SCSBOA Championship Predictions

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

dudewheresmycar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: SCSBOA Championship Predictions

Post by dudewheresmycar » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:56 pm

Congrats to the two Poway schools for going 1-2!

Musiac

Post by Musiac » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Any thoughts on divisions other than 6A?

FluteAngles88

Post by FluteAngles88 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:46 pm

I was at the 5A champs. I agree with what the judges saw. The bands that received medals deserved them.

Chino Hills had the best visual package and of course their percussion was almost flawless. Their sound was well balanced but sometimes their brass didn't have control.

Vista had an overall good show, like Mt. Carmel, as someone else mentioned, they march a simple yet very clean show. Their sound was well balanced.

Arroyo had the best music performance. Sound was balanced and the woodwind section sounded like one big instrument. Level of difficulty in music was higher than the other. Looking at the recap the Visual effect judge did not like their program as they were ranked 10th which explains a big gap between vista's score.

Overall great lineup of bands. Hope to see everyone back next year.

pnut
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pnut » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:08 pm

peapod wrote:
pnut wrote:
peapod wrote:I'm going to beat this dying horse again: why isn't El Dorado competing in the SCSBOA field championships?
You've have been given false information.

I stand corrected. Once I discovered I was wrong (would have been helpful to check the grid more carefully), I figured I'd get a well-deserved smackdown and no one else would take it seriously after that.

El Dorado, I apologize for not checking more carefully, then neglecting to edit/delete once I realized I was mistaken. Very embarrassed.

:sorry: :frustrated:

By the way, I really enjoyed your performance last night at SCSBOA/Arcadia.
No worries. It's all good. I'm glad you enjoyed our performance at SCSBOA Championships.
Eric Samson
El Dorado HS

saxlegendinprogress

Post by saxlegendinprogress » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:42 pm

All bands performed well at championships. Rancho Bernardo did amazing in music with some degree of difficulty but I believe they scored well because of their many big hit moments accompanied with great solos. The problem was that some in between moments were blurred and their visual content was not as developed and clean as Mt. Carmel's. Mt. Carmel show was simple yet well thought through visually and cleaned close to perfection, as reflected in their visual score. In my opinion, a clean, simple show is better than a difficult show that appears as a jumbled mess. I agree with the judges on their scores and that all bands worked extremely hard to achieve what they earned. Great job to all the bands that participated!

Cincy83

Post by Cincy83 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Well said. I have no students in any band and just love to attend. I enjoyed the MC show as they don’t seem to need unused props scattered around the field. They seemed precise, and were absolutely great to watch. I love when schools incorporate props but just having them positioned to hide equipment seems superfluous. Etiwanda did a great job of incorporating their props into their show. These kids are able to make great memories that they will look back on fondly when they are parents themselves. Great job by all the bands. I look forward to next year.