Legendary Drum Majors

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

mmhsdm26
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Legendary Drum Majors

Post by mmhsdm26 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:53 pm

mmhsdm2 wrote:Its Ryan. Andrew (the older one) is mmhsdm26. I'm still deciding whether I should or not. It all depends if they do too.
Oh I'm doing it. Don't worry. Haha.
ArturoHerrera wrote:He will!! We made him!! :P right? haha you said you will so now you have to or we'll hunt you down and make you do it. Right joyce?!?! Let me get a huzza!
That sounds rather disturbing. Just saying.
A Russian Trilogy - 2006-2007
Fortune (The Music of Carmina Burana) - 2007-2008
When Kings Ruled - 2008-2009
Adventures Through the Looking Glass - 2009-2010

Mira Mesa High School Co-Drum Major 2008-2010
Low Reed Section Leader 2008-2010

Joyce M David
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Joyce M David » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:49 am

mmhsdm26 wrote:[

That sounds rather disturbing. Just saying.
haha thats Arturo just being Arturo. Lol. Though he can be very weird at times. Naw . jk. :lol: It's just that he's excited and we always love to see new faces at the L-pattern.
Joyce Marie David
Notre Dame High School (Sherman Oaks)
Irish Knight Band
Drum Major '08-'09
International Drum Major Institute (IDMI) Drum Major Instructor
World Drum Major Association (WDMA) Clinician/Instructor

mmhsdm26
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mmhsdm26 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:05 am

Joyce M David wrote:
haha thats Arturo just being Arturo. Lol. Though he can be very weird at times. Naw . jk. :lol: It's just that he's excited and we always love to see new faces at the L-pattern.
I hope you're both coming down to Valhalla then. Chances are that Ryan and the Bacongs aren't going much farther than that, haha. Mira Mesa should really host their own solo comp, that'd be fun.

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DMJUDGE » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:12 pm

Talk to your director, I would love to see more competitions in the San Diego area
Brennan England
Warner Middle School, Director

mmhsdm26
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mmhsdm26 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:31 pm

I'll talk to Mr. Dally during spring semester, but it's only his first year as director, and I don't wanna put too much on his plate. Maybe next year!

ArturoHerrera
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ArturoHerrera » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:28 am

Joyce M David wrote: haha thats Arturo just being Arturo. Lol. Though he can be very weird at times. Naw . jk. :lol: It's just that he's excited and we always love to see new faces at the L-pattern.
Naaah she's not kidding I CAN BE WEIRD AT TIMES.... fine at ALL times... :P so yeah it should be fun and I think having a competition over at Mira Mesa doesnt sound bad at all
Arturo Cesar Augusto Herrera Leon

Coach
International Drum Major Institute

Glendora High School:
Tartan Marching Band and Pageantry
Drum Major 2008-09

Jennconducts

Re:

Post by Jennconducts » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:12 pm

OCDM wrote: Larry Martin -- Mace Vista HS 1972 -- also mentioned elsewhere in this string. Great competitor, but bad luck in competition (dropped at Arcadia, for example). 4th at Santa Monica and 5th at All Western. Wonderful DM teacher. Now teaching junior college music.
Well, what a surprise to see me mentioned a couple of times on this board, in this thread after all these years! (OCDM: who are you!?) I'm "the artist formerly known as Larry Martin".

I have some wonderful memories of the DM and MB scene in SoCal from the early-mid 70s. My DM role models were the amazing Tim Heron and Bob Grindrod from Loara, and Dwight Shepherd from Glendora. My best buddy as a DM colleague was the incredible Bob Naeve from La Canada. Competitive highlights for me were: 1st at the San Diego Autumn Band Review, 4th at Santa Monica, tie for 4th at All Western, 1st at an L-pattern at Mayfair HS, 2nd at Arroyo. The Arroyo L-pattern was memorable because my best friend Bob Naeve won with a 99.0 and I was second with 98.5. Third was a 91, as I recall. The judge was a wonderful guy named Ron, who walked up to me before the awards and said, "Really great job! I gave you a 98.5." I thought that I won, of course!

