Why so few new postings?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why so few new postings?

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:05 pm

I know that Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are the monsters of social media and most people post their messages on those platforms. But what I can't figure out is why so few people post new comments here? The number of visitors we get here is not really down very much. In fact the total number of unique visitors to this website is actually up quite a bit from last year and the year before, but most seem to be viewing the Events Calendar and the Scores pages. People are still registering for the forum, but they don't post anything. Maybe some of you folks can enlighten me and give some clues as to why folks are not willing to post messages anymore? If I am doing something wrong PLEASE let me know, I can take criticism well. :wink: Or is it just the sign of the times.... :(

Just so you all know... the World of Pageantry website has, as of today, received over 15,000 unique visitors so far this month!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Luis
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Why so few new postings?

Post by Luis » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:27 am

Dave,

You do amazing work with your website and it is still a great resource for all us. You are right though. Instagram is popular at the moment with many students, parents, instructors, directors and friends sharing content. Personally I'm not a fan of social media platforms, but I knew in order to engage more with my followers, I made the decision to create an Instagram account and it's been great in terms of communication. I communicate with my followers that are both local and international, and I like it! Have you considered perhaps integrating an API? That way, users here can sign in with their IG and/or FB account and post/comment on WoP. Or why not create your own Instagram account, call it World of Pageantry, and link back to your website? I'll be the first one to subscribe!

For me, what I saw and still see as an issue is not knowing who your users are (name, school affiliation, etc.) and if any of them would start a controversial topic, it would quickly get locked by the admins. I am guilty of not posting as much as I used to here, but I will do my part to post material, including links to videos and start discussion topics.

Thank you again for ALL you do Dave.

-Luis

SuperAction80
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SuperAction80 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:20 am

I think in it's heyday the board got too over moderated. Students were chastised for being too prideful of their own organizations, and their band directors were called and in turn many students and parents were barred from posting here by their band directors. It also became like a gang mentality with a certain groups of posters. People were made fun of because of the way they spelled and posted. Certain marches were vilified only to make a comeback after a popular group started replaying it. Poster's opinions were questioned because they weren't "band directors" or on staff with an organization, certain judging organizations seemed favored over others and eventually bands, students and parents would start their own Facebook pages, where they could interact in private with themselves, alumni and friends thus making this discussion board obsolete. People do come here to view the calendar and scores I suppose as I do, which is why the amount of people visiting has remained steady. However, that's it. Discussion boards, blogs have been declining for years now. Few have survived, more notably Drum Corps Planet.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:15 pm

Have you considered perhaps integrating an API? That way, users here can sign in with their IG and/or FB account and post/comment on WoP. Or why not create your own Instagram account, call it World of Pageantry, and link back to your website?
I have looked into a plugin that will allow users to login with their social media accounts. I have also thought about creating social media accounts for WoP, but I need to figure out how to do it without making even more work for myself to maintain the website. You have no idea how many hours I spend adding all the shows to the calendar nd the results to the scores page. Finding extra time to create postings for Instagram, Twitter ad Facebook is what makes me a little shy about doing it. I guess I show should put up a help wanted sign on the front page, eh? But hey, I created this monster, so its my own fault, right?
I think in it's heyday the board got too over moderated.
I believe that only happened sparingly. I always told the moderators that we wanted to teach "good sportsmanship" and it was band directors that asked me to control the kids when they got too prideful. They didn't want the wrong attention to be brought to their band programs. Whenever you have discussions you will always hear differing opinions, that's just part of life. Some of my most unpleasant discussions have occurred on Facebook (unmoderated), so going there is no real protection from that. But Facebook is where you can find people to talk about anything, not just band and music. I thought since we offer a targeted subject matter, "band-drumline-colorguard-drum corps," that we would still attract fans of those activities. I guess I was wrong.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:04 pm

My reason is simple: five years ago I left California. I can't attend any shows or provide any insight, but I still follow the goings-on from afar.

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:37 pm

Like someone said, over moderation. There’s no point in calling people out as they know who they are, but it WAS a gang mentality and you couldn’t even ask a question without being jumped on or chastised.
This “gang” would demand that threads dealing with predictions of competitions be shut down and so on. It stopped being fun and the whole forum became hostile.
This is my take, anyway.

Heyoo85
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Heyoo85 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:10 pm

Thank you Dave for all the amazing work you put into this site!

I think a lot of us who grew up before the advent of YouTube, Facebook, IG, Twitter relied on WOP (and forum) as a safe haven for like minded, lovers of the marching arts. I remember as a Sophomore in high school trying to find an mp3 of March of the Women Marines and you basically had to order a CD from Tower Records...until BOOM WOP's March Library!
Unimaginable to think today we have YouTube, filled with amazing performances from not only 2019 (thank you Luis and others!) but the 1960's/earlier. No more did we have to hear people tell us, 1969 Loara's Purple Carnival was life changing - we could actually hear it for ourselves (https://youtu.be/uP9O9x-PNUo) and yep, it's life changing! The conversation shifted from WOP to YouTube (96 comments and counting).

On top of social media, I agree with others that there was some heavy over moderating going on - to the point where it wasn't fun anymore. I understand there is a balance - Marching Band is an educational experience, meant to teach young adults responsibility, dedication, persistence, music and teamwork but there's also a level of competition. Some competition is good but unfortunately, competitiveness can really bring out the ugly in some to the point where sharing opinions meant that you would be crucified by our fellows and that's no longer very fun for anyone. Often times the conversation would shift into the judges and how a group was underscored or over scored - not exactly a fair thing to say. The take away is that everyone is going to have a different opinion or taste, some bands have good runs and bad runs and nobody has time or wants to read negative comments or put downs. Let's get back to treating others with respect and have a healthy, awesome discussion on our love of Marching Bands and the community.

Happy Thanksgiving!
"The happiest people don't always have the best of everything, they make the best of everything"

peapod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by peapod » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:47 am

Ironically, I think having fewer posts to read and reply to leads to fewer, etc. I've popped in now and then, only to find a couple of recent posts.
(I entertained myself tonight reading a long and very old thread on Hostrauser's 100 best marches and the genesis of the march library, so some things still remain fresh.)

Regarding YouTube: many comments tend to be compliments to the bands. I have no problem with this, but I liked coming here for more discussion, fewer one-liner posts. The Arcadia Festival of Bands always drummed up a lot of talk, predictions and discussions of results. I really miss that. (BTW, I was most impressed by the Eleanor Roosevelt HS Varsity performance this year. Diamond Bar's music - and music score - was mind-blowing.)

Maybe I'm old school (certainly relatively old), but I love the forum and wish there was more going on here.

instrumental director
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by instrumental director » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:10 pm

how about a board for jobs? I have a hard time finding techs, and not everybody searches at scsboa...

my 2 cents