West Regional Finals Review

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

engineer
New Recruit
New Recruit

West Regional Finals Review

Post by engineer » Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:56 pm

This was my first year going to the West Regional, and WOW James Logan has a nice gym. Anyways... here we go

Scholastic A
WGI posted the finals time incorrectly and the contest actually started at 8:00 instead of 9:00 so I missed more than half of the groups, because of this I only saw the last two groups.

Arroyo Grande High School - Looking at the Prelims score they got first, this afternoon they got 4th. This was a well performed show, nice presence from the group. Not as clean as it should be in some parts, mainly section right before the flag feature. A very talented group from the Central Coast.

Fowler High School - This school basically had many things going on for them. The girls breathed GE :D , too bad the captain broke her hand that she couldn't spin in the show. Still nice level of confidence throughout the group, expressed very well in the flag feature. The rifle work is the only weakness of the show.

Independent A
In Motion - This show is a lot like their show last year. Those faces are becoming their trademark, but they pull it off well. Although the song really doesn't demand that same agonized face, they make you believe it. The show is very well staged allowing maximum exposure for each performer. The highlight of this group, their movement, very sophisticated.

Riverbank - Their show had something to do with circles. I think they performed to a piece by Phillip Glass who seemed to be very popular this year for music selection. A very invovled show for their class with a lot of different things going on between the different groups, but they work together throughout the show. The flag feature was well done, the musicality of the flag work with the soundtrack was perfect, nicely excecuted.

Ventura - This group has definitely grown this past year. With what looks like an entirely new group of talented kids, they bring to life the music of Andrea Boceli, i think. It's some opera piece. Very graceful dancers, and the guys work the music, nice solos through the group. The add-on of flags works well with the music.

Scholastic Open
Buchanan - A show that has progressed through the season. This was definitely their best performance yet. You could feel the emotion flowing from the performers. The guy can definitely work the equipment, and moves well too. The transition to the flag feature was the weakness of this show, but the flag feature makes up for it.

Moreau Catholic - Their music sounds the same through the entire show. It's pretty hard to figure out the real pushes in the show because the beginning and the end sound pretty much the same. Lots of partner dance work, lots of dance work in general. No weapons in their show, just flag. The flag feature was very nice, but technically very easy.

Fairfield - Nice musical selection, Palladio. There was defnite presence through the group, you could feel every catch and breath from them. I have to say I like last years show though, it was more entertaining. Their drill moves so fast that you're overwhelmed with what to look at, so many things going on at the same time that they just don't quite fit together. Nice ending, with more accuracy they'll definitely be ready for WGI champs.

Chino - Very entertaining show, the girls definitely had fun performing this one. Nice uniforms, black with silver trim down one side. They have some powerful girls tossing rifles, always nice to see.

Clovis - The presence could have been better from this group, but they show was performed nicely. A nice level of sophistication with the group, good job ladies. The weapons were on this afternoon, good toss heights, releases and catches.

Upland - There was a definite reason this group was promoted at the beginning of the season. This ensemble sells their show to the audience, and we buy it. The scared faces just sucks you in to their show, and their execution is outstanding, everything just moved together.

Oak Grove - One of the many Phillip Glass shows, this was about cloning. The concept of the show was well defined in the beginning, and their flags developed the theme as well. For every new "clone" their flag has one more gold square on it. The "original" girl performs wonderfully, a total package, execution, emotion and presence.

James Logan - You have to give it to this group. Primarily composed of freshman and sophomores, these kids make things look like it's nothing. A couple of drops though, but never detracts from their show. It's definitely a "new style" (name of their show), well not really they're working off the hip-hop groove from Logan TKO.

Rancho Cucamonga - There was a big difference between them and James Logan. The sophistication, excecution, and presence was much higher than them. The opposing sides theme worked extremely well, and the looking at yourself motif was interesting. The flag feature was the best part of their show, it's a Beyer-esque flag feature, very well performed and executed.

Ayala - How many people are actually in this group. Their show entitled "Pathways" had people moving in and out of the floor that it was hard to keep track of who was on and when. Awesome level of performance, loved every moment of it. The doors were effective throughout the show, which added to my confusion. =) They definitly could medal at WGI champs this year. Great job.

Independent Open
I didn't get to catch Exaltation or Oregon Crusaders, eating lunch.

Glenbrook - This show starts off nice, with an instrumental beginning of "Sing for the Moment", their show was actually a montage of Aerosmith music. Most of the music selection made sense and the transitions worked well between them but the ending is pretty weak. Very odd transition, just doesn't quite fit, and technically easy. Their wrists have to be tired from the end of their show. The male rifle line was ok, could use that extra squeeze on tossing and catching.

Raiders - Very well performed. Their act out their theme very well, good use of props in their show. Nice solos from the female saber, amazing things done under tosses.