All Western was my best parade performance, by far. All of the top 5 places were within 2 points. The guy from Loara who got 5th is now the choral conductor at Golden West College, and we ran into each other recently. Kippy Wooten from Villa Park won, and she kind of came out of nowhere. She was later the band director at Chino, and is now an attorney in Orange County, last I heard. Brian Fox was one of my main teachers, and is a dear friend. After Vista High, I didn't do college marching band because I needed to concentrate on my horn and on conducting, which has always been my first love. I did teach all of the camps of the day (Redlands/Cal State Long Beach, Hibbards, USA) for several years, and a lot of judging for Tom Peacock (also a dear friend back then), Hibbard, and SCSBOA. I taught HS band/orchestra for about 7 years (including Arroyo), and moved to the college level. I did the Pasadena City College/TofR Band for a year, where I failed miserably! (Ryan Turner was my WONDERFUL DM there) The Band did OK, but I didn't like the department, and they didn't like me. The person who replaced me, the gifted Jim Arnwine who is now the Dean there, was kind recently to say that I just "ran into a political buzzsaw". Jim remains a great friend. Since Pasadena, I left the MB world and concentrated on conducting, and today I'm the wind ensemble conductor/Chair of the Performing Arts Division at Cuesta College in San Luis Obispo. My career has been wonderful to me.

At Vista High, the DM's role was always for the band first, DM comps second. The band program was SO good then, and the DM leadership was great training for my future as a conductor/teacher.

I hope that my DM colleagues from those days are doing well: Conrad Lucero, Fred DiLuzio, Pat Briney, et al. Bob Naeve and I are no longer in touch. He is a lawyer in Orange County, like Kippy. I think of DM students that I taught/helped to teach quite often: Rusty Givens, Bob Suh, Kevin Brown...so many more.

If anyone from that eara is still around, please feel free to contact me; jennconducts@mac.com. Thanks for letting me share those old memories!
Jenn Martin

Oldmaceguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Oldmaceguy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:20 am

Oooooo.....as long as we're going back in time......there are 3 guys that come to mind after all these years.

The very first Tom Peacock Competition was held in 1975 at Eldorado HS and Mace Masters was won by a gentleman named Max Nardoni from Santa Monica HS, who then went on to win State Comp at Arroyo the same year. During an era of shaft-snapping and chain-rattling precision, Max pioneered a flowing and seamless florishing style which has been developed into the jaw dropping art form we see today.

There was also a young man named Edwin Fuller from Bonita Vista HS who, I believe, won in mace at All Western in 77'. In full kit and feather bonnet, Ed was the only mace DM executing quad and quint tosses. Unheard of back then!

Roger Mossman, Arroyo HS, 1975/76. Not only did he look like a Palace Guard recruiting poster, he had vocal commands that could be heard a quarter mile away. Scared Hell out of the spectators!

Bionikbill

Post by Bionikbill » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:12 am

Billy Jackson was also amazing. He was a 6'4 black guy, who had a smooth regal style. He was DM for John Glenn H.S and the Norwalk All-City Youth Band at the same time from 1995-1997, then went on to drum major for the Long Beach Jr. Concert Band from 1997-2001 or so. At USA drum major camp he recieved a "Superior Plaque" 3 yrs straight! Does anyone remember this guy?

jghsdrummer14
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jghsdrummer14 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:06 pm

Bionikbill wrote:Billy Jackson was also amazing. He was a 6'4 black guy, who had a smooth regal style. He was DM for John Glenn H.S and the Norwalk All-City Youth Band at the same time from 1995-1997, then went on to drum major for the Long Beach Jr. Concert Band from 1997-2001 or so. At USA drum major camp he recieved a "Superior Plaque" 3 yrs straight! Does anyone remember this guy?

