Instruction Technique Question

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Majcrash

Instruction Technique Question

Post by Majcrash » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:41 pm

I'm a band person, but for various reasons, I've been asked to work with the winter guard this year. When the kids have learned the show, and it's time to do some polishing, how do you get them to not look like they are counting in their heads, and just moving from point to point? I think with the band, the music they are playing kind of smooths things out in the drill, but the guard doesn't have that. Any advice?

gperanda

Re: Instruction Technique Question

Post by gperanda » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:47 am

Good job getting mouth counting out of the way. However, students are supposed to be counting in their heads…. But they are not supposed to LOOK like they are doing it. Many times instructors concentrate exclusively on equipment and choreography, so it makes sense that students concentrate on the same thing. But they should also concentrate on performance! Sure, a lot of guard is being “clean” but that may come at the expense of having the kids look labored while they spin. In guard the students use equipment as well as expression (not only in their faces but in their whole body) in performance. I suggest showing them great WGI shows and have the kids really look at how the performers are PERFORMING. That way your guard can play around with how they exhume expression and energy and try to transfer that in their routine/choreography.

mariahorn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mariahorn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:54 pm

If the music that you're doing has words, have them sing along. DON'T do this for performance, but during practice (and just a few times, not constantly or it will become habit and they'll sing at performances) have them sing the words. Focusing on the words makes them unable to focus on the actual counts, and hopefully that will help them "feel" the music and have smooth work and get away from the robotic-ness counting can sometimes result in.

Mad City
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mad City » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:53 am

They are both right on! It's all about PERFORMING. We at El Camino Real Charter HS in Woodland Hills, CA work on performing just as much as we do everything else. It is built into our program like learning how to spin. They need to learn to "BE" the character or message you want to relay to your audience. Feel the feelings, be the music...I hope this helps. :D
"If you want something you've never had, you must do something you've never done"