Crosstown Rivals

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Respect For Each Other

Post by JLGORMAN » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:47 pm

Interesting Topic. The way we handled going from a city with 2 High Schools in 1999 to 4 high Schools the next year was to have all 4 Bands, Drill Teams and Cheerleaders take part in a Spirit Spectacular in Aug, before the first games. That way everybody saw each others show, and while we have some very strong and competitive Rivalries, the Bands are resperctful of each other. Here it is policy for the Visiting Band which performs first, to stand at attention on the track and view the home Band. After that the Bands both exchange visits with Drum Majors going to the other Band and leading it in at least one number. We can strongly want to compete against each other without being nasty and hurtful. Here in our School System, if you start lipping off at another Band, you can find out what it is like to sit out the next show or competition.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:10 pm

with ours it's more of the football teams and cheerleadrers who are major rivals. with the band we respect one another. when we went to championships at there school my frosh year and they werent in it they cheered us on all the way!! what a bunch of great ppl! i like there band. we have a trombone player that transferred over about a month ago.really cool guy! :D
Nothing is impossible with God!

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:18 pm

we almost never see each other so i guess we dont have much to say about them or them to say about us. so its a somewhat of respectfull relationship
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:05 pm

We have two. One in AAAA and another in AAA in our class. We have no problem with the quad-A band. They're great and alot of our friends go there but our other rivals use our field and come to our practices to see our show and run off and tell. This year they tried to do things to prevent us from going to championships and disrespected us at our own competition. They felt it was also theirs since they use our field. I thought this was totally crazy. We've never done anything to them! :(

I know their guard has been mean to me. I tried to get to my locker once, and they were practicing in our quad so I went on the sides and one of them started yelling at me. It was scary! I was glad their instructor saw my guard jacket... I was afraid she'd bite me with her rifle :oops:
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

Shota871
Rookie
Rookie

!

Post by Shota871 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:32 pm

My high school (North) has three cross-city rivals Torrance, South, and West, but our "official" cross-area rival band is Redondo Union, and it has been for a couple of years. :x
North High School Saxon Regiment ('00~'02)
North High School Drum Line ('00~'02)
North High School #10 Tin Can Band ('01~'02)
El Camino College Varsity Band ('03~'05)
USC Trojan Marching Band ('03~'06)

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:25 pm

I'm pretty glad that TO/Westlake treats each other well or at least the band does. We made good luck posters for each other when we went of to finals
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Crosstown Rivals

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:56 am

jordanfrausto wrote:What kind of respect do you show towards your cross town rivals. I know I for a fact am unpleased with the conduct and respect towards each other after performances. Ijust wanted to know what kind of respect do you have for your rivals and if so, how would u assist me in restoring the respect that should be shown towards our rivals. As far as my situation goes, I hope to brace this friendship through my friendly ties to friends in the opposing band
Tustin :D foothlill

im gonna have to disagree with you there jordan...
(we both goto tustin by the way)

yes we are rival schools.. and we are always trying to be better than the other school.. and we are always yelling at each other..

but the bands still have respect for each other..
Band is all about respect(at least what i think/ from my experences) and just becuase we are rival schools doent mean we dont have respect for the other band..

sure ill say "Man i really really hate foothill(rival school)" and "they should go back to where they belong.." and such like that but i still respect the band.

TUSTIN :twisted: Foothill
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:15 am

I wouldn't say cross town but cross conference we've got a rivalry with UCSB. We're cool with the rest of the bands.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:33 pm

last year we didn't have any cross town rivals because we were in a lower division than the other bands, but now that were up a division from last year, i think our "cross-town" rival might be Huntington Beach. They are a pretty good band and have some great people :D .
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

crosstown rival

Post by BlueStarMom » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:55 pm

In football that is easy to say, it is Riverside North vs Poly. Both bands however are in different classes. North is Class 5A, and Riverside Poly is Class 4A.

My daughter had friends in the Poly band (from her middle school days) before attending North. I asked her and she says it is Poly.

Both directors, Mr Mooring at Poly and Mr Jackson at North are great friends. Poly has loaned their auditorium to North for concert band performances.
BlueStarMom
:)

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:05 am

jordanfrausto wrote: John U say u respect them but how is that a sign of respect. I don't know about you all but that doesn't sound very supportive or respectful. I believe that if you demonstrate respect towards them you are showing proper manners. If the other band does not show the same manners then they are what I would consider of a lower statue. I feel that ur attitude and respect towards others ranks higher then ur performance quality. Do any of u agree?
I hope to end this "bitterness shared throughout my district by uniting and coming together and meeting with the leaders from all three schools, Foothill, Tustin, and soon to be Beckman. I feel I can act as a peacemaker for I have looked to exploit my connections with the members of the opposing schools. I would reconsider stating those kind of statements if u look to show full committment to resolving this issue. If I come to earn a leadership position I would enforce a policy of respect towards our opposing peers. Do You feel the same way?
just becuase i dont like the school doesnt mean that i disrespect the band... i have alot of respect for the band.. at the same time they are our rivals and there is still that aspect in there.. i dont think that between bands there is anything bad going on besides healthy cross town rival competision(sp?)...

honeslty i think the best feeling i had saluting was saluting the foothill drum majors.. becuase of the respect i have toward them... still hate thier guts.. but respect them = )
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:19 am

TMRsaxyDM wrote:
jordanfrausto wrote: John U say u respect them but how is that a sign of respect. I don't know about you all but that doesn't sound very supportive or respectful. I believe that if you demonstrate respect towards them you are showing proper manners. If the other band does not show the same manners then they are what I would consider of a lower statue. I feel that ur attitude and respect towards others ranks higher then ur performance quality. Do any of u agree?
I hope to end this "bitterness shared throughout my district by uniting and coming together and meeting with the leaders from all three schools, Foothill, Tustin, and soon to be Beckman. I feel I can act as a peacemaker for I have looked to exploit my connections with the members of the opposing schools. I would reconsider stating those kind of statements if u look to show full committment to resolving this issue. If I come to earn a leadership position I would enforce a policy of respect towards our opposing peers. Do You feel the same way?
just becuase i dont like the school doesnt mean that i disrespect the band... i have alot of respect for the band.. at the same time they are our rivals and there is still that aspect in there.. i dont think that between bands there is anything bad going on besides healthy cross town rival competision(sp?)...

honeslty i think the best feeling i had saluting was saluting the foothill drum majors.. becuase of the respect i have toward them... still hate thier guts.. but respect them = )
Jordan, I'm going to have to agree with John on this one. Competition is human nature, so having foothill as our rivals sure it's almost involuntary to make comments, but at the same time it's all in fun. I know many people at foothill whom I am friends with, we get along fine, we crack jokes about it every once in a while, but we are not getting into a full-on war. Usually schools have rival schools to raise the spirit of the students to show school spirit and pride.

Jordan, ease up, you're not the next Ghandi of TUSD. We can still have a little fun by making remarks about them, and still be able to respect them. I know that they do the same thing also, it's sort of a mutual agreement between schools in order to raise the students spirits and pride.