Forum's registration and email functions repaired!

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forum's registration and email functions repaired!

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:10 pm

I discovered a major problem with the forum's registration form and how the forum sends out emails caused by the upgrade that I did a while back. Plus over 2000 spam accounts had been attempted to be setup. These spammers apparently have a lot time on their hands and have nothing better to do. So I have changed the verification method on the registration form with a question that all good marching geeks should be able to answer, but that spammers will scratch their heads about.

So, if you had tried to set up an account since August 30th and failed, all those attempts have been deleted and those usernames and email addresses are now available to use again. So PLEASE, set up your new account again so you can join in the fun!!!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A few Forum problems remain...

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:01 pm

There are still a few problems from the forum upgrade that I am been trying to solve without much success yet. :oops:

When you post a new topic or a reply and hit "Submit" it goes to a screen that says "The specified search backend doesn’t exist," but your posting has been made. So DON"T go back and submit it again! That will just create a duplicate posting and the delete function to get rid duplicates doesn't totally work yet either. :evil:

That same error comes back if you do a search of the forums.

From what I have read during my research is that it has to do with indexing of all the postings on the forum, but I have not been able to get it fixed yet. But I will keep trying, please be patient.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster