Legendary Drum Majors

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

ThunderBandRocks
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Legendary Drum Majors

Post by ThunderBandRocks » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:25 pm

Have none of you ever heard of Chad Humpal? Humpal should be the most legendary. None only is he an awesome band director. Mr. Humpal was the first drum major in the state of california to score a perfect 100. That's right. Not only once, but multiple time. This is the one drum major that everyone should be looking up to.

Bret Skinner is also very good. This is his first year being drum major at BCHS and he got drum major sweepstakes at the Santa Cruz Band Review.
"General Mitchell"(2008)-Alto Sax

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:57 pm

ThunderBandRocks wrote:Have none of you ever heard of Chad Humpal? Humpal should be the most legendary. None only is he an awesome band director. Mr. Humpal was the first drum major in the state of california to score a perfect 100. That's right. Not only once, but multiple time. This is the one drum major that everyone should be looking up to.
Most legendary, eh? I'm sure there's no bias in your statement, seeing as how you're associated with Buhach Colony HS and all. Well, I'm sure his spinning ability was great, but I think he's better known for his attitude than anything else.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

ArturoHerrera
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ArturoHerrera » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:00 pm

[quote="Joyce M David"] Though I have heard countless dm stories about him yet have never seen him spin, Ben Schroeder from Glendora was an amazing person who I met when he used to judge solo competions. [quote]

:roll: Man i wish I could meet him some day haha hopefully he still gots the spins goin on good =P
Oh and since my great friend here Joyce Marie David, currently Drum Major at Notre Dame High School (08-09), is too modest to say anything I'll add that drum majors, instructors, and even non-drum major audience would agree when I say she is herself a legendary Drum Major. She is one of the most clean-spinning drum major's I have ever seen even since the beginning of our sophomore years. Then, talk about sweeping 2008 solo Drum Major competitions haha. She's an amazing spinner, one of whom I actually enjoy competing against and I'm honored to call her my friend
Arturo Cesar Augusto Herrera Leon

Coach
International Drum Major Institute

Glendora High School:
Tartan Marching Band and Pageantry
Drum Major 2008-09

SRDM
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SRDM » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Ben Schroeder was one of my coaches. Along with him and Fred DiLuzio, I think I had the dream team for Military and Mace :D
Shamrock Regiment DM '02-'04

peapod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by peapod » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:19 pm

Joyce M David wrote:Hahah. I did not think of making an account for this website until recently since the Glendora drum major had asked me if I had one. So became curious and decided to make one.

In my eyes...who is like one of my best drum major friends, Arturo Herrera (the dm for Glendora this year) is considered pretty legendary. Not only is he an awesome spinner, but he is also a great person whom I have the greatest respect for.

I also tip my hat off to Andrew Park from Whitney. Not only did he do phenomenally last year, but he also did well recently at the La Palma Band Review.
Congratulations to all three of you --Andrew Park of Whitney, Joyce David of Notre Dame and Arturo Herrera of Glendora-- on your 1-2-3 placings and terrific performances at Arcadia yesterday. A real pleasure to watch.

ArturoHerrera
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ArturoHerrera » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:06 pm

Thank you very much i believe it was a close call and each of us three, knowing each other beforehand because of solo drum major comps, knew what each other was perfectly capable of and believed it was definitely going to be a toss up. Congratulations to andrew and joyce. Solo competitions 2009 are going to be awesome haha I hope people enjoyed themselves

Coach

Glendora High School:
Drum Major 2008-09

SRDM
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SRDM » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:29 pm

It's great to see drum majors from the same schools do well and pass along the torches to the future leaders. Back in the day, I had great relationships with James Pham from Whitney, Winston David from Notre Dame, Sam Audong from Loara, Ben Jiang from Arcadia, and Liz Ballinger from El Dorado, to name a few...

I can't reiterate enough how these days will imprint themselves eternally in your lives, and whether or not you continue to pursue music or not, you'll look back to these experiences and remember them amicably! :D
Shamrock Regiment DM '02-'04

Joyce M David
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Joyce M David » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:51 pm

peapod wrote:[]Congratulations to all three of you --Andrew Park of Whitney, Joyce David of Notre Dame and Arturo Herrera of Glendora-- on your 1-2-3 placings and terrific performances at Arcadia yesterday. A real pleasure to watch.
Thank you very much. Arcadia was the big daddy of them all. Going into it, we certainly knew that the judge was going to have a tough time since the crop of drum majors this year are talented, and the results would be close. Good job to Andrew and Arturo. They certainly did (as Andrew would say) "Bring it!". And very fine job also to the other competing drum majors as they certainly did lead their band on such a big band review.

