Newbie looking to start a band!

Post test messages, annouce your arrival on our scene, or just say "Hi"

Moderator: Bandmaster

Jade

Newbie looking to start a band!

Post by Jade » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:54 am

Hi there, iam new to this forum and am seeking ideas from people who have already established marching bands on how to start one. I was in one when i was younger but never had much to do with the organisation and unfortunatley now it has folded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am based in the UK.
Cheers

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:53 pm

Do you mean you want a job as a band director at a high school?
Soldiering On!

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:07 am

FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:Do you mean you want a job as a band director at a high school?
No. In England marching bands are not part of the school programs. They are independent organizations, kind of like youth bands and drum corps are over here in the U.S.

I would suggest first find people that would like to help and create a committee and divide the work load. Funding will have to be found and lots of local officials informed of your intentions. Instructors need to volunteer or be contracted. Rehearsal locations lined up and publicity created and distributed. Then recruiting members can begin.... maybe with a public open house event.

I remember doing all this and more back when I started the Sound Machine Youth Band in 1984.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster