Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Best CA Bands of the 90's?

Post by airons0678 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
wjs05 wrote:Valley View 97 was a mixture of Independence Day and Star Gate, the music of David Arnold. The show was AMAZING.
It was fantastic, one of my all-time favorites.

1997 was the only year I was able to make WBA/WSMBC Championships. While we're on that year and talking about great bands, it would be remiss to not mention another VVHS: Victor Valley. This was back before WBA had different criteria and different finals for the upper and lower divisions. Back then, the Class top two A-60 (now A) and A-90 (now AA) bands made finals and competed against the big boys. And little, barely 70-member Victor Valley tied for High Music with Mission Viejo in Finals. Beating Valley View, James Logan, Beyer, Live Oak, and everyone else in the music caption. They were 5th overall, too, the highest ever finish by a Class A band in WBA.

1997 WSMBC Championship Finals, Stockton, CA (UOP Stagg Stadium)
95.725 James Logan (Visual, Effect, Guard)
95.025 Mission Viejo (Music-tie, Percussion)
92.750 Beyer (DM)
88.900 Valley View
88.200 Victor Valley (Music-tie)
87.775 Grants Pass
86.525 Live Oak
85.950 Buchanan
85.575 Clovis West
81.050 Clovis
79.475 Amador Valley
78.175 Valley Christian
75.300 Hoover
69.400 Kennedy
69.000 Ceres
I think Ralph Ewell was there at the time. Great band!
Yup. My mom got them on video at the WSMBC Mission Viejo show. I remember this little pipsqueak band in green playing Robert W. Smith's "Divine Comedy" like it was nobody's business--all the runs, and dynamics (crescendos, etc.) done very, very well. It was like a mini concert band on the football field. When Mr. Ewell left, sadly Victorville fell back into obscurity. But wherever that director goes, he seems to have the Midas touch!

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:45 pm

See me in red.
airons0678 wrote:wjs05 wrote:

Mission Viejo 98: "Serenade": won WBA with this. Never seen anything like this up till this point. 3rd in prelims. Flipped with Etiwanda in Finals for the top spot that left Logan in 2nd.

1994 West Bakersfield (yes, West Bakersfield...with that Christmas time drum-corps-esque show) my alma...was on staff that year. it was more of a "Seasons" show

Alan
-Stop global whining.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:00 pm

wjs05 wrote:
James Logan 1998: Powerhouse: I know most people will point to 99 as the standout Logan year for the decade, but for my money, 98 was playful, powerful and Logan at its' purest. with Ramiro Barrera as BD's program coordinator, it was refined for BD in 1999
-Stop global whining.

Brock

Post by Brock » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:55 pm

Can anyone post the 1991 Mt Carmel TOC show? I'd also love if anyone has the 1990 drum circuit shows.

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi Brock ^^^

I was Rancho Bernardo 90-94 and we always dreaded Clovis West showing up, which was not often fortunately, but they would destroy everyone

Otherwise, and this is from a drumline perspective - we are always trying to best Poway and Mt Carmel, Castle Park, and Etiwanda with those weird Premiere free floating snares that no one else had

barkdisorder

Post by barkdisorder » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:49 am

The 1990s was a transformative era for music, witnessing the emergence of diverse and influential bands across various genres. In the alternative and indie rock scene, California (CA) became a hotbed for creativity and experimentation.

Formed in Omaha but later relocating to Los Angeles, 311 brought a fusion of rock, reggae, and rap to the forefront. Their self-titled album and "Transistor" contributed to their success in the '90s.

These California bands of the '90s not only shaped the musical landscape of the decade but also left a lasting legacy, influencing subsequent generations of artists and continuing to resonate with music lovers today.

Rolexdev

Post by Rolexdev » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:10 am

barkdisorder wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:49 am
The 1990s was a transformative era for music, witnessing the emergence of diverse and influential bands across various genres. In the alternative and indie rock scene, California (CA) became a hotbed for creativity and experimentation.

Formed in Omaha but later relocating to Los Angeles, 311 brought a fusion of rock, reggae, and rap to the forefront. Their self-titled album and "Transistor" contributed to their success in the '90s.

These California bands of the '90s not only shaped the musical landscape of the decade but also left a lasting legacy, influencing subsequent generations of artists and continuing to resonate with music lovers today.
The 1990s were certainly a golden era for music, with California serving as a thriving center of invention. 311's blend of rock, reggae, and rap, which originated in Omaha and flourished in Los Angeles, exemplified this eclectic ethos. The self-titled album and "Transistor" cemented their place in the 1990s music landscape. These Californian bands not only established the musical scene at the time, but also left a lasting legacy that influenced following generations of artists. Their influence, merging genres and stretching creative boundaries, continues to enthrall music fans, attesting to the tremendous and everlasting impact of '90s California bands on the ever-changing tapestry of musical history.