From 2003 Etiwanda HS "Xpressivo: Contrast and Contradiction":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbfgjGwMxEU

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Valley View Crimson Demise

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:05 pm

Euphman wrote:
fieldshowqueen wrote: It's sort of explained there ... a lot has happened since that thread and not all, obviously, positive.
Like what?

Please don't hijack my thread.
-Stop global whining.

kevintheomanharris
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Some historic videos

Post by kevintheomanharris » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:44 pm

Hostrauser wrote: 1993 was a good year for field shows. Homestead did "Phantom of the Opera" and even got that big covering from SCV that the whole band hid under. Mtn. View did "Jesus Christ Superstar", IIRC, and had those chest-mounted flash bulb thingies. And of course, Leigh did "Jurassic Park" thanks to the genius of Richard Alipaz. That was the summer it had come out, and it was so huge in the theaters. Leigh had those palm trees that "shook" at the start of their show, and just a killer, killer show.

Ah, memories.
Mt. Carmel's "Gloria" in 1993 is a personal favorite of mine. There is an extremely pixelated/choppy version of it on youtube somewhere from Tournament of Champions (the music is the best part anyways). I'd post a link, but I can't look up youtube videos at work.
Mt Carmel High School 1996-2000
University of Redlands 2000-2004

dudewheresmycar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dudewheresmycar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:34 pm

kevintheomanharris wrote:
Hostrauser wrote: 1993 was a good year for field shows. Homestead did "Phantom of the Opera" and even got that big covering from SCV that the whole band hid under. Mtn. View did "Jesus Christ Superstar", IIRC, and had those chest-mounted flash bulb thingies. And of course, Leigh did "Jurassic Park" thanks to the genius of Richard Alipaz. That was the summer it had come out, and it was so huge in the theaters. Leigh had those palm trees that "shook" at the start of their show, and just a killer, killer show.

Ah, memories.
Mt. Carmel's "Gloria" in 1993 is a personal favorite of mine. There is an extremely pixelated/choppy version of it on youtube somewhere from Tournament of Champions (the music is the best part anyways). I'd post a link, but I can't look up youtube videos at work.
I agree 1993 was a great year for field shows. It was the last year the Poway schools attended T of C (Santa Ana) with Mt. Carmel's John Rutter show taking band sweeps (and visual sweeps), Poway's Caged Bird show taking 1st (general effect, auxiliary sweeps) and RB's Tommy show taking 2nd (music sweeps).

It was also the last time the SoCal Open Class powerhouses were together in one tournament: Poway, Mount Carmel, Rancho Bernardo, Los Altos, Diamond Bar, Thousand Oaks, El Dorado, Valley View, Mater Dei, Arcadia, Fountain Valley, West Bakersfield, Rubidoux, and Nogales.

kevintheomanharris
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by kevintheomanharris » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:50 pm

dudewheresmycar wrote:
kevintheomanharris wrote:

Ah, memories.
I agree 1993 was a great year for field shows. It was the last year the Poway schools attended T of C (Santa Ana) with Mt. Carmel's John Rutter show taking band sweeps (and visual sweeps), Poway's Caged Bird show taking 1st (general effect, auxiliary sweeps) and RB's Tommy show taking 2nd (music sweeps).

It was also the last time the SoCal Open Class powerhouses were together in one tournament: Poway, Mount Carmel, Rancho Bernardo, Los Altos, Diamond Bar, Thousand Oaks, El Dorado, Valley View, Mater Dei, Arcadia, Fountain Valley, West Bakersfield, Rubidoux, and Nogales.
Hah, I remember that Poway show now that you mentioned it. They had a narrator, and I wasn't a fan of that at all. Poway was HUGE back in the day. I dont think Mt Carmel, RB, or Arcadia ever had as many performers as Poway did.

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:51 pm

put the link to that show a few posts ago if anyone needs it (the mc show)

also, i know mt carmel had about 450 in 99/2000, how many did poway have?
drummer

kevintheomanharris
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by kevintheomanharris » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:30 pm

uci_guy wrote:put the link to that show a few posts ago if anyone needs it (the mc show)

also, i know mt carmel had about 450 in 99/2000, how many did poway have?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCXR92k8GnM
Mt Carmel - John Rutter "Gloria" 1993 ToC

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:19 pm

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:33 pm

This might have been posted before in the past but its worth posting again: Thousand Oaks HS 97 at Arcadia Band Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mLruih ... re=related

Btw, why does "Bullets and Bayonets" sound kinda different in that video? Is it another version of the march?

Moving on, Thousand Oaks HS 98 at Arcadia Band Review playing "Purple Carnival":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Ty0jUg ... re=related

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:49 pm

Last edited by vore on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:15 pm

vore wrote:
wjs05 wrote: Btw, why does "Bullets and Bayonets" sound kinda different in that video? Is it another version of the march?
'tis the original Sousa version or Fred Fennell's edition which corrects the mistakes and percussion parts... it only sounds different because Thousand Oaks marched flutes and clarinets in the front ranks instead of the traditional concept of trombones and euphoniums. This provides more of a concert band balance than that of a traditional military band balance.

I was judging music that day at Arcadia...

vore 8-)
Thanks for the info. I'll take your word for it on the way the march sounds. I guess the flute and clarinet placement would make a difference.
It's just that the whole march sounds "darker" for lack of a better word. The other versions, including a 1991 Thousand Oaks at Arcadia all sound more "cheerful." I'm gonna edit in a bit and post the 91 performance.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6SJ0n3h ... 5C&index=0

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:43 am

Last edited by vore on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:03 am

vore wrote:
wjs05 wrote:[
Thanks for the info. I'll take your word for it on the way the march sounds. I guess the flute and clarinet placement would make a difference. It's just that the whole march sounds "darker" for lack of a better word. The other versions, including a 1991 Thousand Oaks at Arcadia all sound more "cheerful." I'm gonna edit in a bit and post the 91 performance.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6SJ0n3h ... 5C&index=0
Compared to the 1991 performance the 1997 performance difference is very basic... the 1997 band is much more mature in basic tone production, intonation, articulation, blend, balance, and phrasing... it probably sounds darker to you as the 1997 band has stronger musical depth in its musicians.
I concur. I do have to say that my favorite rendition of "Bullets and Bayonets" is from the 81 All Western by Mt.Carmel.

vore 8-)

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:56 am

Last edited by vore on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:29 pm

vore wrote:
wjs05 wrote: Btw, why does "Bullets and Bayonets" sound kinda different in that video? Is it another version of the march?
'tis the original Sousa version or Fred Fennell's edition which corrects the mistakes and percussion parts... it only sounds different because Thousand Oaks marched flutes and clarinets in the front ranks instead of the traditional concept of trombones and euphoniums. This provides more of a concert band balance than that of a traditional military band balance.

I was judging music that day at Arcadia...

vore 8-)
Actually, Mr, Hoehne Sent me a copy of the music he used for that year. It was not the Fennell edition or the Original Sousa piece. It was the arrangement by Gore which is in an entirely different key. I am thinking in the key of E Flat (the Music is somewhere in my personal Library so i can verify that when I find it.)

I immediately noticed the difference in the key's that it was played as I bought the VHS video for Mt. Carmel and because Mt. Carmel played it the same year too. Both Bands sounded fantastic but Thousand Oaks gave me chills from when they played the chromatic's in the second strain. I really liked it that way. :D

But I too am a fan of MC playing Bullets and Bayonets during the Rain out year at All Western Band Review.

Kuxica
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.