NCBA STREET PERCUSSION: pushing the envelope......(?)

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Powerhouse08
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NCBA STREET PERCUSSION: pushing the envelope......(?)

Post by Powerhouse08 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:52 am

hobgobln13 wrote:If I may add my two cents, I recently took over a program that competes in fall percussion and having primarily a winter background, it is an interesting activity to wrap your mind around. The staff and I took an "indoor approach" because it made the most sense to us. The rule book for street is pretty plain and simple and unlike field or indoor percussion, there is no professional street percussion league to see what is pushing the limits. We use fall as a primer for winter, so why save the big moves for winter when the kids are hungry to do things (and are capable of doing them) now. Testing things out in a two minute piece is really a nice way to test what the kids are able to do and design a more optimal winter show.

In sum, I think since most percussion instructors are coming from either indoor or outdoor corps experience, it's only natural to see those trends seep into an area that really has no definition. Just my two cents though! I respect the old school way of things too. Without the balance of old school and new, you'd either have an activity that remains true to itself but has difficulty keeping itself fresh or a constantly changing activity that become difficult to get substance from and thus become difficult to adjudicate.

I think that's an awesome explanation. By the way Hobgoblin, I recently saw a video of Franklin and I gotta tell you, you guys look really really good! Keep up the good work man!
Atwater High School 04-09
music arranger/visual design/snare tech
Merced High School 09-12
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head
Golden Valley High School 12-?
music arranger/visual design/Percussion Caption Head

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:29 am

I think we should continue the street percussion venue as it is, but tighten the forward motion rule a little. Give them a 75 foot area to perform in and like the bands, the unit has to pass an end line at a certain point (2 minutes?) I'd have to see a judges sheet to determine how the actual visual credit they are receiving to justify all the stuff they are doing. As I mentioned before, I think most of it is not receiving credit. Kind of hard for a single judge to do everything.
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself

hobgobln13
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by hobgobln13 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:43 am

Hostrauser wrote: I think that's an awesome explanation. By the way Hobgoblin, I recently saw a video of Franklin and I gotta tell you, you guys look really really good! Keep up the good work man!
Thanks Powerhouse, I appreciate the compliment. Got a great staff out here who are very passionate about the activity. Golden Valley is always impressive and Atwater's 09 winter show is one of my favorites. Perhaps we'll see you at TOC.
JT
Franklin H.S. 2012-2017 - Percussion Caption Head
Pleasant Grove H.S. 2007-2012 - Percussion Caption Head
Elk Grove High School 2004-2007 - Bass/Percussion Tech