school classes for high school bands and youth band or open class for youth and adult bands.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Glassboy97
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Glassboy97 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:33 pm

Does anybody know where i can find videos of SBI championships?

i am a bit younger in the youth band scean .......but my experiance in youth band will always stick with me....90 Burbank Lancers 90-96 Spirit Of Santa Fe Springs........came back to help out the 98-99 south gate city youth band.....there was two groups i remember most ....Regina Lions and i think it was Tai pai a all male youth band from either china or something like that does anybody remember that....its sad that so many youth bands no longer provide these experiances anymore....

ag1486
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ag1486 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:38 pm

:shock: I have some good stories about you... :oops: :whistle:
Speaking of good stories Dave I hear you are an amazing Fooseball player!
Auggie
Former SoCal Bando
Middle School (A band in green that does the Rose Parade)
High School (That band with the canon) (Do they still exist?)
Summer (Drum Major for a now defunct SBI Band)
College (Another band in Green .. but with drunks)

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:58 pm

ag1486 wrote:
:shock: I have some good stories about you... :oops: :whistle:
Speaking of good stories Dave I hear you are an amazing Fooseball player!
Yep... once upon a time when my wrists were looser. I'd have to work on them to regain some flexibility to be good again. You need quick wrists to be really good at fooseball. When I see people spinning the bars as fast as they can I just laugh... that just turns a sport into dumb luck... and requires no talent.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:54 am

The three brothers were the Eccles brothers. All Drummers.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:21 am

How about this one...

I was a proud member of the Inland Empire Royal Knights. Joined when I was a wee pup in Junior High.

Anyone remember them?
Sean Jenkins, M.M.Ed.
Director of Music
Magnolia JHS
Chino, CA

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:10 am

project L wrote:Does anybody know where i can find videos of SBI championships?
I do! I am hoping to start converting them to digital in the next couple of months.
seanrj wrote:How about this one...

I was a proud member of the Inland Empire Royal Knights. Joined when I was a wee pup in Junior High.

Anyone remember them?
Sure do! Who was the director when you were there? Dennis Wortham founded them in 1983, one year before I founded the Sound Machine. After Dennis left Mike Hipp became took over as director.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:04 pm

Bandmaster wrote: I do! I am hoping to start converting them to digital in the next couple of months.
And if you have the Burbank Lancers of 1988, I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Spitvalve

Post by Spitvalve » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:30 pm

You still have your red jacket, too? Hmm. You think you're old... I marched with the Cavaliers back in Sid's FP days (early '72 to late '74). Now those were the days. We'd always be up against the Royals and Marvin Markers (what we called LBJCB back then). Los Caballeros, Santa Ana Winds, and others would march in the same parades, but the top three were usually both Cavies and the Markers. Was Sid Viles still the director of Whittier Cavaliers when you joined? Boy, we had some great times with the band. The Canada tour was my best memory (despite Ma Walker's best chaperoning efforts), although all of the competitions kicked butt (and so did we). I came in right after the band marched in Nixon's Inaugural Parade in D.C. I used to drive or ride the bus from the Wilshire district of L.A. (about 40 miles) to Cal High for rehearsals on Tuesday nights, and I'd have to hoof it back after practice in time to catch the last L.A. bound RTD bus at the Greyhound station in uptown Whittier around 10:15PM. Boy, sometimes when I'd be dependent on the bus (gas shortage, you recall), I'd miss that last bus and have to walk back towards L.A until someone at home would realize that I'd missed my bus. I can still hear our Nighttrain cadence playing on the timp-toms in my head. FP, for sure! The Shrine shows were great fun, as were all of the competitions. I also marched with the L.A. City Youth Band, and The Los Angeles All-City Band from its beginning, honoring my high school (LA HS) for its centennial year, through '74. I also played briefly with the Hollywood Phil. I was one trumpet playing fool. We recorded an LP at Lowell HS one year (which my mom hijacked from me shortly after I got my copy - she passed recently, and I doubt I'll ever see it again). I could probably still play "Army of The Nile" today. I really miss that band. DCI was just getting big, and we kind of felt that we were the youth band version of Santa Clara Vanguards, and we took our fieldshows very seriously. It's sad to hear that the Cavaliers are gone now. I used to drive by the Elks Lodge when in town to see if the old trailer was still there, but I haven't been in Whittier in ages (too many memories). It was a kick later on to see the Cavies playing on the dock in the Gilligan's Island rescue movie. Just thinking about it makes me feel like the old timer that I am. Oh, well.

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

Ozzie's Youth Band

Post by LBRSR » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:56 pm

Here is an old picture I ran across of Ozzie's Youth band. Does anyone know the history pf this organization? What about you Dave? I tell you I would love to know a little history of all the youth bands during the 60's, 70's and 80's, along with any pics.

It is a pic of the band at Balboa park in 1969. They look pretty big in size.

RN,oldfluteplayer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Ozzie's

Post by RN,oldfluteplayer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:27 pm

I remember Ozzie's from my childhood. Red and grey uniforms?
El Cajon Valley HS band, graduated 1971
Santana HS band booster and head chaperone, 1992-96
Proud mom of a middle school band and orchestra director

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:23 am

I remember them too. In my early days of youth band back as a member of the Downey City Youth Band. I think they did have red and gray uniforms. I didn't see them often as they didn't travel north much and DCYB didn't travel south but I do remember them.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

bari_benzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bari_benzo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:43 am

Bandmaster wrote:
project L wrote:Does anybody know where i can find videos of SBI championships?
I do! I am hoping to start converting them to digital in the next couple of months.
:drool: oooohhh.... I so hope you do.

By the way, you wouldn't by chance have a copy of the Western Corps Connection from 1995 when it was aired on KVCR?
Last edited by bari_benzo on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie E.
rccband.org Web Administrator
Ramona (Riverside) High School c/o 1999
Suita City Wind Ensemble - Clarinet