NCBA Timing Rule

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

vintagecrusher
New Recruit
New Recruit

NCBA Timing Rule

Post by vintagecrusher » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Is this true? Are they really going to shorten the performance time for groups? Personally, it wouldn't matter so much to me if they had decided this all the way back right after Winter 2011 ended, but now? When there are already a handful of instructors who may have already picked out their show music? And what about those who do/want compete in other circuits?

I understand that it would help the shows run more smoothly if everyone didn't have such a long show, and it would keep novice groups from trying to overdo what they are capable of; so I would understand if the restriction would only apply to novice/intermediate groups... But to ALL divisions Novice B through Open? That's not really being fair to the upper divisions themselves. I personally get captivated by those longer shows in the upper classes. I really do not understand why NCBA is doing this.

The most frustrating thing about it is that I had to find out from my director today (Sept. 21, 2011)... Is anyone else feeling the stress from this new time restriction?

peaches
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NCBA Timing Rule

Post by peaches » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:12 pm

vintagecrusher wrote:Is this true? Are they really going to shorten the performance time for groups? Personally, it wouldn't matter so much to me if they had decided this all the way back right after Winter 2011 ended, but now? When there are already a handful of instructors who may have already picked out their show music? And what about those who do/want compete in other circuits?
Yep...I can't remember what the new time limits are, but I do remember not being terribly concerned about it. This was discussed and voted on at the June Meeting...so took effect as of June 5th.

Can someone post the new time limits? NCBA's website still has the old Rules & Regulations up :(

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by oreocookis » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Well even though it was already voted on someone brought it up randomly at the Fall clinic during the colorguard movement clinic and apparently people ( forgot what they voted on, and they were told to talk to Mr. Nielson after the clinic to clarify since noone in the room remembered the exact time change), so I dont know what the outcome is and if it is still final. The people complaining were judges as well as being instructors ( and I thought it was them who had brought up the whole rule change in the first place, but they didnt want it to apply to their own groups since they were not novice.)
Jennie M
American Eagles Marching Band Woodwind, Colorguard and Winter Guard Instructor
Fremont Unified After- school Elementary Band Teacher

AJM

Post by AJM » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:23 pm

The new timing rule for NCBA winterguards is a maximum of 5 1/2 minutes for all guard classifiactions. The minimum equipment time is still at 4 min for HS's guards and 2 min for JH/MS's guards. The timing is not that different from WGI. "A" class guards have the maximum time allowed of 5 1/2 minutes with a minimum equipment time of 3 1/2 minutes. The maximum time for Open class WGI guards is 6 1/2 minutes with a minimum of 3 1/2 minutes of equipment time needed. Both classes can have a total minimum performance time of 4 minutes. NCBA's new timing rule should allow any guard competing in WGI type circuits to also compete in NCBA with no timing penalty issues. Currently there is no NCBA guard competing at the open level in a WGI circuit, althought that could change any year. Also if you ask any instructor of a scholastic/open guard they work to keep their shows to a 4 1/2 to 5 minute time length anyway. Standard equipment for NCBA is still flag, rifle, saber. If you want to no more information you should attend the general meetings, pay your dues, ask questions, and vote!

vintagecrusher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by vintagecrusher » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:30 pm

AJM wrote:The new timing rule for NCBA winterguards is a maximum of 5 1/2 minutes for all guard classifiactions. The minimum equipment time is still at 4 min for HS's guards and 2 min for JH/MS's guards. The timing is not that different from WGI. "A" class guards have the maximum time allowed of 5 1/2 minutes with a minimum equipment time of 3 1/2 minutes. The maximum time for Open class WGI guards is 6 1/2 minutes with a minimum of 3 1/2 minutes of equipment time needed. Both classes can have a total minimum performance time of 4 minutes. NCBA's new timing rule should allow any guard competing in WGI type circuits to also compete in NCBA with no timing penalty issues. Currently there is no NCBA guard competing at the open level in a WGI circuit, althought that could change any year. Also if you ask any instructor of a scholastic/open guard they work to keep their shows to a 4 1/2 to 5 minute time length anyway. Standard equipment for NCBA is still flag, rifle, saber. If you want to no more information you should attend the general meetings, pay your dues, ask questions, and vote!

OMG Thank you SOOO much for that info. It's weird, 30 seconds really do a lot in terms of time issues for me. The show I have already set for my kids is 5:24, and I was really concerned because there was absolutely no way I could cut my music without it sounding bad.

I can see where you are getting at too. Since our circuit really is about educating so it can thrive and mold groups that can move on to higher circuits, it's only fair to keep it at a respectable time limit. Now that I think about it, I never really watched an open show past 6 minutes.

Thanks for clarifying that. It REALLY helped! =]

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:08 pm

I always aim to keep my shows between 5-5:30 minutes any how. So it didn't affect my groups all that much. Our show this year will be no exception.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Eh, im glad its nothing too drastic. we aim to keep our shows around the 4:30 mark. I dont even like going to 5 personally but this year we'll be a little closer to 5 min.

1992tigger

Post by 1992tigger » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:57 am

Do we still have a maximum of 10 min on The floor ,perform than off the floor ?

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Yes, as far as i know the 10 minute rule is the same.