Some historic videos

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Some historic videos

Post by Wildabeast » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:10 am

It had to have been SCSBOA. WSMBC didn't expand south until 1995 according to its history.
-Stop global whining.

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cardinal Regime » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Here is a video of the Golden Valley Cardinal Regime in their first year of parade competition. (1997) They are under the direction of Greg Christiansen and they are playing, "The Big Red Machine". This is a march that I don't know a whole lot about. Merced High and Golden Valley are the only two bands to perform this in the street, that I know of. This video is from the Central California Band Review. GV was the co-host band with Merced and not in competition. You may notice that this band review actually took place at night. This is because the Merced College football stadium, which was being used for the field competition, had a night time football game scheduled. So, field show in the morning/afternoon and parade at night, with a lot of US Rentals lights.

http://youtu.be/lSlCq1L147Q

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Big Red Machine

Post by PGOK » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:39 pm

Larry Curtis got his MM from Adams State College in Colorado, where William Hill was the band director at the time. A couple of years later, Hill wrote "The Big Red Machine" for the Pasadena HS band under the direction of Larry Curtis. It was before my time, but my understanding is the CSULB band played it at the Chaffey Tournament in the early 70s.

Cardinal Regime wrote:Here is a video of the Golden Valley Cardinal Regime in their first year of parade competition. (1997) They are under the direction of Greg Christiansen and they are playing, "The Big Red Machine". This is a march that I don't know a whole lot about.

http://youtu.be/lSlCq1L147Q
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Camaro guy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Camaro guy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:13 pm

You are correct, PGOK. I was a member of the CSULB band in the early '70s and the only parade performance we had was at the Chaffey Tournament (street and field) in Ontario, Ca. If memory serves me correctly it was in Oct. 1972. Mr. Curtis passed-out "The Big Red Machine" about a week before the gig and many of us were still "cramming" on the bus that morning trying to memorize the tune. The march has outstanding trombone parts and as luck would have it, I marched the right guide spot in the first rank...right next to Mr. Curtis who could easily hear every note I played. Talk about pressure! That was an outstanding band. In November we also performed at the Long Beach Arena for the All Western Band Review awards ceremony in front of a packed house.
Don't make things harder than they really are. Emphasis on the basics of musical performance will fix many problems.

Luis
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Luis » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Enjoy :)

Montebello HS Mighty Oiler Band: 1984 Tournament of Roses Parade & 1984 California Band Review (Santa Ana)
Thanks to former Montebello HS Band Director, Mr. Larry Covellone, for providing these files.

00:11 - 1984 Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade: Crown Imperial by William Walton
01:11 - 1984 Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade: Glorious Victory by W.M. Kendall
01:25 - California Band Review (Santa Ana): Army of the Nile by Kenneth J. Alford

1985 Arcadia Band Review
Select high school marching bands performing at the 1985 Arcadia Band Review.
*Mt. Carmel HS won sweepstakes that year.

Thanks to former Montebello HS Band Director, Mr. Larry Covellone, for providing these files.

00:30 - Montebello HS - Anchors Aweigh
03:28 - Yucaipa HS - Grandioso
05:21 - Montebello HS - Anchors Aweigh
08:24 - Castle Park HS *partial only* - Barnum & Bailey's Favorite
09:02 - Helix Charter HS - Army of the Nile
11:16 - Buena (?) HS - Army of the Nile
12:51 - Montgomery HS - Bravura
15:29 - Pasadena HS - Army of the Nile
18:17 - Whittier HS - Grandioso
21:02 - Patrick Henry HS - Gloria
24:03 - Pioneer HS - Fairest of the Fair
26:53 - Temple City HS - Glorious Victory
29:18 - Mt. Carmel HS - The Beau Ideal
31:50 - Magnolia HS - Bullets & Bayonets

The 8th Darling

Post by The 8th Darling » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:00 pm

I dumped them in 2009. oh shucks.

The 8th Darling

Post by The 8th Darling » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 pm

I used to have Merced, Golden Valley and Amador Valley.
Purely by accident.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Sat May 01, 2021 12:39 pm

It's been awhile.

Before Don Jaramillo took the helm at Etiwanda High School, he was at Sierra Vista High School in Baldwin Park.

I will always dig their drum cadence.

Enjoy the 1986 Marching Dons.
-Stop global whining.