Winter guard questions

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

DylanGiles

Winter guard questions

Post by DylanGiles » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm gonna be a high school junior soon and I've been interested in the winter guard for a while. I'm a fifteen year old guy. I want to know if you can audition for rifle right away, or if you have to do flag for a season. Flag and sabre and airblade and all that didn't appeal to me as much as rifle did, to the point where I had a toy gun that was roughly the size of a guard rifle and learnt spins and tosses from YouTube. I'm only going to be able to do two seasons of winter guard and I want to do rifle for both of them, is it possible?

Thanks

gperanda

Re: Winter guard questions

Post by gperanda » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Sup Dude,

It all depends on the instructor(s). Usually coaches want students to train on flag first to get necessary technique. A basic understanding of equipment manipulation on flag is transferable to rifle, especially for control. You might spin rifle, you might not. You might have to spin both... maybe be a prop or lifter. Nevertheless, prepare yourself the best you can and audition anyways. You will never know until you try. No matter what, the sooner you start, the more capable you can be to perform in DCI and or WGI later.

Hope this helps,
-GP