Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: What's your march?

Post by LoyalTubist » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:49 pm

I spent about a third of my time in the US Army band program as a tuba player in Berlin, Germany. I spent a lot of time visiting the other side of the Berlin Wall (it's OK, guys... it was permitted...)

There was one march that the East German Air Force Band played that I really loved (with an amazing tuba part) called Stadion Marsch. I always thought that would be a good one for band reviews.

Sometimes, if things aren't doing so well, I have Percy Grainger's Children's March: Over the Hills and Far Away. That one always lift my spirits. Someone should try to play that on the street (not an arrangement) without the piano part, but all the other percussion. I think it would work.

Squirtle
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Squirtle » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:54 pm

The Elephant- James Ord Hume

jasonlicious
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jasonlicious » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:29 pm

The Purple Carnival and 76 Trombones!
Arroyo High School Band and Colorguard

2005 - "Shades of Blue" - Alto Sax
2006 - "Heroes of Destiny" - Alto Sax
2007 - "Chronicles of Earth" - Bari Sax
2008 - "The Divine Comedy" - Alto Sax
2009 TofR Honor Band

bandshmuck

Post by bandshmuck » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:03 am

definitely the opening solo in Valdres. it happens to be trumpet instead of clarinet in my head...

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:40 pm

twinmomma wrote: And sometimes, Under the Double Eagle.
While I made a brief trip out to San Diego last week, I was sitting outside a friend's house and here comes a plumbers truck playing under the double eagle. I thought to myself, He must be a band geek :rotf:

I find myself humming Washington Grays, Purple Carnival, and Bullets and Bayonets. On occasion I sometimes catch myself also doing Boys of the Old brigade, Golden Bear, Colonel Bogey, and the trio for the southerner. I guess I don't really have just one but I realize that sometimes I get the marches mixed up and start going from the intro of one into the trio of another or stupid things like getting the intro of Boys of the old brigade and the lion tamer mixed up.
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

twinmomma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by twinmomma » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:07 pm

When I was in high school we played bullets and bayonets and somehow it was always affectionately called Guns and Roses. LOL
~twinmomma

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:23 am

1. British Eighth(but only if played by a British Band, their trumpets sound a battle cry during the trio and break strain)

2. Men of Harlech(Spend 6 months in the UK and listen to Katherine Jenkins and Bryn Terfel and you too will believe the Welsh are the world best singers)
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

Camaro guy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Camaro guy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:07 pm

The March from The First Suite For Military Band by Holst.

However...if I hear ANY march early in the day it seems to stick in my head for hours.
Don't make things harder than they really are. Emphasis on the basics of musical performance will fix many problems.

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by oreocookis » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:22 pm

I guess for me it depends on what Im working on ( in the community band I play in) or what the high school does or even the elem. bands I teach. Currently I have March Grandioso stuck in my head... my elem. bands are playing that in a April concert in our Attendance area concert. ( our district has 5 high schools, 5 junior highs and a million elem. schools, so we split up into attendance areas in relation to the high school.... My attendance area is American..) Its a great concert, we have the elem. bands: beginning, intermediate and advanced ( the 6 schools from our attendance area), junior high and the American high band all do a combined concert, each group plays separately and then the jr.high/ and High school plays a combined march together.
Jennie M
American Eagles Marching Band Woodwind, Colorguard and Winter Guard Instructor
Fremont Unified After- school Elementary Band Teacher

Marching Band Guy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Marching Band Guy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:59 pm

Mostly, I hum to these...

*Zacatecas (Mexican March)
*Under the Double Eagle
*Boys of the Old Brigade
When asked why our band didn't play more "fight songs" during the football games, our director told the superintendent "the band plays when the team scores. Maybe you should take that up with the coach."

-Anonymous-

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 pm

JLGORMAN wrote:1. British Eighth(but only if played by a British Band, their trumpets sound a battle cry during the trio and break strain)

2. Men of Harlech(Spend 6 months in the UK and listen to Katherine Jenkins and Bryn Terfel and you too will believe the Welsh are the world best singers)

I think the question is, what march do you catch yourself humming to, so I am not sure if you meant that these are the marches you like the most or if these are the marches that YOU hum to.
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

shaynoodle

Post by shaynoodle » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:33 pm

Under The Double Eagle :D
Shayna Conant
Colorguard instructor- Rancho Cotate High School 2009-2010
Member of Sacramento State Marching Band 2008-2009
Rancho Cotate High School c/o 2008

JFKDMinor

Post by JFKDMinor » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:10 pm

Faeiries Aire and the Death Waltz

jk

Army of the Nile or Glorious Victory
Benny Yamagata
Assistant Drum Major: John F. Kennedy High School
2nd Place Apprentice Mace

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:34 am

As much as I love band, I must be doing it wrong. The song that pops in to my head the most is the bass line from "Cygnus X1" by Rush.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander