Performing Arts credit for color guard/winter guard

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

ananimitey

Post by ananimitey » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:19 am

According to the new UC guidelines regarding performing art credit, the class or activity cannot involve participation at a sporting event (football games). This would eliminate credit earned during the fall marching season. The program also has to have a progessive class schedule- Wind Ensemble I. Wind Ensemble II, etc. These requirements are very hard to establish for a colorguard program. It is hard to schedule a Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced Colorguard class and have the numbers to fill them.

If anybody has suggestions, please let's hear them. My director came to me asking to help in the pursuit of equality. The rules are hard to get around and the UC board will kick back any proposal with the wrong verbage.

Suggestions?......

pablo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pablo » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:39 am

In our situation here, we already have two different dance classes which makes it impossible to change the name to dance. In my opinion, colorguard/winterguard is a performing art. I have submitted a curriculum addition to our district and am waiting to hear if they will let us offer this class for performing arts credit.
Pablo

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Colorguard Name Change

Post by RifleDiva » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:32 pm

As a guardie I personally don't want to be called "dance program" because that's not what we are. We don't just do dance with props. Guard is more focused on the equipment, not the dance. And I like the name colorguard. It just sounds right. I couldn't imagine calling it anything else. Even "Tall Flags" isn't politically correct because it eliminates the rifles and sabres. Colorguard is more general and covers all aspects of the program.
Mr. Bill wrote: The more "Colorguard" is promoted, it will become more familiar with the college administrators and they will understand the dance format.
I agree with Mr. Bill on this. We are in an age where guard is slowly starting to make its mark. When my mother was in high school it was known as drill team and their flags were 2 feet tall. Things have changed since then and people just haven't realized it yet. Things like cheer and dance are better known because they have been around longer so more people are more familiar with them. Guard has gone through so many changes that they have to fight more to obtain this same recognition.
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:08 pm

With guard, you could call each class of rifle, sabre, and flag seperate and make those levels if your school has them. I don't know if UC's will count that, but is it worth a try?

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:55 pm

yeah but if you do that the people that choose to continue on flag will be stuck ina begginging leval and the wouldnt look good if u cant get to the next leval just a thought
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:27 pm

Well you wouldn't have to call it beginning, just to get around the UC's. Or call the freshmen a different class than the others or something.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:43 pm

Brilliant idea:
winterguard.... We're done with one season. We get our letters after four seasons.

Or you could go by the varsity guards and stuff. Some schools are too big and that's what they're called.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

Matadork05
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Matadork05 » Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:26 pm

Granada gets Performing Arts credit. We are on a block system so half a year of guard (or parade season basically) is equal to 1 year of classes. So we recieve a years worth of credit for only half of year of school. That sounds good right...only problem is we take guard all year, so thats actually 8 years of credit once you graduate(assuming you do it for 4 years). We are only required to take 3 classes a semester but color guard is an early class so it dosnt conflict. We have had members quit because they have overfilled on performing arts and elective credits. I am having the same problem. I filled my elective quota freshmen year. I technically took 2 years of color guard, 1 year of spanish, and drama for a year. That would have been fine but i took spanish that next year, color guard year round, and drama again. Just because i love messing up the credit system, i took color guard, drama and teacher assistant this year. Just to make it worse I also took drama electives on top of the regular drama course. (Advanced Drama, Advanced Theater Workshop...etc) I guess i might have a future in performance arts :wink:
-Reigning Miss NCBA-
Guard Alumni

My milkshake brings all the boys to the board and they're like "itz btr ten urz".

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Credit?

Post by GuarDiva04 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:48 am

Our program, over the past who knows how many years have fought for PE credit and just this year we are recieving it. Sucks for me, I already got my PE out of the way by sophomore year. We recently, sometime int he past 2 years, changed our name to the Advanced Pageantry DANCE. Now... guard at Fairfield has always counted for Performing Arts credit for our HIGHSCHOOL. It has never counted for UC's... which boggles my mind because what part of it ISN'T Perfroming Arts. I think someone, sometime, needs to invite lots of UC administrators to WGI to SHOW them live and in person... we deserve Performing Arts credit... hmm.... maybe that will be a New Year's resolution for me!!! ;)
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010