Hostrauser's Top 100 Marches

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:06 pm

Hostrauser wrote:The best part about this library is that, even with as "vast" as my march collection is (and it pales in comparison to some), there's still a bunch of marches in the library that I've never heard before.
That's because Jeff sent me quite a collection plus I had some old CD's that I bought years ago containing a collection European Marches. There sre three I haven't added to the library because I can't figure out who wrote them. My Google searches have turned nothing on the march titles. I have also been search the internet for other sites the have downloadable march recordings and have found quite a few more that way. The Air Force Bands websites are by far the best resource for band recordings, including lots of marches.

Next week I will start going through my old vinyl albums, I haven't even started with those yet..... I have several old albums of the Cities Service Band of America and on one there is a march titled the "Dwight D. Eisenhower March" along some others like "Big Joe the Tuba". I even have the band parts for that one! For you low brass freaks out there, it was written by Paul LaValle for Joe Tarto, one of his monster tuba players. The other tuba players in his band included Bill Bell and Abe Torchensky (N.Y. Phil and Philadelphia Orch respectively). :shock:
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Bandmaster wrote:[ There sre three I haven't added to the library because I can't figure out who wrote them. My Google searches have turned nothing on the march titles. I have also been search the internet for other sites the have downloadable march recordings and have found quite a few more that way. The Air Force Bands websites are by far the best resource for band recordings, including lots of marches.
So what are the three titles??
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:59 pm

PGOK wrote:
Bandmaster wrote:There sre three I haven't added to the library because I can't figure out who wrote them. My Google searches have turned nothing on the march titles.
So what are the three titles??
I'll lay money that one of them is Review March of the 23rd Infantry Regiment, a terrific march off the "World's Greatest Marches" album (the same album Castaldo March and a couple others in the library have come from). You can listen to a snippet of it here.

I've never been able to find a composer name to link to the piece, and it's one of my Top 5 European marches (I'm pretty sure it's German).

And if that's not one of Dave's three titles, it's certainly one of mine. If ANYONE knows who wrote this march, please let me know.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:56 pm

Hostrauser wrote:I'll lay money that one of them is Review March of the 23rd Infantry Regiment, a terrific march off the "World's Greatest Marches" album (the same album Castaldo March and a couple others in the library have come from). You can listen to a snippet of it here.

I've never been able to find a composer name to link to the piece, and it's one of my Top 5 European marches (I'm pretty sure it's German).

And if that's not one of Dave's three titles, it's certainly one of mine. If ANYONE knows who wrote this march, please let me know.
Yep, that's one of them. I can't remember their names of the others off hand. They are on my computer at home and I am in Nor Cal right now with my laptop, so you'll have to wait til I get home to find out what they are. :nenr:
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Marches galore

Post by JCYS » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:26 am

It never ceases to amaze me how many marches there are...and just when you think you have most of them, another bunch pop up you've never seen before. The Heritage of the March series did approx. 180 LP's of marches...literally thousands of them..yet when the braintrust behind the project died, he had hundreds and hundreds of marches yet unrecorded..and composers he never had put on disc.

I applaud Dave's countless hours in getting the library up and running. The band community owes him (yet another) debt of gratitude!

The funny thing is, I have realized over the 25 years I've taught, is that kids are fanatical about their marches.

I mean, all you have to do is mention "Purple Carnival" to about any parade band kid and they go, "Ooohhh...awwhhhh..." Something about marches really do have a dramatic effect on alot of kids psyche.
I have seen kids who can't tell you what concert piece they played last semester, but can tell you every march they ever played...and still play them from memory.

Really...as a performer I've played huge amounts of literature, yet I can still hack out about 85% of Standard of St. George and Bravura FROM MEMORY on my horn...the marches I played my Jr & Sr years..and that was 1972 and 1973!!!!!

To use a phrase from "Close Encounters"...marches are a "sociological event."

JS

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:05 am

Hostrauser wrote:New Marches I've found in the library that I really like (ie, they might make the 2008 Top 100 list)...

King's Glory (Evers)
The Golden Reserve (Buckley)
Cancao de Exercito (Magalhaes)
Cançáo do Exército is definitely in the Top 100, possibly the Top 50. Such a unique march, with wonderful melodies (love the low brass strain, of course). We're used to hearing American, English, German marches... hearing a Brazilian one is a kick. For a military march it's pretty laid-back, and sounds like it would be right at home in Carnival.