SRDM wrote:It's great to see drum majors from the same schools do well and pass along the torches to the future leaders. Back in the day, I had great relationships with James Pham from Whitney, Winston David from Notre Dame, Sam Audong from Loara, Ben Jiang from Arcadia, and Liz Ballinger from El Dorado, to name a few...

I can't reiterate enough how these days will imprint themselves eternally in your lives, and whether or not you continue to pursue music or not, you'll look back to these experiences and remember them amicably! :D

You knew my brother? Winston David from Notre Dame? May I ask what your name is? Because when I was little I used to go to the L-patterns and watch him and the other drum majors. me aspiring to be talented like all the very legendary drum majors someday.
Joyce Marie David
Notre Dame High School (Sherman Oaks)
Irish Knight Band
Drum Major '08-'09
International Drum Major Institute (IDMI) Drum Major Instructor
World Drum Major Association (WDMA) Clinician/Instructor

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:48 am

Great day for Mace at Arcadia. Top 5 did great jobs, along with the others that day.

I wouldn't just limit this comment to the top 3, because there were 5 placements, and I think the other two drum majors should also be recognized. James from Kennedy, and John from Kaiser. Both pulled really clean and sharp routines that day, and both had great salutes, especially the way John from Kaiser just lands his salute position right from spinning. Very impressive!

The only thing missing from them were the fuzzy hats :wink:

Andrew (Whitney)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_yk-BXt2qE

Joyce (Notre Dame)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2rBvpt39Nw

Arturo (Glendora)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL530yRxUh8

James (Kennedy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pFiyYN9kjI

John (Kaiser)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbgV1tJ7Nzk

And here's a picture of 5 dm's that competed in last year's L-patterns, and competed against each other at Arcadia. Thanks for the memorable performances.
Arturo (Glendora), Joyce (Notre Dame), Andrew (Whitney), James (Kennedy), and Brian (Valhalla)
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

mmhsdm2

Post by mmhsdm2 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:18 am

Hi all.

I just wanna say what an awesome job everyone had at Arcadia on Saturday. I've been watching all the vids on youtube and I agree that mace had a great day. Good job to the top 5, and good luck at solos this year.
Mira Mesa HS Sapphire Sound
Drum Major '07-'10

dmcoach
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by dmcoach » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:30 pm

mmhsdm2 wrote:Hi all.

I just wanna say what an awesome job everyone had at Arcadia on Saturday. I've been watching all the vids on youtube and I agree that mace had a great day. Good job to the top 5, and good luck at solos this year.
I think you did a great job also. It'd be awesome to see you in the L-pattern competitions. :yeah:

MiraMesa DM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSl6uIX8apo
Bryan Ray
Drum Major Instructor, Parade Advisor
Too many to list

ArturoHerrera
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ArturoHerrera » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:52 pm

He will!! We made him!! :P right? haha you said you will so now you have to or we'll hunt you down and make you do it. Right joyce?!?! Let me get a huzza!

Coach

Glendora High School:
Drum Major 2008-09

ArturoHerrera
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ArturoHerrera » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:53 pm

Plus it's also very fun and the competition's tough haha I enojy it vewy vewy mucho

Coach

Glendora High School:
Drum Major 2008-09

Joyce M David
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Joyce M David » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:49 pm

I agree. L-pattern is really really fun. You shoud do it Ryan. Represent MMHS. Or is this 1 out of the 2 Bacong brothers? LoL. im confused.
Joyce Marie David
Notre Dame High School (Sherman Oaks)
Irish Knight Band
Drum Major '08-'09
International Drum Major Institute (IDMI) Drum Major Instructor
World Drum Major Association (WDMA) Clinician/Instructor

mmhsdm2

Post by mmhsdm2 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Its Ryan. Andrew (the older one) is mmhsdm26. I'm still deciding whether I should or not. It all depends if they do too.
Mira Mesa HS Sapphire Sound
Drum Major '07-'10