baton twirlers

Topics covering the dance, drill team, pep squad and baton twirling scene

Moderator: Bandmaster

mrankimonki
New Recruit
New Recruit

baton twirlers

Post by mrankimonki » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:09 am

Just a random question: does baton twirlers refer to Drum Majors as well... since they do twirl *sure they call it spin* batons :lol:

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

Drum Majors are NOT Baton Twirlers (In Most Cases)

Post by Mr Pageantry » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:23 pm

Although Drum Majors use BATONS and (or) Maces.. we do not think this is the catagory for those Postings... We meant the competitive and parade twirlers who use one or two (or more) twirling batons, and who march and perform with a band as an auxiliary person....

Drum Majors are historically the people who control and move the band as a unit... they are usually not counted as 'auxiliary' but rather as Drum Majors... I may be wrong but they are judged on their own sheet and have their own score sheet.... There are many competitions in California for Drum Majors.. Most well known coordinator of Drum Major activity is Tom Peacock of Anaheim CA... Also the USA Camps have specialty camps for Drum Majors.... and there is a drum major academy now in San Diego run by Tony Patchen...

I am not that much aware of drum major activity... so Drum Majors.. how about helping out here...

Baton twirlers perform as soloists to recorded music.. march in parades to the bands music where they perform routines, and also on the field at field tournaments...... Baton twirling has evolved into a primarily female activity, although at one time there were more Men twirlers than women... Currently in SO CAL we have Don Garcia who has won titles all over the world and who is still adjudicating baton twirling competitions and teaching soloists.. Baton twirling is relatively new (20th century).. whereas Drum Majors date back for centuries with military bands.

Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

mrankimonki
New Recruit
New Recruit

Baton Twirlers and DMs

Post by mrankimonki » Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:52 pm

I'm a DM and I guess i know what a Baton Twirler is... i was just wondering if this was the forum where we could discuss DM stuff cuz there wasnt a DM forum... haha :-)

Tom Peacock - yes he's an awesome guy and I love competing in his circuit during the spring (cant wait for it again)....

my post was just a random question cuz there was nothing else posted on this page of the board:-)

Thanks Harvey for your good explanation though:-)

Ankit

Abel11673
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Drum Majors are NOT Baton Twirlers (In Most Cases)

Post by Abel11673 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:42 am

I did a little searching a few weeks ago because our drum major asked where did the name "Drum Major" come from. The director and myself, being both drum majors in high school, way-back-when :lol: , and also being drum majors for the Santa Ana Winds, we couldn't remember. So I came across this website that gave a history lesson on the Drum Major. In the early 1900s, Baton twirlers were considered "female" drum majors. But read for yourself. I was even surprised at what I learned.

www.majorettes.ca/hist1.html

later!

twirlerkat

I know...

Post by twirlerkat » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:54 pm

A while back, majorettes were known as Drum Majorettes. The mace or drum major baton (that long bulbous stick with the corded tassle thingy) is/was used to keep time for the band to lead the band with. Mostly I think they're used now for show as opposed to being actually used still for leading, most DMs use their hands/arm movements to keep time for the band nowadays. I imagine that the 'drum majorettes' may refer to if they were doing the military style of marching where they did drills or sharp formations/movements "on the square" as opposed to musical fluid movements like non-military type marching wheras they may've helped keep time also & just evolved into twirling as it is today in non-military style type bands. 8-)

Irish11

Re: baton twirlers

Post by Irish11 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:32 pm

So whatever happened to Donald Garcia?? Wow was he somethin else. He done good:)

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:47 am

Irish11 wrote:So whatever happened to Donald Garcia?? Wow was he somethin else. He done good:)
He is teaching baton and still performs every now and then. One of his students, Matt Freemen, performs with the Long Beach Junior Concet Band.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Irish11

Post by Irish11 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Cool. Glad to see he ended up such a huge success. And that he stuck with it all these years. I remember seeing him at baton contests when he was a wee pup. LOL!

Bet he's an excellent teacher.:)