A large amount of John Glenn Drum Majors aren't know much outside of the community, simply because they didn't do many L patterns, and didn't really compete at the bigger so-cal reviews like arcadia and what not. :D
Joshua Raymond Leduc
John Glenn High School Marching Eagle Band
Drum Major/Drumline Captain
2006-2010

soy_caliente

Post by soy_caliente » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:43 pm

I just wanted to bump this thread up to see if there are any recent drum majors who are legendary on or off the street

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Debbie Horrilleno, former Mayfair HS DM

Multiple spinning and conducting awards/ titles

CEO of True Brass Choir

Director of Conducting Events for Drum Majors of Southern California, Inc.

Mentor to many
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

razoreyes45k

Re:

Post by razoreyes45k » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:44 am

xDM89 wrote:I'm drawing a blank, but this is what I can remember off hand for the Mace Masters division:

1990: Jeff Whippo-Glendora
1989: Keith Penniger-Arroyo
1988: Ken McGrath-Glendora
1987: ??
1986: Richard Mercado-Pomona

1987: Chris Guda-Castle Park
*3rd in January and 1st in March/May Competitions & 1st GSC*

I'd also like to add a few more former DM's in the Mace category from the mid-to-late 1980's. These guys were very impressive in my opinion. I list them in no order regarding ability, only that their presence and performance both on the street and/or the L were forever burned in my memory.

1. Ryan Ring - Glendora
2. Ken McGrath - Glendora
3. Adrian Acosta - Azusa
4. Jonathon Young - Christian HS (San Diego)
5. Ben Gomperz (Misspell?) - Notre Dame
6. Richard Mercado - Pomona
7. Dean Temporal - Castle Park
8. Brian Sentif - Katella
9. Mat Thompson - Pomona
10. Jim Barton - Warren
11. Steve Brown - Foothills
12. Willie Biddlecomb - Montgomery

BTW: Much thanks to Mr. Acosta (father of Adrian and Abel) for video taping many L pattern and Band Review Competitions during the mid to late 1980's.
Last edited by razoreyes45k on Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Re:

Post by dmcoach » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:38 pm

razoreyes45k wrote:
xDM89 wrote:I'm drawing a blank, but this is what I can remember off hand for the Mace Masters division:

*3rd in January and 1st in March/May Competitions & 1st GSC*

BTW, I'm inclined to recall Ryan Ring of Glendora winning Peacok's overall in 86'. Am I mistaken?

I'd also like to add a few more former DM's in the Mace category from the mid-to-late 1980's. These guys were very impressive in my opinion. I list them in no importance regarding ability, only that their presence and performance both on the street and/or the L were forever burned in my memory.

1. Ryan Ring - Glendora
3. Adrian Acosta - Azusa
9. Mat Thompson - Pomona
10. Jim Barton - Warren

BTW: Much thanks to Mr. Acosta (father of Adrian and Abel) for video taping many L pattern and Band Review Competitions during the mid to late 1980's.
How was Peter Valdivia from Pomona? Would he make the list?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVViYEkSVEs
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

razoreyes45k

Re: Re:

Post by razoreyes45k » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:41 am

dmcoach wrote:
razoreyes45k wrote:

*3rd in January and 1st in March/May Competitions & 1st GSC

I'd also like to add a few more former DM's in the Mace category from the mid-to-late 1980's. These guys were very impressive in my opinion. I list them in no order regarding ability, only that their presence and performance both on the street and/or the L were forever burned in my memory.

1. Ryan Ring - Glendora
3. Adrian Acosta - Azusa
9. Mat Thompson - Pomona
10. Jim Barton - Warren

How was Peter Valdivia from Pomona? Would he make the list?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVViYEkSVEs
Thanks for mentioning Peter. The list I mentioned above is a collection based on my own memory. I'm sure there are more DM's of the era that deserve mention. I simply don't remember all of them because they were underclassmen. Most of the DM's I listed are mainly from graduating classes 1984-1987 with K. McGrath closing the bunch in 1988.

Other people on this thread have mentioned names like "Whippo" and "Penniger" (sorry for the misspellings). I remember those names briefly from other band kids who said these youngsters were the leaders for Mace Apprentice/Majors. I'm sure Peter and his DM peers continued the assault of fine Macemanship after I left in 1987.
Last edited by razoreyes45k on Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.