Marching whistle commands?

Topics covering the dance, drill team, pep squad and baton twirling scene

Moderator: Bandmaster

db

Marching whistle commands?

Post by db » Thu May 22, 2008 9:30 am

We are new to drill team marching and are learning the basics.

Can anyone tell me where to find online a table or list of whistle/ marching commands?

Thanks,

db

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 am

Well I did some cursory checking for you, and there's nothing I could find by Googling myself into "whistle command" oblivion, getting to know about horse drill teams and the like. I have a feeling that you could probably "create your own" commands. Just keep a few things in mind...

1. The whistle has to be loud and in good working order. I don't know if they sell them anymore but a simple "Acme Thunderer" is all you need.

2. The whistle commands have to be in tempo with whatever beat your either marching to, or music your performing to.

That being said, drum majors have their own whistle commands they use, but again, there's nothing "written". For me in my DM days, I used the following...

Forward march....tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet (2cts), pause 1 ct, tweet, tweet, tweet, tweet (each on the beat).

Mark time....tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet (2 ct), tweet...NO pause, and one tweet, but I was also using a mace to add to that command (that would be A MACE, not a can of mace...lol!!...oh I kill me)

Halt....tweeeeeeet, (long one ct with the release on the 2nd beat), tweeeeet (same thing as before except you start this on third beat with a release on the 4th beat), tweet tweet tweet (on the next 1, 2 and 3.) Think of the halt as an eight count "phrase"...

Anyway--it's drill team...have fun with it...I don't think there's any set rules about WHAT to do, as long as the whistle commands are loud, in rhythm, and consistent.

ChamberKid209
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Marching whistle commands?

Post by ChamberKid209 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:14 pm

Scottish: name of your group, followed by "by the center/right (depending where you dress from) quick march"
Command are the same as American. onlinedrummajor.com has a whole dictionary on drum majoring.

Thunder Band, by the center quick march. No pauses and in 6 counts. If you do 8 you would have a one count break after quick and you wait one count after you say march. So, you would say march on 7, silent at 8 and step off at the 9th beat.