Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Some historic videos

Post by wjs05 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:13 pm

Kuxica wrote:
vore wrote:
wjs05 wrote: Btw, why does "Bullets and Bayonets" sound kinda different in that video? Is it another version of the march?
'tis the original Sousa version or Fred Fennell's edition which corrects the mistakes and percussion parts... it only sounds different because Thousand Oaks marched flutes and clarinets in the front ranks instead of the traditional concept of trombones and euphoniums. This provides more of a concert band balance than that of a traditional military band balance.

I was judging music that day at Arcadia...

vore 8-)
Actually, Mr, Hoehne Sent me a copy of the music he used for that year. It was not the Fennell edition or the Original Sousa piece. It was the arrangement by Gore which is in an entirely different key. I am thinking in the key of E Flat (the Music is somewhere in my personal Library so i can verify that when I find it.)

I immediately noticed the difference in the key's that it was played as I bought the VHS video for Mt. Carmel and because Mt. Carmel played it the same year too. Both Bands sounded fantastic but Thousand Oaks gave me chills from when they played the chromatic's in the second strain. I really liked it that way. :D

But I too am a fan of MC playing Bullets and Bayonets during the Rain out year at All Western Band Review.

Kuxica
Thank you for finally bringing closure to that for me. I KNEW that version sounded different.

architenn

Post by architenn » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:59 am

1991 Belmont Sentinel Marching Band at SCSBOA competition.
Don't remember what place, music: Carmina Burana, Mambo, and Malagueña.

http://youtu.be/9hwiPCNHeJ8

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:03 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
BDguardsman wrote:
baritoneplayer wrote:How about Golden Valley H.S. Cardinal Regime when they were a field show band from 1994 to 1997 :)
I had no idea that they did field shows during that time. Was Greg Christiansen with them those years?
Yes indeed. Greg was at Merced until 1993, and then he moved to Golden Valley when that school opened in the fall of 1994. For the first few years they were a field show ONLY band and did not do parade; then he flipped them 180.

I've still got programs from that time at my house. I believe the first year (1994) Greg got 75 kids out onto the field. Within maybe two years they were up to 125 and taking sweepstakes everywhere they went.

I still remember their version of "Allegro barbaro" by Bela Bartok that they put on the field during that time. Great piece, surprised more bands/drum corps haven't utilized it.
I would love to see GV shows from 1997-2001!

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Powerhouse08 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:02 am

Well, gv only did field show up to 1997.......after that its been strictly marching.....
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head
Golden Valley High School 12-?
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:03 am

Powerhouse08 wrote:Well, gv only did field show up to 1997.......after that its been strictly marching.....

Yes, I would love to see parade videos or winterguard videos from 97-01, when I was in it. I believe there is only 1 up on youtube from that time. I wish youtube was around back then.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:43 pm

-Stop global whining.

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:44 pm

That Etiwanda show is awesome!

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Wildabeast wrote:One of my favorite Etiwanda shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H2U3F-y ... re=related
This was, I believe, Etiwanda at the peak of their greatness. It all started in 1994 with them winning the BOA Western Regional over the BOA Western Regional defending champs, Fred C. Beyer. Then they took it up a notch in 1995. I remember as a sophomore in high school being blown away by what their band was doing on the field in 1995 at the Magnolia "Preview of Champions." Los Altos had won this show the last 7 or 8 years in a row, but...not this year!

Of course, Etiwanda had always been a really good band. They went to BOA Grand Nationals in 1992, and had a neat show that I will always remember in 1993 with West Side Story (remembering the "finger snapping" coolness of the group done with the drum sticks). In 1996 and onwards they had great shows, but none quite as memorable as the one in 1995.

Alan

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:19 am

-Stop global whining.

fidave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fidave » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:07 pm

For the ancients in the crowd...,

Poway HS 1981 (Lar Best) @ Chaffey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12dFz3I7wfc (thanks RoseParade83)

Competing against this show all year long sucked. I happen to think this is a great example of why field shows don't need a theme. But you be the judge. Be sure to check out the rifles.
Last edited by fidave on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Smith & Wesson Always Beats Four Aces

rhinestonekitty
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rhinestonekitty » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:12 pm

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:14 pm

You dont by any chance have any Scarlet Brigade videos from the 1998-99 year?

And i agree with a previous posters id love to see some old winterguard videos from the mid-late 90's.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:42 pm

airons0678 wrote:

This was, I believe, Etiwanda at the peak of their greatness. It all started in 1994 with them winning the BOA Western Regional over the BOA Western Regional defending champs, Fred C. Beyer. Then they took it up a notch in 1995. I remember as a sophomore in high school being blown away by what their band was doing on the field in 1995 at the Magnolia "Preview of Champions." Los Altos had won this show the last 7 or 8 years in a row, but...not this year!

Of course, Etiwanda had always been a really good band. They went to BOA Grand Nationals in 1992, and had a neat show that I will always remember in 1993 with West Side Story (remembering the "finger snapping" coolness of the group done with the drum sticks). In 1996 and onwards they had great shows, but none quite as memorable as the one in 1995.

Alan
I tend to think of '92 as the beginning of the greatness when they shocked the state by beating Clovis West at RCC.
-Stop global whining.

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Wildabeast wrote:
airons0678 wrote:

Alan
I tend to think of '92 as the beginning of the greatness when they shocked the state by beating Clovis West at RCC.
Wasn't RCC an SCSBOA show back then? If that's the case then, no offense, it wouldn't surprise me. Anyone have the scoop?

Alan

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 pm

RCC results, 1992:
1st place band: Clovis West

percussion and color guard: Clovis West

Music, G.E, Marching and manuevering: Etiwanda

sweepstakes: Etiwanda

Not sure if it was WSMBC or SCSBOA