Orion - I love their floor, you're literally looking at paint samples. The cool part is that the colors reflect back on the white flags. This group is much better than last years enesmble, much more entertaining. Good effects and excellent flag feature, it was very clean.

Northern Lights - I like the phrasing of the different parts of their show. They moved well from piece to piece in all asepects. Some intense flag work going on through the show, the rifle tosses were perfect, good spin, rotation and height.

Blue Devils - Their new beginning was the flag feature of their show at the beginning of the season. Their new flag feature, the 2nd flag feature is powerful, in true Blue Devils Fashion. The male soloist works the entire show, you can see it in his eyes. Wonderful performance from this group, they deserved what they got.

Scholastic World
Clovis West - Their theme is reinforeced with their final cut of their sound track. It makes for a more effective show, especially with the gray backdrops outlining the floor. The girls have a true sense of performing. This their flag feature was relatively easy to their class, ending works well with the girs going off the floor.

Arcadia - I don't know what I was looking at more, them or the huge pipes on the floor. They moved them around the floor creating the staging area. The tricks on the rifles were outstanding. They may have only been back spins but they did them with style.

Rancho Bernardo - This school has definitely proved their spot in this class. An original show, essentially a comedian's show with music. Highly entertaining, and a crowd pleaser. These kids are wonderful perfomers, especially during the flag feature which was amazing, simple yet efftive. The whole no music ending seems to be a theme with many SW groups.

Beyer - Definite class, and sophistication from this talented group of ladies. They are without a doubt the best dancers in the Central Valley. Another classical piece that add variety to the world class. They have the, "how did you get there with your flag" thing going on, spinning in planes that you didn't think exist. Another intense flag feature to match the intensity of the music, and another no music ending. Well done.

James Logan - They never cease to amaze me with every performance. The talent levels of this group are literally through the roof, probably with their rifle tosses. They have nice purple rose flags for their show. Their presence, attitude, execution, emotion were dead on tonight. Their show screams General Effect, a show in true Logan fashion. Go NorCal!!! And yet the next no music ending, but they do it best by getting the crowd involved. I see #6 in their future.

Independent World
Fantasia - Holy WOW! Who knew there were so many different tricks you could do on only three pieces of equipment. If you didn't think it was possible, well they made it possible. If there was an equivalent fo exteme sports in guard this is them. Their entire show was INTENSE, you could not stop screaming with what they did. The biggest detraction from their show, the letter F. Equipment everywhere, people everywhere, flag all over the place, but in the Amazingly staged and executed way.

San Jose Raiders - The depth of this show is it's strongest aspect. An extemely talented group of adults. They bring a new sense of artistry and sophistication to this activity. It's literally beauty in the making. The individual performances captivate the emotion of Frida as they all bring the show together. One of the best flag feature I've ever seen, next to Beyer's 2002 show, the body isolations rile the crowd. The trippiest part of their show, where they lean on their flags. They have an innovative way of ending their show, it's almost too simple to be true but really only they could pull this off, picking up your equipment off the floor so you can get out much quicker. Congratulations to you Raiders!! 2003 West Regional Champions!!

Note that both Fantasia and Raiders are both scoring in Box 5, how much higher can they go?

Great job to all the performers at the West Regional and best of luck at WGI Championhsips :D Represent Cali!!

LHScg
New Recruit
New Recruit

the letter F

Post by LHScg » Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:49 pm

In regards to Fantasia I am not quiet sure how the F is distracting. I rather like it. But that's just me. I am new at this whole wintergaurd thing but that show is by far the most difficult, exiciting, breathtaking and all wonderous show i have ever seen.

queen_colin

bah

Post by queen_colin » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:01 pm

LHScg...did you happen to miss the San Jose Raiders World guards performance?
"i strongly believe that the visual arts are of vast importance. of course i could be prejudiced, i am a visual art."
-kermit the frog

LHScg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by LHScg » Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:53 pm

No I saw it I enjoyed it ALOT, it was most breathtaking nand enjoyable but I just enjoyed Fantasias show better thats just my opinion. the whoel thing keeps me shaking the whoel time its gives you this feeling that no other show does. Raiders is awsome to though.

BeanSprout

Scholastic A

Post by BeanSprout » Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:46 am

Did anyone see all of Scholastic A ? I want to know how Homestead did. The girls with the peach silks and bowler hats, with red ties..? :?: :?: :D

RifleHomie

Finals in Hayward

Post by RifleHomie » Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:24 pm

yeh i think RB really deserves to be in SW now. they have been working really hard to get here. it now shows that they have earned the right to compete with the rest of the SW guards. JAmes LOgan WATCH OUT!
sup everyone? da names Rich "shabanguh" Clarin. i've been in guard for 4 years now. RifleHomie was born in Mt. Carmel's Guard and is currently growin up in Rancho Bernardo's Guard...and the story continues.

BeanSprout

Post by BeanSprout » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:01 am

but they are in SW