Frigid weather in Indianapolis for BOA Championships

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Frigid weather in Indianapolis for BOA Championships

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Temperatures have fallen into the single digits in Indianapolis, thanks to the Polar Vortex, where the Bands of America Marching Band Championships will be held starting Thursday. Even though the competition is held indoors, how will this effect logistics around Lucas Oil Stadium? If they have heavy snow fall or ice it will make things even worse. The fair weather bands traveling to BOA will have a fun time this week in Indy! :wink:
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Frigid weather in Indianapolis for BOA Championships

Post by JLGORMAN » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:04 am

Actually the Bands from TX did not have any problems. All Six Bands from here in the Lone Star State made finals and Vandegrift and Hebron took grand Championship and third place in the finals. Vandgrift won with a Dance Team and no Guard Unit, so it shows that Music still is the most important thing. Most people outside of TX do not know that Vandegrift and Leander both are from the same school district. In the Prelims Vandegrift was top 4A Band and Leander was top 3A Band.

To top that off the UIL 6A Champion Band in 2018 was Vista Ridge from LISD and this years UIL 5A Champion was Cedar Park from LISD. I guess you could say that the LISD holds the Nations Top Band Awards in Marching.

Also congratulations to Ayala for their oustanding 12th Place finish in the finals. That was a great accomplishment.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Frigid weather in Indianapolis for BOA Championships

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Bandmaster wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:26 pm
Temperatures have fallen into the single digits in Indianapolis, thanks to the Polar Vortex, where the Bands of America Marching Band Championships will be held starting Thursday. Even though the competition is held indoors, how will this effect logistics around Lucas Oil Stadium? If they have heavy snow fall or ice it will make things even worse. The fair weather bands traveling to BOA will have a fun time this week in Indy! :wink:
Lucas Oil is directly across the street from the absolutely massive Indiana Convention Center. Every band attending Grand Nationals is given a conference room at the Convention Center for their use (assembly, warm-up, etc). The South parking lot (the only lot attached to the stadium) is reserved for loading and unloading, so the props, pit, band, and guard all have the minimum distance possible to travel to get inside the stadium!

It's an incredible event. This was my third year in a row attending, and BOA Grand Nationals has supplanted DCI Finals as my "must see live" event each year.

Probably my favorite show was The Woodlands' spectacular "On the Town." They didn't just use Bernstein's music, they replicated the whole film: the band was in the all-white sailor uniforms and the color guard wore the single-color dresses the women wore in the film. It was the most fun marching band show I've experienced in many, many years.