Should I continue the Events Calendar and Scores Page?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Should I continue the Events Calendar and Scores Page?

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:22 am

Well, it's the start of a new competitive marching band season...

1. Should I spend "many hours" inserting all the competitions into our Events Calendar again this year? Last year very few users actually viewed the listings!

2. Should I take the time to add all the results of the competitions to the Scores Page again? How many folks plan to actually visit and view the scores?

Other social media sites have become much more popular than we ever were, and our viewership is way, way down. I have not cluttered this website with paid advertisements, so I make no money from the World of Pageantry and never have. So, there is no budget for me to advertise our services on other outlets to bring back viewership. Should I just say, "it was a good 25-year run," and turn the website into an archive for all the past competitions? I can turn this forum into a "read only" resource so folks can reference past discussions. But I would need to shut down the ability to post new comments, otherwise the spammers will take over the forum. They have already made messes I haven't cleaned up yet.

So, what do you think?
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Should I continue the Events Calendar and Scores Page?

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:42 pm

I appreciate all you've done over the years, Dave!

I still visit the scores page for one-stop-shop of Western band reviews, but with NCBA, WBA, and SCSBOA (and CSBC?) all having pretty functional websites for getting results, I don't know if your effort is worth it.

Wish there was some place to get AZ and NV scores. All I know of is here.

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cardinal Regime » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:19 pm

Yes Dave.......we appreciate all of your efforts.

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:48 pm

I value the world of Pageantry. I appreciate everything about it. It helps me a great deal. Please continue keeping it up.
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

geefunk1026
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by geefunk1026 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:22 pm

I appreciate you Dave.
It is great that you do it, but I wouldn't blame you if you hung it up.

BigFeetBigSocksTV

Post by BigFeetBigSocksTV » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:45 pm

Are scores not being posted? I came to see the scores from last night (Socal and Norcal)

Thanks!

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:00 pm

I have updated our Scores Page to include links to all the west coast marching band circuit scores pages. All the circuits and associations are now (finally at long last) posting scores and/or recaps in a timely manner.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

FVRR2014-Dad

Post by FVRR2014-Dad » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:49 am

Thanks for adding the links!

"1. Should I spend "many hours" inserting all the competitions into our Events Calendar again this year? Last year very few users actually viewed the listings!"

While the Events Calendar was very handy I don't think it's worth the "many hours" at all.

2. Should I take the time to add all the results of the competitions to the Scores Page again? How many folks plan to actually visit and view the scores?

I visited your Scores Page (Western) every week to see the results of our band and other bands. And I OFTEN visited the historical listings as there was no other way to see the old scores. Also, while WBA, SCSBOA, CSBC, etc. now post scores and recaps pretty quickly it is much nicer to have a single page to view all the scores but the biggest issue is these sites do not have a way to look up past year scores and recaps! So once next year starts we can't see the scores anymore like we could via your awesome Scores Page Western 1998-2021!

In any case, THANKS for all your many hours of hard work!

FVRR2014-Dad

orangeAltezza
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by orangeAltezza » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:02 pm

Calendar wasn't as much useful but scores aggregation and a scores archive really was amazing. Thank you so much!