Which baton???

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

DMspinner

Which baton???

Post by DMspinner » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:25 pm

I currently use a Peacock American Baton (38 inches) and a Regimental Mace Competitor Series Mace (52 inches). I'm going to spin military at school next year but the Peacocks seem so boring and dull and dent too easily... are the regimental batons better, in your opinion? (I am around 5'5'' to 5'6''-ish if that means anything)

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Which baton???

Post by dmcoach » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:33 pm

Unless you acquire a first generation Regimental Military, I wouldn't recommend them.
There was a design change from the first generation where the shaft was one piece. They changed it to a three piece design one year later and those have been a source of headaches not just for the students, but for the parents, instructors, and directors that try to send them back to be repaired. The design is flawed, and fails after a small drop. The ring below the dome becomes loose, and cannot be easily fixed as they claim. Trust me, a good number of students, parents, and even a handy band director have tried.
Until they revert back to the original design, avoid that particular model. They also offer one that looks like a Peacock military. Unless you favor a very heavy baton, wouldn't recommend it either.

Go with a 41" Peacock, or with one of the "Traditional Signal Baton" from Marching World's website. Those are more balanced, and very visible on the street. They also come in different colors.
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Which baton???

Post by DMJUDGE » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:12 pm

I mostly agree with dmcoach. :nenr: I personally do not like the regimental batons, they do not spin like a traditional military baton because of a different idea of where the balance point should be. For a military spinner, unless you can get your hands on an original JEMM baton, I prefer the 38 baton from peacock's. They are plenty visible on the street. What matters most is not what the baton looks like, but what you do with it!

just my .02
Brennan England
Warner Middle School, Director