Former Baton Twirler Looking for New Information

Topics covering the dance, drill team, pep squad and baton twirling scene

Moderator: Bandmaster

Doggygirl

Former Baton Twirler Looking for New Information

Post by Doggygirl » Fri May 06, 2005 12:24 pm

I was a competitive baton twirler back in the 60's through the mid 70's. I am now 47 years young. I am hoping to find others who competed during that era, and find out what you're doing now and how that competitive experience during our youngest years affected your adult lives / careers.

I have been totally out of the sport since I was 17, with only one exception. I went as a spectator to an Illinois state championship about 7 or 8 years ago. I was pleased to see Bonnie Baxter there - a former coach of mine towards the end of my competitive career. It was interesting the see the changes that have taken place in the sport.

If there are other former baton twirlers in roughly my age group that participate in this site, I would love to hear from you!!

If any of you know of other sites where I might find former twirlers in my age group, I hope you will share!

Those competitive experiences of my youth have had such a positive impact on my life. I hope all of the young competitive twirlers of "today" can reflect on that same positive result on down the road.

Thanks!
Doggygirl
Former Baton Twirler in the 60's / 70's
YIKES I'm dating myself!

GVHS123
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by GVHS123 » Fri May 05, 2006 5:04 pm

Hey former Twirler, I just happened to read this section and I saw your post. I was a twirler in the 60's and 70's in California. Being a twirler was a pretty big deal then. One of the girls in my group was California State Champion, I think in the 12 and up age group, as I think we were in about the 7th or 8th grade. I am 49, so that seems about right. Our group was 3rd in the State that same year whatever year that was, same age group. Twirling is not a real big deal any more. I haven't really seem any real hot and heavy twirlers in years. We did all the tricks and the fire baton, can you even do that any more in school, probably not. But in those days there were no computers, 3 channels on TV, no movies, etc so we spent alot of time just twirling. We took our batons to school everyday and twirled everywhere we went. Since i lived in a remote, real small town, there was not much else to do but practice. I can still twirl the hell out of a broom stick or anything else similiar. Anyway, just thought I'd say hello and thanks for sparking some memories.... what a crazy fun times the late 60's. I just flashed on the outfits we wore with all the fringe, sparkles and those high boots.....crazy times.

Batonmom

Baton Twirlers

Post by Batonmom » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:07 pm

Hey Twirlers! Once a twirler...always a twirler! Twirling is alive and well. In some states, it is BIGGER that ever. I am the mom of 2 competitive twirlers. State, Regional, National and World Competitions are pushing "today's" twirlers to new heights. The boots are definitely a thing of the past however! I'm not sure why baton twirlers are not utilized in field shows. I would love to hear how auxillary judges deal with a "feature twirler". High School Band directors have said that twirlers "distract" from the band, yet I am aware that colleges seek out twirlers. The larger universities even offer scholarships. If anyone has information to guide us in breaking through the road blocks, I'd love some advice. Thanks and good luck this season!

usbta

former twirlers

Post by usbta » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:02 pm

United Stated Baton Twirling Alumni www.usbta.org we are always looking for former twirlers

Irish11

Former twirlers.

Post by Irish11 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:46 pm

LOL! Does anyone post here?? 2005??? Anyhow, a guy I work with from the 90's generation told me about this site, so I'm havin some fun:)
I also am from the late 60's, all the 70's, and slightly into the 80's.
Things are sooooo different now. I thought maybe NBTA went away, but I just found it on the net. DMA was just getting big, and is AYOP still out there?? I'm from So-Cal and yes twirling WAS a big deal and highly competitive. I guess its gone down hill over here, cuz I never see ANYONE like our caliber out there. They all look like park n rec to me sorry to say. And no one seems to do it anymore, corps dont exist for the most part out here, although I bet in Anaheim they do, who knows though. Anyone remember Tracy Dennet, Kathy Kurtz, or Allison Mazuno?? (sp). How bout that Anne Morrison, fantastic I say.

Now I've dated myself.

Wish the gals I see on TV parades would step up to the plate and try to be a bit classy. Ah well, those were the days. When it almost became an olympic sport. Bummer.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:44 pm

I sure wish more twirlers would visit us here!

And dance and drill teams too!

Spread the word about us!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Batonmom

Re: Former Baton Twirler Looking for New Information

Post by Batonmom » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:30 am

Just a little update for those asking questions about baton twilrling....It is alive and well and remains highly competitive. NBTA is the organization that primarily exsists in So CA and USTA is strong in No CA. A good website for current and local competitions is SCBBA.org. ( Southern California Baton Boosters Association). CA State Championships will be held Sunday, November 23rd at Long Beach City College beginning at 8 a.m. It would be a great chance to see what twirling is all about. 4 twirlers from So CA will be traveling to New York that weekend, missing the Championships, to preform in the Macy's Day parade. AYOP is still taking place every year in July at the University of Notre Dame and is considered our National Championship. Construction on the campus may require a temporary change in format or location for 2009. Calif had 5 twirlers who qualified and will represent the USA in Ghent, Belgium in April of 2009 at the World Championships! Don Garcia still thrills us with occasional appearances and is a well respected judge. Our state has many talented twirlers who are training hard, competing regularly and performing across the world. Few are fortunate enough to be under the direction of a band director who will give them the opportunity to preform with their schools. Its fun to meet people with a twirling history. I'll ask our coach about the names you mentioned...she seems to know everyone! lol