Who Inspires/motivates Your Drumming???

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

ChaoSnare
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ChaoSnare » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:58 pm

my drumline instructor (kudos to Karl) and his major chops. Whenever you see him drum you think"holy shiz I want to be that good" and so you go out and start working to be as good as him...or better. Plus, the high you get when you've been working on something for sooo long....and suddenly, you can do it! Yes!!! hmm...Can't forget that feeling when you know you're improving and things just get easier and better. ahhh....

sexydrummerchic
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by sexydrummerchic » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:39 am

i think it is the center snare, and section leader. they motivate me to try out on snare and practice!
stupid square peg too big for the round hole ..... ::gets bigger hammer::... i knew it fit somehow.......

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:23 pm

There's a girl (who is now our pit captain) on the line who has only been playing 6 months but is working incredibly hard. Her drive is very inspiring to me, and even though she does not know everything, she'll go to the world's end to learn. It is very good to see.
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

SavSnare04

Post by SavSnare04 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:51 pm

Well for me, I just try to get better everyday. I push myself to the limit. I dont even need to get motivated, im already there. I just love drummin so much I can't stop. If I improve everyday I have accomplished my goal. Although if I don't push myself and take it to the limit it's lost its purpose. Why look up to other lines/ players when you can take it to that next level? If you look up to someone you're only tryin to be as good as them because you feel you'll never be better. I've gone through high school with Tom Float as our instructor. Sure he's an awesome drummer and an even better guy, but if you dont motivate your self and just drum for the self-saisfaction, it doesnt mean anything. Glen crosby and Dave Henkel are awesome too. (our current instructors as of this year. Great job guys)

TOP BASS FROM THE THORNE
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by TOP BASS FROM THE THORNE » Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:49 pm

the beginners motivate my drumming because i remember how it was to drum for the first time and everything seemed so cool

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ace » Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:55 pm

I get my motivation form our instructors...they scare me. :wink: lol
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:57 pm

SCV's drumline motivates me, that's what line I wanna be on atleast one year when I do corps.

MHSpitchick
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MHSpitchick » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:39 pm

I have a lot of motivation. My instructors; we have three awesome instructors, one is in RCC and one is in BK, so everytime I watch them I just think, wow, i want to be as good as them! Also, other lines like Ayala, Mission, T.O...all so good.
*MoOrPaRk hiGh*
*02-*03 maLLeT LiNE
*03 fALL- PiT cAptAiN /maLLeT LiNE
*04 sPriNG- PeRcUsSiOn cAptAiN/maLLet LiNE

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:23 pm

TOP BASS FROM THE THORNE wrote:WELL IVE MARCHED CORPS FOR 3 YEARS NOW, AND WHEN I COME BACK IM INSPIRED TO WORK HARD OF A CORPS LEVEL.
NO NEED TO YELL!! :roll:

TOP BASS FROM THE THORNE
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by TOP BASS FROM THE THORNE » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:33 pm

Karl is a cool and talented guy! He is a tech at the corps that i march. He really knows his stuff!

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:43 am

I would have to say the parking lot too. BD is great and so are all those corps but, when your in competition mode and you get there hearing those drumlines either suck or do some crazy ass crap you want to make it so you sound like your one of those crazy drumlines. I remember watching Poway's drumline at Mt. Carmel and going "Wow!" By the way they have a crazy bass line. they are totally tight. there was a crowd watching them and everything. I don't Know. that made me be harder on the lower class men, which is like everyone in the drumline except me and 2 others, and i found our drumline doing 32nd notes with the bass line and adding a 2 16th runs at the end and almost convincing my director to put in 32nd runs earlier in the show. That was pretty cool cause the intensity definately helps.

Bass2tubagod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bass2tubagod » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:04 am

Sometimes when I start reading some of these posts I start to realize how lucky I am. I have been accepted to one of the greatest hornlines in DCI and already marched in a different amazing one. But then I was asked back to the January camp for BD's bassline and placed very high among the SCV bassline members as far as skill level. But I chose to audition on brass instead since that's my forte. My winter line is throwing down more (notes and cleaner) then most of the WGI lines out there last year and I get to play drum 2. It's good to look up to other groups but don't set your goals to low. I've only been playing drums for 2 years and BD was an option. So does this mean that it's time to get arrogent and stop practicing? No way. I still suck in my opinion and I hope that that never changes. The way I see it, the more you think you suck, the better you can get. The higher you set your standards the easier it will be to reach the lower ones. So go ahead and admire BD and any other corps but don't think for a second that you couldn't be one of those guys. They learned to play eights just like the rest of us. :D
I'm still Red, but blue thoughts are clouding my mind. Those who know drum corps know what I'm talking about.