Swing Flag Hype!

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

vintagecrusher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Swing Flag Hype!

Post by vintagecrusher » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Throughout all of the shows I have seen so far in NCBA, the most favored piece of equipment used mostly aside from flag is the swing flag? And to be honest.. I'm confused. Was there a memo I missed about so many schools using it this year?

Haha. I mean I love using two big swing flags and I love the effect it brings, but I see it so much this year in NCBA.

Is this the start of a new "hype"? I really want to know what you guys have to say about it.

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Swing Flag Hype!

Post by oreocookis » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:42 pm

For me its not Hype. When I listened to the music for the song we're using it in it sounded like a thing that would help make a good impact. I had NO clue what other groups were using. Nor do I follow any trends anyhow. I just do what works for my group.
Jennie M
American Eagles Marching Band Woodwind, Colorguard and Winter Guard Instructor
Fremont Unified After- school Elementary Band Teacher

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Those are the short little hand-held flags, right? I know Concord HS has always had them for as long as I can remember. Back in the 1980s and prior they were pretty common, actually. Everything old is new again.

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 am

They went out of style in the mid-80's, mainly because they were not considered "legal" equipment by pre-WGI standards. (not the minimum flag size) Most Everyone wanted to use the full size flags.
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:45 am

Swing flags have become a general term for most all flags on a "pole" shorter than 5 feet. Or on a chain. (Does anyone use the chain ones?)

Concord HS ( I believe ) still use the traditional "drill team" swing flags. Its been a long while since I have seen Concord in parade, but for the 11 years that I competed against them, they used these.

I have a feeling that the above posts are regarding the larger swing flags favored by many field show guards.

As far as there being a "trend" of them this year, I feel that I see them pretty often on the field for many guards each year. I typically don't like to use them, as they get a mind of their own in a stiff breeze, however, I wanted to mimic water this year for our drum solo, and our giant blue swing flags worked well for this effect.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

Ravel
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Ravel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:59 am

South Hills have used swing flags during field season for a couple of years.
IMO they are better for field because they have a unique look that distinguishes them from regular flags, and they do bring more GE if used properly. However I haven't seen them used that often in indoor where most guards stick to the regular flags/rifles/sabers.
Pit
Pit
Pit
Pit
Pit
and, what do ya know!
Pit