Schimmy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Schimmy » Mon May 05, 2008 12:36 pm

For Joyce's 71st ... there are two performances. Does anyone know who the publisher is of the British style?
"The audience is always listening"

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon May 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Actually, I believe one is the "regular" ("American") version edited by Mayhew Lake that you often hear on the streets here in California and on most CD recordings. Mayhew Lake was like Henry Fillmore in that in addition to composing his own works he arranged for band tons and tons of pieces by other composers.

The other version is the "original" (listed as "British") version composed by Thornton Boyer. I'm not sure why it's listed as "British", though since both Boyer and Lake were American if I recall correctly (Boyer was from... Ohio?).

To semi-answer your original question, I believe Boyer's "original" version of Joyce's 71st is a very tough find.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon May 05, 2008 12:59 pm

P.S.: I've also fallen in love with Atilla by Julius Fucik. That's another one going right into the Top 100 for 2008.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Attila

Post by JCYS » Mon May 05, 2008 5:22 pm

Hostrauser wrote:P.S.: I've also fallen in love with Atilla by Julius Fucik. That's another one going right into the Top 100 for 2008.
Attila is great...I have the music for it...unfortunately I think it started off as an orchestral march...if memory serves me the starting key is one or two sharps...ouch.

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Joyce's and Boyer

Post by dr » Mon May 05, 2008 7:56 pm

Hostrauser wrote:Actually, I believe one is the "regular" ("American") version edited by Mayhew Lake that you often hear on the streets here in California and on most CD recordings. Mayhew Lake was like Henry Fillmore in that in addition to composing his own works he arranged for band tons and tons of pieces by other composers.

The other version is the "original" (listed as "British") version composed by Thornton Boyer. I'm not sure why it's listed as "British", though since both Boyer and Lake were American if I recall correctly (Boyer was from... Ohio?).

To semi-answer your original question, I believe Boyer's "original" version of Joyce's 71st is a very tough find.
Interesting that the version of Joyce's 71st N.Y. Regiment that we all know and love is at least as well known for the parts contributed by the arranger as it is for the original march. The original sounds somewhat - incomplete by comparison.

Thornton Barnes Boyer was born in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania October 19, 1858, eventually moving to Santa Monica, California until his death April 28, 1936, at the Veterans Hospital in Los Angeles. He wrote 47 marches and quicksteps, among other works. He is buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park Sanctuary of the Faithful Mausoleum in Glendale, California.

The original march, Joyce's 71st N.Y. Regiment, was published by Pepper in 1881.

There are several arrangements -
M.L. Lake 1937 (only melody retained),
Ostling 1950,
H.L. Walters 1953,
J. Scott 1968

Mayhew (Mike) Lester Lake was born October 25, 1879 in Southville, Massachusetts. He was a prolific composer and arranger as well as conductor. He sometimes used the pseudonym Lester Brockton. He wrote 52 marches under the two names. He died March 16, 1955 in Palisades, New Jersey.
Last edited by dr on Mon May 05, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Musicus
800M miles/hour! It's the law!

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Joyce's and Boyer

Post by Kuxica » Mon May 05, 2008 8:47 pm

dr wrote: Mayhew (Mike) Lester Lake was born October 25, 2879 in Southville, Massachusetts. .
:shock: 1979???or 1879???? i think the latter is what you meant.
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon May 05, 2008 9:19 pm

Yeah, 1879. :lol:

James Barnes also arranged Joyce's 71st for concert band, I believe.

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cardinal Regime » Mon May 05, 2008 10:00 pm

Help.................someone please send Dave another version of Chicago Tribune. I'm not sure what version is currently in the library, but that's not how we played it.

I believe the U.S. Army has an album with the "correct" version of Chicago Tribune.

Thanks!

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Tue May 06, 2008 6:45 am

Cardinal Regime wrote:Help.................someone please send Dave another version of Chicago Tribune. I'm not sure what version is currently in the library, but that's not how we played it.

I believe the U.S. Army has an album with the "correct" version of Chicago Tribune.

Thanks!
The one in the library is the correct version. The one played by most bands (and a Chowchilla standard), until recently, was arranged by Chas. Roberts. As with Joyce's. I prefer the arrangement.

A few years ago a concert version was published from the original source, so you tend to hear that more often nowadays.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx